Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about upgrading to Banana Republic Visa

tag
dilettante
Established Contributor

Question about upgrading to Banana Republic Visa

Decided on a whim to upgrade after receiving another flyer in the mail for the invite to upgrade with a $50 rewards bonus. Called and was approved for the upgrade with a 25k limit but was asked if I wanted to keep both store and visa versions or if I wanted for her to close the store card. I told her that I thought upgrade meant that they would auto close the store card but she insisted that if I wanted, I could keep both open. I told her to go ahead and close out the store card since I don't need 2 BR cards even though my store card was 6 years old. Does anyone have both versions of the card? Or was the CSR misinformed?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Question about upgrading to Banana Republic Visa

@dilettante wrote:

Decided on a whim to upgrade after receiving another flyer in the mail for the invite to upgrade with a $50 rewards bonus. Called and was approved for the upgrade with a 25k limit but was asked if I wanted to keep both store and visa versions or if I wanted for her to close the store card. I told her that I thought upgrade meant that they would auto close the store card but she insisted that if I wanted, I could keep both open. I told her to go ahead and close out the store card since I don't need 2 BR cards even though my store card was 6 years old. Does anyone have both versions of the card? Or was the CSR misinformed?

It is a rare occurrence where folks can keep both but I imagine there are individuals that could keep both (i.e. Walmart, etc.).  Typically, they just close the store account - no point in keeping both IMO.

Message 2 of 4
dilettante
Established Contributor

I just thought it was odd when the CSR said that because when I converted the Nordstrom card, they closed out the old account and replaced it with the Visa version. I thought I had read that all balances and points would be transferred once you upgrade and that whether or not you activate the new Visa, the old account would be closed and I even said that to the CSR but she said no, I could keep both.  So was wondering why someone may want to keep both but I agree that there would be no point in me having both versions, especially since I don't shop all that much at BR, Gap, or Old Navy.  But I do like getting free shipping and alterations.

Message 3 of 4
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@dilettante wrote:

I just thought it was odd when the CSR said that because when I converted the Nordstrom card, they closed out the old account and replaced it with the Visa version. I thought I had read that all balances and points would be transferred once you upgrade and that whether or not you activate the new Visa, the old account would be closed and I even said that to the CSR but she said no, I could keep both.  So was wondering why someone may want to keep both but I agree that there would be no point in me having both versions, especially since I don't shop all that much at BR, Gap, or Old Navy.  But I do like getting free shipping and alterations.

I believe some individuals could keep the extra tradeline as some form of extra utilization cushion?  Different strokes for different folks I suppose.  Although, I agree that it seems odd the CSR offered or mentioned that you could keep the other one open.   AFAIK, they automatically closed the other one.

I like my BR Visa LUXE, free S/H and alterations plus frequent promotions/special events throughout the year. 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.