Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about no activity

tag
jeffery581
Established Contributor

Question about no activity

Do I need to charge a small item every month to keep credit cards active or does the payment keep it active alone? Thank you very much.

Capital One Quicksilver Visa | Capital One Quicksilver Matercard | Sony Visa | ebay Mastercard | Best Buy Visa| Shell Mastercard | CareCredit | Amazon Rewards Visa | Discover it | Lowes | Home Depot | Chase Freedom | Ebates Visa | TJMAX Platinum MasterCard | Stash Signature Visa | Hilton Amex | Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa | Bank of America Better Balance Rewards Visa | US Bank Cash Rewards | Blue Cash AMEX | IHG Rewards Club World Mastercard | Barclay Cash Foward World Mastercard | Bank of America Travel Rewards Visa | US Bank Cash 365 AMEX | Amex Everyday | Target | CITI Double Cash | WELLS FARGO PROPEL AMEX | Royal Carribean Visa | AARP REWARDS VISA | BEst Western Mastercard
Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Question about no activity

@jeffery581 wrote:

Do I need to charge a small item every month to keep credit cards active or does the payment keep it active alone? Thank you very much.

I'm not sure what you're asking. Do you mean does it count as activity if you are paying off a CC balance? If so then yes that's counted as activity and no additional charges need to be made during the month.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 2 of 25
CS800
Super Contributor

@MarineVietVet wrote:

@jeffery581 wrote:

I'm not sure what you're asking. Do you mean does it count as activity if you are paying off a CC balance? If so then yes that's counted as activity and no additional charges need to be made during the month.

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

+ 1.

Say you have $1000 that you're paying off everymonth ($100/month), then this is counted as activity, no other expenses needed.

Message 3 of 25
jeffery581
Established Contributor

Yes. I am paying down a card. So the payment is activity.

I don't want to be closed for inactivity also. And that is no payment or charge during that cycle?

The account being closed just various form issuer as to how many cycles can have no activity I guess.

Thanks.

Capital One Quicksilver Visa | Capital One Quicksilver Matercard | Sony Visa | ebay Mastercard | Best Buy Visa| Shell Mastercard | CareCredit | Amazon Rewards Visa | Discover it | Lowes | Home Depot | Chase Freedom | Ebates Visa | TJMAX Platinum MasterCard | Stash Signature Visa | Hilton Amex | Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa | Bank of America Better Balance Rewards Visa | US Bank Cash Rewards | Blue Cash AMEX | IHG Rewards Club World Mastercard | Barclay Cash Foward World Mastercard | Bank of America Travel Rewards Visa | US Bank Cash 365 AMEX | Amex Everyday | Target | CITI Double Cash | WELLS FARGO PROPEL AMEX | Royal Carribean Visa | AARP REWARDS VISA | BEst Western Mastercard
Message 4 of 25
android01
Valued Contributor

I've recently been watching how accounts report and even if the the balance is zero every month, if there was activity on the card, it is noted on my credit reports.  The BIG exception to this is AMEX.  I recently got a scorewatch alert on one of my AMEX's where I left a small balance that reported.  The alert indicated that this card hadn't had any activity on it in a year, which of course wasn't true.  I looked at my other AMEX history and it indicated no use in the past six months (since i let  small balance report) which wasn't  true either.  I guess it depends on the lender, but all of my other accounts update activity even though they report zero each month.   

EQ Fico 8 - 850
TU Fico 8 - 850
EX Fico 8 - 850
Message 5 of 25
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@jeffery581 wrote:

Yes. I am paying down a card. So the payment is activity.

I don't want to be closed for inactivity also. And that is no payment or charge during that cycle?

The account being closed just various form issuer as to how many cycles can have no activity I guess.

Thanks.

I personally wouldn't go longer than 2-3 months on most cards without some activity. But store cards seem to be more forgiving. Several times I've gone almost a year on my Best Buy card with no closure but I don't know how close I was cutting it.

But this is just my experience. That doesn't mean your experience will be the same.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

Message 6 of 25
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

I would be very suprised if CCs would close your account down for inactivity if you are paying down a balance, and not charging any new stuff on your card.

Not to say that they wouldn't close your account for other reasons, like Collections, Lates on other accounts, etc...

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 7 of 25
CS800
Super Contributor

I would be surprised if they close an account or even CLD it.

Message 8 of 25
DonDraper
Established Member

Just a day or two ago I was looking at the terms & conditions of the Barclaycard Rewards MC. and saw something I've never, ever seen in a CC's T&C before (BOLD mine):

In order to receive your new Barclaycard Rewards World MasterCard and to earn and redeem points, we do require that your account be open and in good standing, you maintain creditworthiness, and that there is regular use of your credit card account. Account inactivity, which might include 3 months or longer of non-use of the credit card account, the failure to maintain your account in good standing, and/or changes to your creditworthiness may, at our option, result in account closure which in turn will result in the forfeiture of the unredeemed points you have earned.

I've never seen a creditor state it in such precise terms. Or at all, come to think of it.

Message 9 of 25
CS800
Super Contributor

@DonDraper wrote:

Just a day or two ago I was looking at the terms & conditions of the Barclaycard Rewards MC. and saw something I've never, ever seen in a CC's T&C before (BOLD mine):

In order to receive your new Barclaycard Rewards World MasterCard and to earn and redeem points, we do require that your account be open and in good standing, you maintain creditworthiness, and that there is regular use of your credit card account. Account inactivity, which might include 3 months or longer of non-use of the credit card account, the failure to maintain your account in good standing, and/or changes to your creditworthiness may, at our option, result in account closure which in turn will result in the forfeiture of the unredeemed points you have earned.

I've never seen a creditor state it in such precise terms. Or at all, come to think of it.

Het at least they stated it clearly as you said.

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.