Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question r.e. minimum spending to achieve bonus

tag
Woolfman
Established Contributor

Re: Question r.e. minimum spending to achieve bonus

how about just pay your bills with it? Do you have a month car insurance bill? how about phone/cellphone bill ? Cable? electric? you dont spend $500.00 in three months on gas and eating out?  500 should be pretty easy for almost anyone with todays prices.

Message 11 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@drsmith wrote:

Gift card purchases wouldn't show as a gift card purchase. It would show as a purchase from the store you visited. It just seems like a silly thing to do. If getting the Amex bonus is so important to you, then sock drawer your other cards.

+1      You just need to play your cards right!    Don't let your ccs control you ~ you control your ccs!

I did similar thing to my Discover during the Special Bonus Offer period in between March and may this year.   I must spend minimum of $500/mo to qualify to get additional 5% Bonus from Discover.   So, I simply switched cards around to what to charge on it to meet the minimum of $500/mo requirement.   Then, I switch backed to regular routine this month, plus using the Discover More for the 5% Bonus at Grocery Store this month.

Message 12 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Walt_K wrote:

http://thepointsguy.com/2011/05/mr-pickles-guest-blog-post-using-big-crumbs-to-get-cash-back-on-cred...

I agree that it would be easiest just to use this card until you hit the $500 spend.  You're getting a lot more rewards for the bonus than the 5% cashback.  But if you're not so inclined, the above link talks about additional ways to hit spend threshholds and save money.  Just remember that he warns that your card could code the purchase of Amex gift cards as a cash advance so start with a test transaction.

+1    Good idea!

Message 13 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Woolfman wrote:

how about just pay your bills with it? Do you have a month car insurance bill? how about phone/cellphone bill ? Cable? electric? you dont spend $500.00 in three months on gas and eating out?  500 should be pretty easy for almost anyone with todays prices.

+1       This is exactly what I did with my Discover More during the  promo Bonus ~ March through May.    And used Discover More primarily.

Message 14 of 19
daylove
Regular Contributor

@Woolfman wrote:

I wish I had his problem ..I spend $500 in a matter of days...LOL

Message 15 of 19
Woolfman
Established Contributor

@daylove wrote:

@Woolfman wrote:

Same here. Within 3 days i had the 500 in spending i needed to get the 50k bonus points on my Amex.  But in our house there is only one bill that doesnt get paid by a credit card , and that is because they want to charge a 6.00 fee to do it.  We dont use debit cards or cash. 

Message 16 of 19
laz98
Senior Contributor

@daylove wrote:

Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy

Message 17 of 19
mondo84
Valued Member

All solid ideas, but since I'm a student and don't own a car I don't have many bills to pay.

I might request another card for my mother and ask her to put a few purchases on it. I'm not sure if the spending minimum changes with multiple cards or if it even applies to more than one card for the account.

Message 18 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mondo84 wrote:

All solid ideas, but since I'm a student and don't own a car I don't have many bills to pay.

I might request another card for my mother and ask her to put a few purchases on it. I'm not sure if the spending minimum changes with multiple cards or if it even applies to more than one card for the account.

I wish you could stated this on your first post.
That is a great idea mondo!  

To me ...  it should be the same even with AU's card,  Call and ask them.

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.