cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about which credit card to choose with capital one...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question about which credit card to choose with capital one...

Hello everyone! I just had a quick question about a good card to go for with Capital One that has a high chance of approving me for a high limit. I have considerably high credit(Excellent), and only have two current cards.. One from capital one which has a limit of only $1200 (my first ever credit card) and a credit card from citibank 2 months ago for $6000. Im going to be making a whole lot of large purchases in the coming months, so i definitely need a card with a high limit. I tried to increase the capital one card limit, but they only offered me a $100 increase for whatever reason, so I figured i'll just apply for another capital one card and hope it'll approve me for a decently high limit.

My question would then be, which out of the capital one cards would be best to go for? I was originally looking at the VentureOne Rewards card since it had 0% APR for the first 12 months, and no annual fee which was really nice, but wanted to get some professional feed back before anything else.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Re: Question about which credit card to choose with capital one...

@Anonymous 

Do you belong to any credit unions?

Cap one is not known for high starting lines and since you only have 2 cards with modest limits, you may not get high lines with other lenders from the start.

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 2 of 13
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Hi and welcome to the forums, @Anonymous

Any other information you can share such as your scores (since CapOne is a triple puller), age of your two cards, and so on. What are you looking for in a card? Are you looking for a high limit only? And why specifically Capital One in particular?

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jnbmom wrote:

@Anonymous 

Do you belong to any credit unions?

Cap one is not known for high starting lines and since you only have 2 cards with modest limits, you may not get high lines with other lenders from the start.

Along the same lines....is "none" a good answer for which CapOne card to chose from?  Seriously though, their card line up is blah, at best. And none of their offerings are with a triple pull, in my opinion. 

There are much better offerings, products, and benefits from other lenders, for sure. I wouldn't limit your search to just CapOne, especially if your profile supports an approval from a variety of other lenders. 

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

My equi and trans are 777/776. My first capital one card is about 5 years old I believe, my second card just 2 months. I've yet to miss a payment on any card. High limit(anything above $6000 would be nice) is pretty much the main focus, and for the reason as to why i chose Capital one is because of their virtual card system. I like the idea of added security when shopping online, and like i've said before i'm going to be purchasing a lot of items in the next couple of months, primarily online so the virtual card is a real nice cherry ontop to prevent my information from ever being stolen.

Message 5 of 13
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Any time anyone quotes EQ and TU scores, that's a red flag. Are you getting your scores from credit karma? If so, those are VantageScore, not FICO. In addition, cap1 doesn't usually pull FICO 8 or 9 like most lenders, they use mortgage, which is normally lower. If you're looking for a higher limit, you may want to look at a lender that pulls your highest score.

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am yes, i had no idea they were considered vantagescore! I actually have no idea what that is until I looked it up. I do use CreditKarma, what would you recommend then to use to view my credit score besides credit karma then, if you don't mind me asking? Just use MyFico to look it up?

Message 7 of 13
DONZI
Established Contributor

@Anonymous-- myFICO has a 3B report subscription for $39.95 / month which also provides additional value in monitoring and ID theft help, etc. Like many other paid providers would have. I've only used the score, report and alerts so can't comment on the monitoring, etc. However the myFICO service provides more scores than FICO 8, which I think is an exclusive benefit here.

I signed up for CreditSecure which is an Amex + Experian service that was offered as a $1 trial via amex. I like it okay, the service provides 3B reports and FICO 8 scores for ~40% of the myFICO cost. I do kind of like the report presentation on CreditSecure better than the myFICO display...

EDIT: not certain, but CreditSecure might require an amex card or savings since it apparently requires an amex online account.

I have not used CreditCheck Total but it's gotten a lot of attention here on the forum(s) and apparently will offer a reduced price if you call to cancel the trial before it expires.

Best I can tell, all the stand-alone free credit score providers (as opposed to free FICO scores provided by some credit card vendors, on their account management page) will be Vantage 3.0 scores so not any more meaningful than Credit Karma provided scores.

2014 credit2020 credit2021 credit2023 credit
paypal credit imagecredit card imagecredit card imagecredit card imagecredit card imagecharge card imagecredit card imagecredit card imagecharge card imagecharge card image
[2020-12-09]=[EQ8|786]-[TU8|746]-[EX8|772] .... gardening until I can't (again).
[2023-10-01]=[EQ8|797]-[TU8|776]-[EX8|775]
Message 8 of 13
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

I know CapOne doesn't get a whole lot of love around here except (primarily) for folks rebuilding, that said, triple pull or no, $95 annual fee or no, I find their Savor card more than a bit compelling, in fact, compelling enough I will probably apply for one when I come out of the garden next year.

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello everyone! I just had a quick question about a good card to go for with Capital One that has a high chance of approving me for a high limit. I have considerably high credit(Excellent), and only have two current cards.. One from capital one which has a limit of only $1200 (my first ever credit card) and a credit card from citibank 2 months ago for $6000. Im going to be making a whole lot of large purchases in the coming months, so i definitely need a card with a high limit. I tried to increase the capital one card limit, but they only offered me a $100 increase for whatever reason, so I figured i'll just apply for another capital one card and hope it'll approve me for a decently high limit.

My question would then be, which out of the capital one cards would be best to go for? I was originally looking at the VentureOne Rewards card since it had 0% APR for the first 12 months, and no annual fee which was really nice, but wanted to get some professional feed back before anything else.

Thanks!

Why apply for another Cap 1 card?   No guarentee they will give you a high limit.  I wouldn't take a chance applying for a card that will grow slow with CLI, no chance of getting a high CL and one that will pull my credit from all 3 CB.   Why don't you either join a credit union if you're not a member of one and get a good card from them or try Discover.  At least they have a pre qual site so you can see if you are approved before taking a HP.   Cap 1 just isn't a card that they give good CLI no matter how long you have it as it even appears in your case.   Use your hard pull elsewhere don't waste 3 hp for one card.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.