Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question on Canceling a Card and AAoA

tag
--HighHopes--
Regular Contributor

Re: Question on Canceling a Card and AAoA

Well I went ahead and canceled the Credit One just because I felt like it reflected poorly on my CR in comparison to the cards I have now and I didn't want them to see them still on there when they soft pulled me for a CLI (if they do).  One of my prime cards I have now was through recon and that was one of the reasons I gave them as to why I wanted the card to begin with (get rid of my low limit, high fee cards).  But as to the previous post...I'm sure they will offer to raise you!  I actually never got a CLI from them...had the $500 since the beginning bc when they offered me one they want to charge you a fee to give you the CLI so I never accepted it and my APR was like 22.99 with them but I never carried a balance so I really didn't care, just took the card to have a VISA/MC on my file in hopes of getting better things and it did pay off so I am thankful to them for the start they gave me in helping to establish my credit...just didn't need them anymore.  And I don't know how long you've had your card but you could probably go ahead and get them to do it now just by calling and if nothing else pretending you want to close.  In all honesty I didn't have to try hard or anything...they just first said they would waive my annual fee and I said no thank you and then he offered to drop my APR to 18.99 and again I said no thank you, and then he said he could give me a fee free CLI to $1500 which would triple my current CL and compare with the other cards I recently got.  Of course I still said no thanks as I just really wasn't interested, but that just shows a general reference to how it went about an how easy it was.  Now I may add that since I had the card (last november) about 6-7 months I have put around $2.5K on it and paid it off without ever keeping a balance above 5% (for util purposes) so that may have factored into their offer I don't know, but if you've been with them more than a few months it wouldn't hurt to trySmiley Happy  If nothing else you can always say nevermind I think I'll keep it iif they don't offer you something better!

Message 11 of 14
MissMoni223
Senior Contributor

@--HighHopes-- wrote:

Just got off the phone to them after trying to get through to a human being for over an hour!!  They offered to increase my CL from $500 to $1500 offered to decrease the annual fee to $25 and reduce the APR from 22.99 to 18.99...lol...yeah...i told them no thanks and canceled it out.  Thanks for helping me with this decision guys!  I really appreciate it and am glad I got those sharks off my report.  Now I'm all good with prime cards except for the Capital One which is a joke limit and AF but what do you guys think about  it??  Its the QuickSilver One card with an annual fee of $39 which has already been paid and a CL of $300 which is a total joke:/  I wanted to be in with them and have a good rep with em but that is crazy.  What do you think I should do....dump them too, or ride it out and see what happens??

I closed my Credit One Visa this morning because I received a notification stating that my $99 AF was coming due and I was like absolutely NOT!!! They did offer to lower my interest rate, but did not offer to reduce my AF so it is officially gone.

On the note of Capital One, you can contact their EO and they will waive the AF for your card.  Just did that last month and they credited the $39 back to my account. Smiley Happy

Gardening Until Further Notice
15 Credit Cards (12 Major Banks & 3 Store Cards)
Message 12 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 13 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@--HighHopes-- wrote:

Just got off the phone to them after trying to get through to a human being for over an hour!!  They offered to increase my CL from $500 to $1500 offered to decrease the annual fee to $25 and reduce the APR from 22.99 to 18.99...lol...yeah...i told them no thanks and canceled it out.  Thanks for helping me with this decision guys!  I really appreciate it and am glad I got those sharks off my report.  Now I'm all good with prime cards except for the Capital One which is a joke limit and AF but what do you guys think about  it??  Its the QuickSilver One card with an annual fee of $39 which has already been paid and a CL of $300 which is a total joke:/  I wanted to be in with them and have a good rep with em but that is crazy.  What do you think I should do....dump them too, or ride it out and see what happens??

I would suggest that you ride it out.  I don't know how long you had it but if you show good payment history, you usually will get CLI around 6 mos.  I had the Platinum since 9/14, after 6 mos got increase from 750 to 3750 and just now decided to PC to qucksilver and got it without the AF.  Maybe you can also PC it too or get the fee waived.

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.