Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question on maximizing Chase UR Points with CSP, CSR & Freedom

tag
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

Re: Question on maximizing Chase UR Points with CSP, CSR & Freedom

@jdbkiang wrote:

The rather comprehensive trip delay/cancellation insurance, along with the primary rental coverage, are the main reasons I even keep the CSR anymore. After the TC, I'm basically paying $150 for insurance, since I have the Hilton Aspire, and I have other cards for most travel/dining bonuses. 

I have considered using the Premier for travel insurance, but their insurance doesn't seem as comprehensive as the CSR, and there's also no primary rental coverage. I also considered downgrading to the CSP or simply using my CIP, but the trip delay (12 hours vs 6 hours) is worse. 

I think CSP has the same car rental insurance that CSR has. I think CSR has lost a lot of value for me when there are other options for me that can replicate the bonus categories CSR has. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 21 of 25
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

@jdbkiang wrote:

The rather comprehensive trip delay/cancellation insurance, along with the primary rental coverage, are the main reasons I even keep the CSR anymore. After the TC, I'm basically paying $150 for insurance, since I have the Hilton Aspire, and I have other cards for most travel/dining bonuses. 

I have considered using the Premier for travel insurance, but their insurance doesn't seem as comprehensive as the CSR, and there's also no primary rental coverage. I also considered downgrading to the CSP or simply using my CIP, but the trip delay (12 hours vs 6 hours) is worse. 

putting a claim in for trip delay can be tricky.  award travel is out unless you captured a seat upgrade, meal or something with the csr.  no carrier will put the reason in writing or they will say there was a delay in staging the equipment, flight crew delay or something vague.  they will look also look towards the carrier as being the first source for any reimbursement.  basically its a poor reason to hang on to the card imo.  as far as primary auto insurance goes, domestic this might be true but then again your carrier will generally be easier to work with and many rentals overseas if over a few weeks are leases these days and insurance is part of the package and its great insurance, covers everything from road rash on a rim, all dents and scratches, etc.  again not a good reason to hold onto the card.  imo

A Covered Hazard includes equipment failure, inclement weather, labor strikes, and hijacking or skyjacking.

Message 22 of 25
jdbkiang
Established Contributor

- Yes, CSP has the same rental insurance, but the travel delay is at 12 hours instead of 6 hours. That alone makes it worth it to me, as delays more than 6 hours happen far more often (to me, at least) than delays of 12 hours. The extra $55 is also mostly evened out by the 3x multiplier over the 2x multiplier.

- While it is true that travel delay claims are difficult, I've found Chase's benefit administrators to be generally courteous and reasonably easy to work with. If anything, CSR's travel insurance policies are basically the same as, or even more comprehensive than, companies who actually sell travel insurance. I've seen CSR's coverage for sale, annually, at around $400. Not saying it's the best deal or the primary reason to have a card, but for now, it's good enough for me. 

[2/2019]
Message 23 of 25
NRB525
Super Contributor

With 250k MR points, do you have a transfer / redemption plan? The advantage of the Gold, it contributes to the MR stash. MR relates to specific travel partners. If you start up UR then only a few travel partners overlap, though some like Flying Blue seem in all programs.

I have some of both MR and UR but as I learn more about where I intend to use the points, and want to avoid too many AF, it may turn out that I reduce my UR emphasis in a year or two, to route more spend toward AMEX including MR points.
High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 24 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NRB525 wrote:
With 250k MR points, do you have a transfer / redemption plan? The advantage of the Gold, it contributes to the MR stash. MR relates to specific travel partners. If you start up UR then only a few travel partners overlap, though some like Flying Blue seem in all programs.

I have some of both MR and UR but as I learn more about where I intend to use the points, and want to avoid too many AF, it may turn out that I reduce my UR emphasis in a year or two, to route more spend toward AMEX including MR points.

To be completely honest with you. I have absolutely not plan to redeem them but I do sometimes track to see what the transfer rates are for the major airlines that i fly. I rarely xfer the points to a specific airline as i usually find amex travel has competitive prices but i know that sometimes i lose out of the value of MR points by using them directly on the amex side rather then transfer to specific airlines then purchase.

The amex plat is currently my only card with an AF but i want to make sure to maximize that earning potential so i was thinking more about casting a wide net (getting both MR and UR earning) rather then concentrating on one rewards system.

Message 25 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.