Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question regarding HSBC GM Card

tag
android01
Valued Contributor

Question regarding HSBC GM Card

I've had an HSBC GM card for about 20 years.  I have thousands of accumulated rewards/dollars/points.  Although it's probably not news to others who have this card, I just recently found out that these rewards now expire (7 years), and the dollar amount that can be put towards a GM vehicle has been limited.  I'm also not driving GM vehicles at the moment and would likely not buy a new car (maybe GM maybe not) for another five or six years.  There is a HSBC GM flexible earnings card that you can get cash back in addition to applying rewards to the purchase of a new GM vehicle.  I'm thinking I'd like to try to see if they would switch to the flexible earnings card so I can take advantage of the years of rewards I've accumulated.  I called HSBC and the CSR couldn't answer my question and told me that I'd have to call their Redemption Center when it opens on Monday to ask.  If they do it, It almost sounds to good to be true because someone may be writing me a fairly substantial check!  

Has anyone had success transferring (including rewards) from one type of GM card to another? 

EQ Fico 8 - 850
TU Fico 8 - 850
EX Fico 8 - 850
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
stan_the_man
Established Contributor

Re: Question regarding HSBC GM Card

I made the switch last year in the hope that would trigger an account review and score a CLI.

So, from experience, I can tell you that it's possible to switch; however, I can't tell you about the rewards because at that point I had sockdrawered the card for 6 years.

Message 2 of 6
android01
Valued Contributor

@stan_the_man wrote:

I made the switch last year in the hope that would trigger an account review and score a CLI.

So, from experience, I can tell you that it's possible to switch; however, I can't tell you about the rewards because at that point I had sockdrawered the card for 6 years.

Thanks!  When they allowed the switch did they:

1. Hard pull a CR, and if so, which one?

2. Keep the same account number and merely put it on the new card?

3. Was it a new TL on your CR or did it just continue with your previous history?

EQ Fico 8 - 850
TU Fico 8 - 850
EX Fico 8 - 850
Message 3 of 6
stan_the_man
Established Contributor

1) I had no hard inquiries on any CRA from HSBC.

2) It was a new account number, which you have to add to the online account management after you receive the card.

3) EX and EQ continue to report exactly the same thing they did previously. On TU there is a new (2nd) trade line. The new TU trade line has all the same account information as the original one -- same open date, etc. Since I have no lates, I have no idea if they'd somehow double report them.

Message 4 of 6
android01
Valued Contributor

Interesting.  It looks like they in effect backdated a new TL with all the same information as the old one on TU.  My guess is that adding the second TL increased AAoA and helped utilization (on TU) for you?  Does the old account number show as closed on TU now?

Thanks again for all of your help.  It's funny, but until two or three months ago when I started reading these forums, I would have never considered such things.   

EQ Fico 8 - 850
TU Fico 8 - 850
EX Fico 8 - 850
Message 5 of 6
stan_the_man
Established Contributor

The old account is still open on my TU report -- even though it is closed in real life.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.