Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question for the wise

tag
myjourney
Super Contributor

Question for the wise

I have a old account, in good standing, never late, pays as agreed which was opened in 1995 closed in 2003 scheduled to fall of CR august of 2013. (LOWES) Listed on CR as inactive.

My question is has anyone ever had an account reopened? I understand it would result in a HP but I think that would be fine for the age of the account and the positive history not to mention I shop there anyway? 

Thanks

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

Re: Question for the wise

I think there have been stories of it happening - but rarely from an account that old. I would think that given how much time has passed the company would want to do a review of your credit history through the normal application process. 

I suppose in this situation the only way to find out is to ask.

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 2 of 13
myjourney
Super Contributor

@SnackTrader wrote:

I think there have been stories of it happening - but rarely from an account that old. I would think that given how much time has passed the company would want to do a review of your credit history through the normal application process. 

I suppose in this situation the only way to find out is to ask.

Thanks SnackTrader

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 3 of 13
Pilotdude
Established Contributor

I have to agree with snack on this one.

A company like Lowe's would also have an obligation to write good loans for its shareholder's protection.  I think they would probably be prohibited from issuing a card after so long without a looksy at the persons credit report.

Side note:  I see a lot of folks with Lowe's cards...is there something special above a regular store card that I am missing when it comes to Lowe's cards?

NFCU #1 Fan!! NO MOAR APPS TIL 10/13 Minimum!!
TU -746, EX - 721, EQ -745
Cards:NFCU Flag Visa Sig $10000, CSP $8500, AMEX BCP $2000 Freedom $3500, Disc IT $5000, Cap 1 Green $2100, Credit 1 CLOSED! AU on Amex Green, Discover $2000, Cap One Plat $1000
Message 4 of 13
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Pilotdude wrote:

A company like Lowe's would also have an obligation to write good loans for its shareholder's protection.  I think they would probably be prohibited from issuing a card after so long without a looksy at the persons credit report.

Side note:  I see a lot of folks with Lowe's cards...is there something special above a regular store card that I am missing when it comes to Lowe's cards?

Nothing really special I get better points with some of my reward cards ....just would hate to see a 10 years good account fall off CR if there was a chance to save it with just one HP which isn't a problem...they do run specials from time to time 6 month 0% finc

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 5 of 13
E150GT
Frequent Contributor

I wonder what it will do to your score?

CSP-$8700, Amex BCE-17.2k, Chase Freedom-$5700
Discover It-$6600, USAA MC-$5900 Ink Bold- $12k United Explorer-$5k
Message 6 of 13
myjourney
Super Contributor

Thats what im wondering as well if I that account could be reopened it could become a 20 year account...makes you think... hummm

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 7 of 13
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

@Pilotdude wrote:

Just to clarify, very few retail stores actually underwrite their own credit cards.  So this one is probably underwritten elsewhere, through an agreement with Lowe's  (a check on the Lowe's website says GECRB).  And with that in mind, there's always a chance that the card issuer has changed since the OP got the card originally, which would probably provide even greater difficulties.

Just the same, your point is well-taken Pilotdude.

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 8 of 13
myjourney
Super Contributor

@SnackTrader wrote:

@Pilotdude wrote:

Just to clarify, very few retail stores actually underwrite their own credit cards.  So this one is probably underwritten elsewhere, through an agreement with Lowe's  (a check on the Lowe's website says GECRB).  And with that in mind, there's always a chance that the card issuer has changed since the OP got the card originally, which would probably provide even greater difficulties.

Just the same, your point is well-taken Pilotdude.

Point well taken as a matter of fact im pretty sure orginal underwriter was citi or chase so yes it would probably end up as a new account. Thanks to all for the input

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 9 of 13
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

I have a old account, in good standing, never late, pays as agreed which was opened in 1995 closed in 2003 scheduled to fall of CR august of 2013. (LOWES) Listed on CR as inactive.

My question is has anyone ever had an account reopened? I understand it would result in a HP but I think that would be fine for the age of the account and the positive history not to mention I shop there anyway? 

Thanks

AFAIK GE will not reopen an account, at least i've never heard of it.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.