Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question on behalf of my soon to be fiance'

tag
jcstarkey8826
Established Contributor

Question on behalf of my soon to be fiance'

So my gf recently graduated college. She doesnt know her FICO, just that her CK says 687. We assume she is average. Nothing negative on her reports.

She has 2 SLs never late with 2 yr history, and a Kohls store card never late, with 8 months history or so.

Im trying to slowly introduce her into the credit world and establishing herself. I didnt have anyone that knew the dangers to help guide me along and show me the ill effects of poor decisions. (who knows if that would have changed my credit anyways lol) so I want to help her build up a nice file/score so that she doesnt have to  go through this rebuilding process ive been dealing with for the past 2 years.

My question is, what credit card should/could she get. I will have her pull her FICO score if that helps, but theres nothing bad on it, just thin files. She gets offers from discover every week. Im just wondering what CC is willing to work with light history?

In my wallet: Discover it 6800 CL, Capital One Quicksilver Sig 5k CL, Chase Freedom 4k CL, GCU Patinum Visa 1500 CL
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Razeus
Frequent Contributor

Re: Question on behalf of my soon to be fiance'

She could have stuff on there she doesn't even know about.  When I was rebuilding this past year, starting with a 480 score, I had 3 collection accounts, all which I got removed via dispute, and 1 that was mine, but I paid.

I would just get her a basic Chase Freedom Card and start with that to see how she does.  Don't app spree her with 4-5 cards, you'll just overwhelm her.

My Wallet:
AMEX Platinum | Discover It $20.3k | Chase Sapphire Reserved $16k | Chase United $12k | AMEX SimplyCash Plus Business $11.6k | AMEX Schwab $9k | AMEX BCEP $8.2k | Citi Costco Anywhere Visa $8k | Chase Amazon Visa $8k | Chase Sapphire Preferred $7k | Chase Freedom $5k | Citi Simplicity $5k | Paypal Extras Platinum $5k | Wells Fargo $5k | Citi Best Buy $4.2k | Citi Visa Signature $3k | Care Credit $3k
Message 2 of 5
jcstarkey8826
Established Contributor

@Razeus wrote:

She could have stuff on there she doesn't even know about.  When I was rebuilding this past year, starting with a 480 score, I had 3 collection accounts, all which I got removed via dispute, and 1 that was mine, but I paid.

I would just get her a basic Chase Freedom Card and start with that to see how she does.  Don't app spree her with 4-5 cards, you'll just overwhelm her.

Yes, we are looking for ONE card only to start her out. She has always had her parents take care of everything financially and now we are trying to grow her up a bit.

We've pulled her credit reports, so we know whats on it, nothing bad. We just dont know her fico score.

In my wallet: Discover it 6800 CL, Capital One Quicksilver Sig 5k CL, Chase Freedom 4k CL, GCU Patinum Visa 1500 CL
Message 3 of 5
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

IMO, adding a few store cards from places that you shop at regularly is a good way to develop credit hitory.   A co-branded store card is even better.  

Message 4 of 5
jcstarkey8826
Established Contributor

really the only card we got that we know will be used long term was the kohls charge as we both buy our work attire from them. Other than that we arent loyal to any stores so I didnt want her to add another. I was trying to get her used to a revolving credit card that she can use and hopefully build on and get rewards etc. keep her away from the cards ive had to deal with over the years lol

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.