cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question on Amazon Prime (3% instead of 5%)

tag
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

Question on Amazon Prime (3% instead of 5%)

My Amazon Prime card was giving 5% on Amazon for several years. Before the extension of the prime membership for another year, I decided to not continue the membership on the prior account and instead, open a new amazon prime accont. The new account strangely shows that the Amazon prime card gives only 3% cashback instead of 5%. Does anyone know the reasons? Is there a way to get 5% cashback again? Shall I switch back to the prior Amazon account to get 5%?

Some years ago, the Amazon procedure was giving 5% cashback only on one Amazon Prime account that makes sense. It might not be true any more, requiring to stick to only one account till the end of life or something else...

Fico8: EX~EQ~TU~810 (12 month goal~840).
BOA (CCR, UCR), Chase (CFF, CSP, Amazon, CIC, CIU), US Bank (Cash+, AR, Go, Ralphs), Discover, Citi (CCC, DC, SYW), Amex (BCP, HH, Biz Gold, BBC, BBP), Affinity CR, Cap1(Walmart), Barclay View.
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Question on Amazon Prime (3% instead of 5%)

If I'm understanding correctly does the new Amazon account have prime membership? That is one of the prerequisites for getting the 5%

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=202109390

Message 2 of 8
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

Yes. It has Prime membership (the annual fee would be paid after its 30 day trial). Maybe it should pass its trial period to gain 5% again. If it would be the case, it practically prevents to purchase properly due to smaller cashback Smiley Sad

BOA (CCR, UCR), Chase (CFF, CSP, Amazon, CIC, CIU), US Bank (Cash+, AR, Go, Ralphs), Discover, Citi (CCC, DC, SYW), Amex (BCP, HH, Biz Gold, BBC, BBP), Affinity CR, Cap1(Walmart), Barclay View.
Message 3 of 8
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

That may be the case. If it's an urgent purchase you can perhaps contact customer service to explore your options assuming there are any

Message 4 of 8
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

Got solved. It needed to verify the Amazon credit card for 5% cashback earning and it is working fine...

Message 5 of 8
staticvoidmain
Established Contributor

@xenon3030 wrote:

My Amazon Prime card was giving 5% on Amazon for several years. Before the extension of the prime membership for another year, I decided to not continue the membership on the prior account and instead, open a new amazon prime accont. The new account strangely shows that the Amazon prime card gives only 3% cashback instead of 5%. Does anyone know the reasons? Is there a way to get 5% cashback again? Shall I switch back to the prior Amazon account to get 5%?

Some years ago, the Amazon procedure was giving 5% cashback only on one Amazon Prime account that makes sense. It might not be true any more, requiring to stick to only one account till the end of life or something else...

My first thought is that your new Amazon account is not tied to your card account. It is giving 3% because your card is still using your old account (which is not Prime) to determine your cashback, in this case, 3%.

To check, what do you see from this link? amazon.com/myrewardscard 

It should tell you your current card and rewards structure.

Also, look at page 2, entry number 5 on the rewards agreement.

However, if you switched Amazon.com accounts, use multiple Amazon.com accounts, or your card account is
loaded into multiple Amazon.com accounts, then your card account may not automatically earn 5% Back on purchases
made at Amazon.com or Whole Foods Sites and may instead earn 3% Back on such purchases.

In such cases, you will need to confirm your card account number and select your card account on that Amazon.com
account with eligible Prime membership in order to earn 5% Back on purchases made at Amazon.com and Whole
Foods Sites (subject to the limitations described in section 3 of How you can earn points above). Visit the “Manage
Payment Options” page via “Your Account” page on Amazon.com as described in . . .

Message 6 of 8
staticvoidmain
Established Contributor

@xenon3030 wrote:

Got solved. It needed to verify the Amazon credit card for 5% cashback earning and it is working fine...

Nevermind my last response then.

Message 7 of 8
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Off topic (sorry!) but...   I've had Prime for so long I cannot remember, but if you don't, does Amazon keep giving you offers to try?  I recently got a free 30 day trial with Amazon UK, and soon after that ended and I ordered something, they offered prime for a week for 99p  (which was a good deal, cheaper than paying for shipping on those items) and soon after another reasonable offer for a month.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.