Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about when to apply

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question about when to apply

Just curious, when you guys and gals are prepping your score for a big application (like the CSR or something along those lines) how long after your reports show the score increase do you wait to apply?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: Question about when to apply

Score increase from what...micromanaging utilization?
Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Essentially yes. UTI dropping from 32% down to about 4%, I’m just waiting for all 3 CBs to show that. So can I apply that day or should I wait a month?
Message 3 of 8
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Are you attempting another Amex app or different card?
Message 4 of 8
wasCB14
Super Contributor

I don't micromanage it. My reports sometimes show big balances, but they also show a history of paying them in full.
Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you don’t have a relationship with the financial institution, it’s likely to be a hard pull, so you can wait until your score goes up like I did where I asked TU for EE on three derogatory accounts and then turned around and took that 54 point boost to go for the Sync PayPal cashback. 

Basically if you’re monitoring your credit, you can app when you get the alert that the change you’re waiting for has happened as long as you know what report will get pulled - if you don’t know, wait til it’s reflected on all three bureaus. 

If you are not looking specifically based on score, just grab WalletHub and Credit Karma. WalletHub will update Transunion every day for you, Credit Karma gives you EQ once a week but both of them are VantageScores so they’re worthless outside of monitoring, then get the Experian app and you get your Experian credit report and FICO every month as well as alerts for inquiries, new accounts, etc. 

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

It will be a chase app for the CSP, not the AMEX. And once I meet the min spend for the bonus I will do a HH aspire card to round out all my travel cards
Message 7 of 8
Remedios
Credit Mentor

For CSP, apply once all three CRAs update your score, as Chase will frequently pull two

Amex will most likely be based on SP they have on you, so wait till SP shows updated score, plus additional 2-3 weeks to ensure underwriting has the most current info.

Good luck with your apps!
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.