cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about my secured orchard card?

tag
DFWsahd

Question about my secured orchard card?

My wife got a secured orchard card for 400 dollars about 5 or 6 years ago, a few years later she got aUSAA mastercard with cl of 18,000, so she basically quit using the Orchard card. Yesterday she received a letter from Cap one with a check for 409 dollars(i guess theturn of the original 400 we put in for the secured card) and it said that her secure card was now unsecure and to use the card she had previously. What does this mean? Is the card now unsecured and how do we know what the CL is and interest rate? Anybody know about  Ca one making her card unsecured?

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Simply827
Established Contributor

Re: Question about my secured orchard card?

Typically after some amount of time, secured cards can become unsecured. It's likely still at your old APR and CL. You can call Cap1 and ask about this and while you're at it, maybe you can get them to give you a CLI.

Starting Score: 515
Current Score: EQ08 711 EX08 731 TU08 735
Goal Score: 740+

Amex BCP $25k | Discover IT $15.7k | Cap 1 QS $10k | PSECU $10k | Citi DC $9300 | Citi DP $6800 | Barclay Ring $6500 | PayPal Extras MC $5045 | DCU $5000 | Chase Slate $5000 | Barclays AA $4100 | Chase Freedom $4000 | Union Plus $1000 | Target $500
Message 2 of 12
DFWsahd

Thanks simply and yes I will give them a call.

Message 3 of 12
bradpitt
Valued Member

Cap One unsecured all of the Orchard secured credit cards.
Everyone should be getting there security deposits back within the next few weeks.
Message 4 of 12
happy101
New Contributor

Wish they would have unsecured mine before I dropped them....

Message 5 of 12
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

@DFWsahd wrote:

My wife got a secured orchard card for 400 dollars about 5 or 6 years ago, a few years later she got aUSAA mastercard with cl of 18,000, so she basically quit using the Orchard card. Yesterday she received a letter from Cap one with a check for 409 dollars(i guess theturn of the original 400 we put in for the secured card) and it said that her secure card was now unsecure and to use the card she had previously. What does this mean? Is the card now unsecured and how do we know what the CL is and interest rate? Anybody know about  Ca one making her card unsecured?

Indeed, the card is now completely unsecured. Still the same credit limit that equaled the deposit amount (of course, minus the interest we gained from the saving account). APR is still exactly the same!

I had the secured Orchard as well, and even though the card isn't completely transitioned, it is now considered an unsecured Orchard Bank card, same account info, serviced under Cap One.

To learn a little more about the change to Cap One and what is to come, go to hellocapitalone.com Smiley Happy So far, the only differences to our account is the reflection of Capital One on credit reports, no more foriegn transaction fees, and no more fees for paying by phone!

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

congrats on the unsecure card.Yes your good to go now

Message 7 of 12
p-
Valued Contributor

If I were you I'd use it here and there until it is rebranded as cap1, then contact the EO for a product change to a prime card and a CLI.  That's my plan.  Why not keep the history on the oldest card?

Message 8 of 12
MegaZX30
Valued Member

Haha this is why I'm still learning, now that is something I did not think of. I know the switch from orchard to Capital One is happing this year. I don't have a large credit history, but my Orchard Card is my oldest revolving line. My plan was to cancel the card by year end if I couldnt get an offer to drop the Annual fee...

Regarding request of product changes / upgrades in general,

If the route is possible to upgrade, can you try for any one you want or will they tell you what you're potentially eligable for?

I like choice but if I'm just eligable for one of there prime cards in general through an upgrade. I would be happy to keep my oldest acount open in that regard

Discover IT: $2,650 -- Capital One Platinum $1K -- Cap One QuickSilver $3K -- Chase Freedom $3K
Message 9 of 12
p-
Valued Contributor

@MegaZX30 wrote:

Regarding request of product changes / upgrades in general,

If the route is possible to upgrade, can you try for any one you want or will they tell you what you're potentially eligable for?

I like choice but if I'm just eligable for one of there prime cards in general through an upgrade. I would be happy to keep my oldest acount open in that regard

For capital one cards it's easy; you folow the EO steps listed here.  They can PC and CLI to most of what you might ask for.  But they can't do anything with the Orchard Cards until this summer when they are re-branded.  

I have this weird fantasy in which I continue to PC my old 300 dollar Orchard card until it's a Capital 1 Black World Mastercard.  I don't know why, but the idea makes me smile.

For the EO steps, click the green card in my siggy.

Good luck!

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.