cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question for Chase Sapphire Preferred customers.

tag
IcEWoLF
Frequent Contributor

Question for Chase Sapphire Preferred customers.

Just a question, I have a Chase Sapphire card and looking to go for the Chase Sapphire Preferred account.

I currently have 2 cards with Chase already, Chase Freedom Visa and Chase Sapphire Visa Signature.

My question to you guys would be, I understand if I apply on the website they will by default give me a Visa card, should I request to go with the Chase Sapphire Prefered Mastercard?

Any benefits to go with the Mastercard version over the Visa or Visa Signature?

Also guys, would you just upgrade the card or would you apply for a new card to get the 40k UR Points bonus? Is it worth a hit?

EQ: 768 TU: 769 EXP: 805
Ritz Carlton: 18k
CSP: 7K | Chase Freedom: 5.7K
MERRILL+® VS: 9K | BOA AMEX: 1K
BOA 123: 7K Discover IT: 6K | Discover Chrome 4K | Costco AMEX: 15K | AMEX PRG NPSL | AMEX BCE 15K | Barclay NFL: 4.9K | Citi TYP 7K | Amazon Chase 1.7K | Barclaycard Arrival Plus WEMC 5K | Citi DC 5K | FNBO AMEX 4.8K | CAP 1 QS 10K | U.S. Bank Cash+ VS 5K |U.S. Bank Perks+ VS 6K
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Radek7752
Contributor

Re: Question for Chase Sapphire Preferred customers.

@IcEWoLF wrote:

Just a question, I have a Chase Sapphire card and looking to go for the Chase Sapphire Preferred account.

I currently have 2 cards with Chase already, Chase Freedom Visa and Chase Sapphire Visa Signature.

My question to you guys would be, I understand if I apply on the website they will by default give me a Visa card, should I request to go with the Chase Sapphire Prefered Mastercard?

Any benefits to go with the Mastercard version over the Visa or Visa Signature?

Also guys, would you just upgrade the card or would you apply for a new card to get the 40k UR Points bonus? Is it worth a hit?

Both the Visa and Mastercard versions of the CSP are virtually the same.There are some slight differences, but they are completely negligible -- at least in my opinion.

I applied for the card on Chase's site and was approved for the Visa Signature. I called a few days later and requested the World Mastercard because I didn't have one of those, and because I like the silver Mastercard logo. The Freedom as a Visa and the CSP as a MC work very well in my wallet.

As for your last question, I would strongly urge you to apply and get the sign up bonus. It is one of the best out there.

BoA: Virgin Atlantic World Elite Mastercard
Chase: Sapphire Preferred (WMC)/Freedom/Amazon/Auto Loan (41k)
Citi: Thank You Preferred/Forward/Simplicity
AmEx: Zync/Blue Cash/Starwood Preferred
Discover: IT
GE: JCP/Walmart Discover
Message 2 of 12
mauwow0682
Frequent Contributor

+1 if you can afford the hp go for it. Best sign up bonus out there I wouldn't leave it on the table. It will give you a nice boost in your points earning towards what you are going for.

Starting Score: 620 FAKO
Current Score: FICO TU 715 (wal-mart) FICO EQ 692
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 12
IcEWoLF
Frequent Contributor

@Radek7752, is the Chase Sapphire Preferred Mastercard Metal as well?

BOA 123: 7K Discover IT: 6K | Discover Chrome 4K | Costco AMEX: 15K | AMEX PRG NPSL | AMEX BCE 15K | Barclay NFL: 4.9K | Citi TYP 7K | Amazon Chase 1.7K | Barclaycard Arrival Plus WEMC 5K | Citi DC 5K | FNBO AMEX 4.8K | CAP 1 QS 10K | U.S. Bank Cash+ VS 5K |U.S. Bank Perks+ VS 6K
Message 4 of 12
Radek7752
Contributor

@IcEWoLF wrote:

Yes it is. The only difference is the network logo on the back. I still have my original Visa Signature CSP (inactive) and that's the only difference I notice.

BoA: Virgin Atlantic World Elite Mastercard
Chase: Sapphire Preferred (WMC)/Freedom/Amazon/Auto Loan (41k)
Citi: Thank You Preferred/Forward/Simplicity
AmEx: Zync/Blue Cash/Starwood Preferred
Discover: IT
GE: JCP/Walmart Discover
Message 5 of 12
IcEWoLF
Frequent Contributor

@Radek7752 wrote:

@IcEWoLF wrote:

Yes it is. The only difference is the network logo on the back. I still have my original Visa Signature CSP (inactive) and that's the only difference I notice.

Nice, I already have a Visa Signature card with my CS, so I really don't want another one, want to get a MC since MC is the only card type I don't have.

Message 6 of 12
KIPPIE12
Established Contributor

Maybe some can chime in, but i didn't think you could get the MC version online.  Don't you have to apply in branch?  There has been talk for awhile now, that the MC version is going away?

Current Score: EQ: 828, EX: 833, TU: 820 Citi TY Premier WEMC 46.5, (Since 1983)Discover 15.6k|BOA WMC 30.5k|Barclays Juniper Rewards 15k|Barclays Amex 20k| Cap One QS WMC 15K|Chase Freedom VS 19.3k|Citi Dividend WEMC 25k|FNBO 15.5k|CSP 22.1K|Chase Marriott 31.3k|Citi TYP 20K|Citi DP 16.5k|Macys 5k|Sams MasterCard 15k|Barclay Arrival Plus WEMC 18.7k|Chase IHG WMC 26k|Citi Double Cash 10k|Chase MileagePlus Explorer 14k|Amex Everyday 16.2|BBVA Amex 22.5k|Total Rewards VS 12.5k|SGV 10K|Venture 12k|BOA Virgin Atlantic WEMC 11.2K|MB Amex 9.5k
Message 7 of 12
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Yeah@kippie- I read on another post that the MC wasn't avail any more lol
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 8 of 12
kilj0y
Regular Contributor

You can no longer app for the MasterCard version. There is also a slim check you can try to PC to the MasterCard version after you have the visa preferred as well.
Message 9 of 12
bribro
Valued Contributor

@KIPPIE12 wrote:

Maybe some can chime in, but i didn't think you could get the MC version online.  Don't you have to apply in branch?  There has been talk for awhile now, that the MC version is going away?

AFAIK, you cannot currently apply for a CSP MC directly, either online or in branch. There was an online application link a few weeks ago, but it has since disappeared. It may come back in the future, but who knows.

The CSP defaults to Visa Signature, but you have a good shot of switching to an MC right after you're approved. For all intents and purposes, the MC and Visa version are the same, but people were interested in getting the MC to double dip on the sign up bonuses.

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.