Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question re: American Express Delta Skymiles Cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question re: American Express Delta Skymiles Cards

Beginning my credit rebuild (scores in the 500s back in October 2018), I applied and was approved for a Delta Skymiles Gold with a 1K SL back in January. Hit the SUB in less than a month. Recently requested the 91/3 3x CLI and was denied... EX was 667 at the time (so yes, not everyone gets the fabled automatic 3x CLI). In any event, I also got an NFCU GoRewards (1K SL) and a USAA Rewards American Express card (also a 1K SL) in January. I expect that by the end of this month when everything has finished reporting, my EX will be 700+ (it currently sits at 688 with 13% utilization... that will drop down to 6% when all of my cards have reported). 

I believe the Delta Skymiles Platinum would be a good fit, and it currently has a good SUB. Can I apply for another Skymiles card (waiting until my EX goes up at the end of this month) and get that SUB even if I already have a Skymiles Gold card?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Question re: American Express Delta Skymiles Cards

Yes. They're considered different products with AMEX.

Message 2 of 9
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

The $500 and $1000 limits are starter limits for amex. Soonest you could probably try for 3x would be at the 6 month mark.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

The letter I got said I was denied because of my score and "your account was opened recently and your tenure with American Express is too short." So I figured I'd wait three months and try the CLI again.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@simplynoir wrote:

What about the Gold? Can I cancel it or do I have to keep it for a certain period of time? I don't want to pay two AFs (although the Gold card has no AF the first year).

Message 5 of 9
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@simplynoir wrote:

What about the Gold? Can I cancel it or do I have to keep it for a certain period of time? I don't want to pay two AFs (although the Gold card has no AF the first year).

Keep the Gold card til the AF gets charged to your account and then closed the card so it can get refunded to you. That way you stay in AMEX's good graces because they may deny you future SUBs for exhibiting "churner" behavior.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you!

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

After annual fee hits consider downgrading to Delta no fee card.

Not much for rewards and benefits to the no fee version but you will continue to build history.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can go for the Delta Platinum since it’s considered a different product.

Though, as said before, pay the AF on the Gold or AMEX will claw that sign up bonus back. Then consider down grading to the Delta Blue to keep that credit history. And it’s no AF. So win win. That is my current strategy with my Delta Gold card.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.