cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question: which new card for upcoming vacation?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Question: which new card for upcoming vacation?

@redpat wrote:

What about citi AA personal or bus, 60k offer is out there.

hmm I don't have any other cards to feed an AA mileage account that I know of. Though that's not out of the realm of possibility.

At the moment I'm most torn between the Merrily-Lynch card (in which case I would try to grab a business card at the same time for double bonus - one of the $200 SOB for $500 spend ones and use on something at home before departure), or the Ritz if the 3 day link is still up when I am ready to app in a week or so.

The BofA Travel rewards is one of my unicorns as I applied for it early on and was brutally rejected, as well as on recon but it's not an especially useful card day-to-day given all the other cards I have.

Then again... the Marriott business card is also appealing for 80k marriot points -> 27k-ish SPG points, plus it won't have any negative effect on the ol' FICO scores.

ugh so difficult!

Message 11 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Any other suggestions? I still have about a week before applying.

Scores are updating now, should be EQ 755, TU 765, EX 748
Message 12 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ritz Carlton all the way! It's by far the best product for you out of the choices, only if you can get 3 nights. Here is my experience with the card.

Opened up the card in October, spent the money, and the nights posted. I used my 2016 $300 travel credit towards a cash co-pay for an upgrade from HND-IAD on AA (not a bad way to use my travel credit). For my 2017 travel credits, I had two award change fees w/ Delta (ugh!) that could not be avoided. I told Chase it was for an "upgrade" and they refunded, no questions asked. Used the remaining for food/drinks onboard flights on AA. All in, I've gotten $600 back in travel credits since October and only paid one $450 annual fee. You can call or SM to get the travel credits posted. I used the 3 nights a few weekends ago at the Ritz in Kappalua and burned AA miles to get there. The Ritz Kapalua was going for around $599 a night plus taxes. I got around $2,000 in value out of the free nights. They also gave us an upgrade to the Club level (Marriott Platinum already). I plan on transferring the credit line to my Freedom or United card and closing the account when the next annual fee is due. And seriously, the card is heavy and impressive!

Also, the priorty pass is a great benefit. I have it from the CSR and used to have it form the Prestige (which I just dropped, booo!!). I'm based out of DC and IAD is my home ariport. The priorty pass lounges at IAD blow away the domestic ones (read: United). Priority pass seems to have a good amount of lounges in Asia and I've gotten my use out of it. Anyway, I think it is an great card for the benefits, sign up bonus, and first year.

Message 13 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Ritz Carlton all the way! It's by far the best product for you out of the choices, only if you can get 3 nights. Here is my experience with the card.

Opened up the card in October, spent the money, and the nights posted. I used my 2016 $300 travel credit towards a cash co-pay for an upgrade from HND-IAD on AA (not a bad way to use my travel credit). For my 2017 travel credits, I had two award change fees w/ Delta (ugh!) that could not be avoided. I told Chase it was for an "upgrade" and they refunded, no questions asked. Used the remaining for food/drinks onboard flights on AA. All in, I've gotten $600 back in travel credits since October and only paid one $450 annual fee. You can call or SM to get the travel credits posted. I used the 3 nights a few weekends ago at the Ritz in Kappalua and burned AA miles to get there. The Ritz Kapalua was going for around $599 a night plus taxes. I got around $2,000 in value out of the free nights. They also gave us an upgrade to the Club level (Marriott Platinum already). I plan on transferring the credit line to my Freedom or United card and closing the account when the next annual fee is due. And seriously, the card is heavy and impressive!

Also, the priorty pass is a great benefit. I have it from the CSR and used to have it form the Prestige (which I just dropped, booo!!). I'm based out of DC and IAD is my home ariport. The priorty pass lounges at IAD blow away the domestic ones (read: United). Priority pass seems to have a good amount of lounges in Asia and I've gotten my use out of it. Anyway, I think it is an great card for the benefits, sign up bonus, and first year.

Thanks! That definitely sounds worth the first year for sure. I will think this all over for a few days and post up whatever ends up being applied for. 

I kind of would like to grab the Ritz and the Marriott biz but 8k in 3 months when 1.5 of those I won't be getting paid is too much of a stretch at the moment. Don't want to drain the savings, you know?

Message 14 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree!!! The Ritz Carlton is definitely a great option and there are no FTF's when using this card. This is also my go to card when booking airfare because of the trip interruption/ cancellation  coverage that comes with this card. And the PP is great because there is no charge to bring guests with you.

Message 15 of 24
wilmer007
Contributor

i'd look at the BoA Travel Card as it has $0 AF and $0 FTF. it's also a great backup travel card especially if you have an AMEX, Disco or MC travel card.

*****|$15,200|********|$13,500|***********|$5,000|*********|$25,000|***********|$500|
Highest Scores: Transunion 08: 821 | Equifax VantageScore 3.0: 780 | Experian 08: 804 | gardening until May 2018 or longer.
Message 16 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I agree!!! The Ritz Carlton is definitely a great option and there are no FTF's when using this card. This is also my go to card when booking airfare because of the trip interruption/ cancellation  coverage that comes with this card. And the PP is great because there is no charge to bring guests with you.

haha yeah I am really getting the itch to try my luck with the 3-night link that is still up... 

Since I haven't slept much these last few nights I am feeling a little more daring than usual and am probably going to try the following:

1st priority: Ritz 3-night app, expecting it to go to 30day like all my Chase apps if not auto-5/24'd

2nd priority: double app this with Marriot biz as a backup, again expecting at best going to 30 day

3rd priority: BofA Travel Rewards - 3rd time's the charm?

4th priority: BofA Travel Rewards biz - probably insta denial like they did last month but may as well double up

If by some bizzarre stroke of mad luck all 4 actually get approved, can just float the BofA cards because the personal is 12 months and biz 9 months 0% APR, and I can pay them off the month I come home.
--------

If they all get denied I guess I could shift gears and try for a US Bank FlexPerks business edge travel rewards. If anyone is up this late with me what do you think? My judgement is definitely failing due to tiredness so I might just pull the trigger on those 4 and see what happens when I wake up tomorrow.

... and truth be told I am not 100% sure if I get both the Chase cards I'm not sure what to spend 8k on in that time period. I have a $250 lunch in Tokyo but other than that... 

Message 17 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

You'll be fine with the Ritz app assuming your utl, no baddies, and solid scores. I applied and it went to pending, I'm way over 5/24 ... Anyway, it was auto approved that night and received the approval email the next morning. They seem to be much more lenient on approval with this card versus the CSR (that was literally hell to get approved ... seriously like 5 recon calls).

Enjoy Japan! I used to live there (military). The Ritz Carlton in Okinawa is an amazing way to use those three nights if you happen to be back in Asia within the year.
Message 18 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
You'll be fine with the Ritz app assuming your utl, no baddies, and solid scores. I applied and it went to pending, I'm way over 5/24 ... Anyway, it was auto approved that night and received the approval email the next morning. They seem to be much more lenient on approval with this card versus the CSR (that was literally hell to get approved ... seriously like 5 recon calls).

Enjoy Japan! I used to live there (military). The Ritz Carlton in Okinawa is an amazing way to use those three nights if you happen to be back in Asia within the year.

haha thank you!

Ritz was the first one I went for and it was insta-approved for 15.6k Smiley Happy   Decided to go for the Marriott biz too but it went pending. I'll check robo-lady in the morning Smiley Happy

Message 19 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@sillykitty1 wrote:

I'd say the Merrill+ ... $1K bonus for $3K is pretty hard to beat

Good call, I was unaware of that. Will have to add this card to my upcoming list. Smiley Happy

Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.