Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question for Cap one guru's

tag
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

Question for Cap one guru's

Hey guys I wanted your thoughts about a conversation I had with an agent at Cap One via Chat yesterday . So I had a question about my QS1 acct so I got on Chat and during the chat conversation I asked was my acct eligible for any PC , he said my acct was not at this time being that it's still new . Then he proceeds to tell me that "noticing I only had one card with Cap one , I would encourage you to apply for another card" those were his exact words . I then asked him about the 6 mth /one acct opening rule. He then said there was no limit on how often you can apply and urged me to app for the card I wanted .
Is this just some agent with misinformation or doesn't know his stuff ? I know for a fact that this is or was a current rule from this forum and my Fiance's personal experience when trying to app for more than one CC within 6mths with them. Anyways just wanted your guys thoughts. I am only at 3 mths with my QS1. So I know it would be too early to app for anything yet if the rule is in affect. I also printed the conversation from my laptop just to have a proof. Thanks guys
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Question for Cap one guru's

That agent is just giving you script that he has been provided. He is correct there is no limit to the number of times you can apply but Cap1 will only approve a new account every 6 months. You can apply if you want but they will just send you a letter stating that your request was denied and there is a application that is in progress or recently processed and will state that your credit was not affected by the request. Just give it a few more months if you want a second card and you can always try for a CLI it's a SP and it will tell you how much you qualify for if it's possible.

Message 2 of 11
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

I will not be apping for anything until later on in the year , just kinda sad that I know more about it than the guy working there . It just kinda made me mad that I specifically asked him about the 6 mth rule telling him of my Fiance's experience, he dismissed that amd said there was no rule ..
Message 3 of 11
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

Amd thanks yes I am waiting on my statement to close Thursday and I'll ask for a CLI on my QS1
Message 4 of 11
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Most CSR have no idea what they are talking about and are out sourced, though there are a few gems in the bunch who actually know what they are saying...most just read off script.

the rule for new acts with cap1 is 6 months. You can apply all you want, and rack up 2-3 inq at a time, getting denial letters, but my advice would be to wait till 6 mo and 1 day after your first acct was opened.
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

That agent is just giving you script that he has been provided. He is correct there is no limit to the number of times you can apply but Cap1 will only approve a new account every 6 months. You can apply if you want but they will just send you a letter stating that your request was denied and there is a application that is in progress or recently processed and will state that your credit was not affected by the request. Just give it a few more months if you want a second card and you can always try for a CLI it's a SP and it will tell you how much you qualify for if it's possible.

+1 

My experience is that I spoke with a CSR. She stated I can apply anytime I want, but apps within 6 months of each other "may" be denied. In other words, the 6-month rule is definitely in effect. That "may" in my mind translates to a "will".  

Message 6 of 11
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Of course they will tell you can app all you want, its not their credit going to get dinged for 2-3 hps each time you apply. They are probably like the cashiers at retail stores, gotta fill a quota. Smiley Wink what we got to remember is csr's and cashiers do not have power of approval lol. Just hang in a bit more aduke, youll get yours soon enoughSmiley Happy
Message 7 of 11
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

I agree , I was not saying that I was about to app for another cc , I was just asking if you guys thought the CSR was basically full of it or whatever lol I'm not in any hurry , so I can wait ..Just found it crazy that I knew more than the person working there ..
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you app for a second card does that mess up your 6 mo CLI? I'm debating apping for a new card versus asking for a CLI in Jan... I would combine limits. My CLI are always crappy at $150 to $250. I know I would get a better SL on a new card. (Or I would hope so as all of my cards have at least been $500 even when I was in the low 600's)
Message 9 of 11
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Aduke1122 wrote:
Hey guys I wanted your thoughts about a conversation I had with an agent at Cap One via Chat yesterday . So I had a question about my QS1 acct so I got on Chat and during the chat conversation I asked was my acct eligible for any PC , he said my acct was not at this time being that it's still new . Then he proceeds to tell me that "noticing I only had one card with Cap one , I would encourage you to apply for another card" those were his exact words . I then asked him about the 6 mth /one acct opening rule. He then said there was no limit on how often you can apply and urged me to app for the card I wanted .
Is this just some agent with misinformation or doesn't know his stuff ? I know for a fact that this is or was a current rule from this forum and my Fiance's personal experience when trying to app for more than one CC within 6mths with them. Anyways just wanted your guys thoughts. I am only at 3 mths with my QS1. So I know it would be too early to app for anything yet if the rule is in affect. I also printed the conversation from my laptop just to have a proof. Thanks guys

CSR was blowing smoke, forget about it.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.