cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question regarding applying for a citi backed card with old charge off...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question regarding applying for a citi backed card with old charge off...

Hi everyone!

I just paid off my charge cards and I am waiting for my new scores to come in. After a recent shopping trip with the family this past weekend I noticed there are a couple of new cards I have my eye on. I am interested in a couple of co-branded cards backed by citi but I have a $600 debt with them from an account they aquired from Capital One from 5 years ago. I lost my job and ended up in debt that I am finally climbing out of. Citi took over the Best Buy card which I had through Capital One so I fear they might blacklist me from any of their cards. I currently have a couple of major credit cards and store cards just to the stores I shop at. I have J Crew and Banana Republic because the amount of money I save by using those is astronomical. After visiting Macys this past weekend and figuring what I would have saved if I had the card... I was a little sad I didn't get the rewards. Other cards I would benefit from as well would be Costco and Home Depot. I guess my question to the community is.... Have any of you been approved for a Citi Cobranded card after burning them on another card? Does it make any difference that the debt they have is an account established through another issuer? I appreciate any input anyone might have. These cards I want are on my list of wants because we spend a substantial amount of money at these stores. I have rewards cards but non that would offer the percentages off of individual purchases like these store cards.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
SFLSpotter9210
Valued Contributor

Re: Question regarding applying for a citi backed card with old charge off...

I have several Citi cards including Home Depot. Their will be several questions I’m sure asked here on the forum. Like was your account a CO, did you repay the bad debt and etc. I’m assuming those are your accurate Fico 8 scores? I’m not a expert by any means but, they seem a bit low for Citi but, I could be wrong. My opinion would be to hold strong and work on your scores for a bit and then try. I myself ran into a financial issue back in 2007-2008 and lost everything due to greed. I got used to buying on cash to prevent any future mishaps. Good luck on your rebuilding 😎.
NFCU Flagship 32,500 | Penfed PowerCash 8,750 | PENFED GOLD 12,500 | PenFed PL 20,000 | NFCU AMEX Rewards 37,500 | NFCU GoRewards 7,000 | FNBO VISA SIGNATURE 9,400 | Capital One Quicksilver 6,300 | Lowe’s 34,500 | Wells Fargo Propel 19,700 | Barclay Apple1k | Citi Rewards+ 12,100 | Citi Double Cash 14,800 | Citi Simplicity 7,000 | PNC Core VISA 22,500 | USAA AMEX 13,000 | Discover 19,500 | BB&T Rewards 4,500 | BB&T Bright Card 4,500 | GS Apple 6,000 | Chevron 2,500 | Fico 8 Scores EQ=764 | EX=775 | TU=757scores and CL current as of 04/04/24 AAoA years 24 months | AoOA=18yrs
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your response. Those are Fico 8 not Fako V3. I am sure once everything clears my Fico will be high 600's. I will be waiting until then to even consider applying for new credit. I also have no late payments showing and credit age of 4 years. To answer your question about if the debt was paid...no,I did not pay off the debt from 5 years ago. The person I spoke with when Citi too over said it wouldn't be removed from credit report just reported debt paid. It's the only one I have left under negatives aside from a medical bill  for $860 from 3 years ago. Also it was the Bestbuy Master Card with CO not the store card.

Message 3 of 5
SFLSpotter9210
Valued Contributor

Yeah I just believe you'd have better luck app when your Fico scores are in the mid to high 600's. Personally I appd when my Fico 8 scores were 700+ for EQ and 670 for EX. Trust me I'm no expert so don't take my word as concrete. There are plenty of other experts on here that will give you probably better advise than mine. Nonetheless good luck on your app process in the future.

NFCU Flagship 32,500 | Penfed PowerCash 8,750 | PENFED GOLD 12,500 | PenFed PL 20,000 | NFCU AMEX Rewards 37,500 | NFCU GoRewards 7,000 | FNBO VISA SIGNATURE 9,400 | Capital One Quicksilver 6,300 | Lowe’s 34,500 | Wells Fargo Propel 19,700 | Barclay Apple1k | Citi Rewards+ 12,100 | Citi Double Cash 14,800 | Citi Simplicity 7,000 | PNC Core VISA 22,500 | USAA AMEX 13,000 | Discover 19,500 | BB&T Rewards 4,500 | BB&T Bright Card 4,500 | GS Apple 6,000 | Chevron 2,500 | Fico 8 Scores EQ=764 | EX=775 | TU=757scores and CL current as of 04/04/24 AAoA years 24 months | AoOA=18yrs
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you! We will see what happens when my scores get higher!

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.