Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question for people who have banking relationship with lenders overseas

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Question for people who have banking relationship with lenders overseas

@enharu wrote:

I tried calling Citibank Singapore and spoke with the branch manager that I usually deal with. I was told it can be done and had been done before as well, but the process doesn't seem to be as definitive as Amex, and it also varies on the type of account. Citi happens to be my go-to bank over here, so hopefully something good can come out of this. He said he'll call me back in a couple days. I guess I could try calling EO (US side) as well in the morning.

Right, from what I have seen, in certain circumstances, foreign Citi groups can "help support" your application in the US, which is, as you say, not as definitive as actually letting you transfer a card!

What are you looking for from Citi as you already have a good Citi card?  Higher CL or more cards?

Message 11 of 18
enharu
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

Right, from what I have seen, in certain circumstances, foreign Citi groups can "help support" your application in the US, which is, as you say, not as definitive as actually letting you transfer a card!

What are you looking for from Citi as you already have a good Citi card?  Higher CL or more cards?

Mostly just higher CLs. I don't mind applying for the Thank You Premier though if everything goes well with Amex and Citi is able to come through and help. The priority for me right now is Amex.

I just called Amex this morning. Everything was pretty smooth. Gave them my info and they do ask for quite a lot of info about what I'm doing over here and some background info. Their systems are all interlinked it seems. He was able to pull up everything about my Singapore account info, history and a copy of my SG credit report. Pretty efficient and I was quite surprised. Had to allow him to pull my US credit report in order to proceed, and I did. Was hoping to sneak away w/o an inquiry but I guess not. Basically I get to pick a revolver of my choice (YAY!), and account will be backdated if approved. Tried asking about the CL but couldn't get a definite answer. Tried asking for hints or past cases he dealt with but he said it really varies. I was told chances of approval are high but we'll see I suppose. I thought it'll be a 100% approval since it's supposed to be a transfer but I guess not. My SG account is kept open as well since I told them I still want it. 

As for Citi, i called EO, and gave all my SG account info. Was told he'll call me back. Seems like the process with Citi is indeed going to be quite a hassle.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 12 of 18
enharu
Super Contributor

Ok brief update.

Process with citi is getting nowhere, since I have already established credit in the US and what they have is more for people who just got here recently. So no CLI, nor new line of credit. But basically notated my account to take consideration of these info for future references, such as when I'm applying for new credit. Basically not much help if any.

Amex pulled reports from both US and Singapore credit bureaus. Got call from them today asking for additional info. singapore tax documents are already on file with them and I asked to be considered using whatever income shown on tax docs they already have since I don't want to send anymore stuff in if possible, but if necessary then I will. App still processing.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 13 of 18
myjourney
Super Contributor

@enharu wrote:
Ok brief update.

Process with citi is getting nowhere, since I have already established credit in the US and what they have is more for people who just got here recently. So no CLI, nor new line of credit. But basically notated my account to take consideration of these info for future references, such as when I'm applying for new credit. Basically not much help if any.

Amex pulled reports from both US and Singapore credit bureaus. Got call from them today asking for additional info. singapore tax documents are already on file with them and I asked to be considered using whatever income shown on tax docs they already have since I don't want to send anymore stuff in if possible, but if necessary then I will. App still processing.

Good luck fingers crossed

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 14 of 18
enharu
Super Contributor

Thanks!
Message 15 of 18
enharu
Super Contributor

Just got an update. Transfer is approved.
Approved for 42k!
Still got to keep my original card.
Account should show original member date.
No sign up bonus however.
CL is lower than what I have overseas but I'm more than happy with what they gave.

Message 16 of 18
enharu
Super Contributor

Longtime lurker: thanks a lot for telling me about this!
Message 17 of 18
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

You're welcome!   This is perhaps the biggest plus about Amex (for this in the applicable group), especially if you are trying to get your first card in your new country, this can save months of pain and denials.

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.