Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question on BofA blacklist

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question on BofA blacklist

A friend of mine has a collection from a old student Loan from BofA. Does that prevent her from getting a CC with BofA? Thx
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
JR_TX
Valued Contributor

Re: Question on BofA blacklist

I Don't think BofA blacklists anyone permanently unlike Amex. They might not approve 'til a certain time. I burned BofA/FIA in 01/2011 on my dc'd BK7 for a very substantial amount and they let me back in in 06/2015 via their 99/500 counter and approved for another cc Cash Reward Sep last year with $2K SL. I think EX 700+ with good profile might get someone in. YMMV of course.
New cc TLs : 0/6 ; 0/12 ; 0/24 | HPs EX 3 EQ 3 TU 4 | AAoA 7y10m | UTIL 1% - 4% | $300K+ Total Limits

Message 2 of 13
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@JR_TX wrote:
I Don't think BofA blacklists anyone permanently unlike Amex. They might not approve 'til a certain time. I burned BofA/FIA in 01/2011 on my dc'd BK7 for a very substantial amount and they let me back in in 06/2015 via their 99/500 counter and approved for another cc Cash Reward Sep last year with $2K SL. I think EX 700+ with good profile might get someone in. YMMV of course.

Yeah, I had a pretty similar experience - BK7 discharged 1/2011, included a BoA card they had acquired from another lender. I got a secured card 05/2015, got it unsecured in 8 months, and recently got an autoCLI from $300 to $1800. I havene't app'd for any of their other cards, my 7 derogatory accounts included in BK fall off over the next couple of months, so I'm in the garden until this fall.

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@JR_TX wrote:

Personally, I think there is some sort of blacklist...about a decade ago I defaulted on their $99/$500 card...BoA is the only bank were I never get any pre-quals. CapitalOne, on the other hand, sends me pre-approvals nearly every day of the week.

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think there is too. I have been denied for "previous history with Bank of America" or some BS like that. I disnt know if it was a true blacklist or just a random denial reason. This was a year or so ago tho so maybe it has changed.
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I think there is too. I have been denied for "previous history with Bank of America" or some BS like that. I disnt know if it was a true blacklist or just a random denial reason. This was a year or so ago tho so maybe it has changed.

Though, to be frank, I'm not desperate for their 3-2-1 card. They don't have too many (any?) cards that interest me now, or in the future. Honestly, their overall portfolio is kind of bland.

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I certainly don't want one either-tho I think they have a decent cash back card. Can't remember it has been so long since I have looked at them.

I found out last night my friend only had 1 INQ on TU and EQ and 2 on EX.... lol. I told her to try it. It's not like she will get denied for too many INQs. :/
I'll report back for data points once I find out if she got it or not.
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

AFAIK I am still blacklisted from BoA.

Last application was mid 2016, declined and they brought up previous C/O. At least they pulled a report that time unlike many other applications over the years with no HP.
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

How did those who say they've been blacklisted find out you were?

I had a collection/judgement from them years ago and never filed for a bk.

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

How did those who say they've been blacklisted find out you were?

I had a collection/judgement from them years ago and never filed for a bk.

I don't know for sure, I haven't applied.

My observation is as followed: I will have "pre-selected/pre-approved" offers for you when I use the CC finder tools at other banks (i.e. Chase, Citi, whoever) but Bank of America will always come back with "no specific offers", just like Amex does. Just my 2 cents.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.