cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions about Path to Apple Card

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Questions about Path to Apple Card

I was added to the Path to Apple Card today and was just curious if anybody else has gone through with it while having a security freeze placed on TransUnion? It seems to be a bit ridiculous for me, but I figured I would try. They want me to make on time payments for 4 months and then reduce my outstanding debt to below $649, which it's only at $927. I'll try it out and keep you guys updated on how it goes for me. I guess I'll be getting a link to apply in January as well under the path to apple card program terms.

FICO Scores (current as of November 30, 2019): Equifax: 765 | Experian: 776 | TransUnion: 747

22 REPLIES 22
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Re: Questions about Path to Apple Card

I haven't seen much about this program other than I think it's recently created 

Since the approval is via TU SP with a Chexsystems verify, it would "make sense" that if you got the debt down sooner or as timely as their looking, app'ing again on your own would work without waiting for an invite. 

When you do App, not only will it tell you if you can be approved, it will tell you your SL and APR before doing the HP so you can chose whether to accept their offer or not. 

Best of luck!

Message 2 of 23
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@cashorcharge wrote:

I haven't seen much about this program other than I think it's recently created 

Since the approval is via TU SP with a Chexsystems verify, it would "make sense" that if you got the debt down sooner or as timely as their looking, app'ing again on your own would work without waiting for an invite. 

When you do App, not only will it tell you if you can be approved, it will tell you your SL and APR before doing the HP so you can chose whether to accept their offer or not. 

Best of luck!

That's what I was curious about! I just know online they said that there are different approval criteria upon completion of the program, so I wasn't sure if I should keep the program open or apply again when I lower my debt.

FICO Scores (current as of November 30, 2019): Equifax: 765 | Experian: 776 | TransUnion: 747

Message 3 of 23
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Since the program is so new, less than 90 days ago, I haven't seen any posts about people using the program as their path. As their path for you was planned as 4 months long, we may not see success stories just yet IMHO.

Sorry I can't offer more info. The fact that their approval process is exclusively SP then HP upon acceptance, it's worth a shot if you lower your debt sooner than they are looking for. 

Message 4 of 23
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@cashorcharge wrote:

Since the program is so new, less than 90 days ago, I haven't seen any posts about people using the program as their path. As their path for you was planned as 4 months long, we may not see success stories just yet IMHO.

Sorry I can't offer more info. The fact that their approval process is exclusively SP then HP upon acceptance, it's worth a shot if you lower your debt sooner than they are looking for. 

I'll look into it and see. I have wanted this card for a bit so maybe I'll just wait and see what they say come January.

Message 5 of 23
Highlighted
Super Contributor

@Matt9543 wrote:

I was added to the Path to Apple Card today and was just curious if anybody else has gone through with it while having a security freeze placed on TransUnion? It seems to be a bit ridiculous for me, but I figured I would try. They want me to make on time payments for 4 months and then reduce my outstanding debt to below $649, which it's only at $927. I'll try it out and keep you guys updated on how it goes for me. I guess I'll be getting a link to apply in January as well under the path to apple card program terms.

Confused. Your scores are mid-700's, so I'm not clear why you would see any problem getting an Apple Card offer?

Is your TU frozen and that prevented GS from getting any score info? Maybe unfreeze TU to see whether an offer is available after a few days?

The "Path", from my understanding is for those with serious credit challenges, not mid-700. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
Message 6 of 23
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

@Matt9543 wrote:

Confused. Your scores are mid-700's, so I'm not clear why you would see any problem getting an Apple Card offer?

Is your TU frozen and that prevented GS from getting any score info? Maybe unfreeze TU to see whether an offer is available after a few days?

The "Path", from my understanding is for those with serious credit challenges, not mid-700. 

Hey, thanks for the info. When GS pulled my credit, it came up as a 731. I am not sure if it is just GS way of trying to approve more people. I believe it's an income issue more than anything. Silly enough as I had mentioned, they wanted me to pretty much pay my overall debt down to below $649, and my overall debt right now is $927. I'm assuming they just require everybody in the proogram to maintain 4 months of good payment history. Which makes me wonder if I were to pay down that debt by, lets say next month, would I then be approved? It's all really kinda of confusing how GS determines their approvals and denials.

Message 7 of 23
Highlighted
Valued Member

Is there a variable that you haven't shared because I agree this is not logical with your posted scores and limits?  You referenced an income concern and certainly that would be a factor if your income is very limited to non-existent. 

You have 5k and 10k limits with great bank/CU creditors. Bringing down your "debt" under $650 would require to pay in full prior to statement closing. Such a low number is well below what a lender is expected to see reporting as monthly spend to support those credit limits. 

If Apple/GS is so concerned about you having essentially no use of credit being reported, I cannot imagine you being offered a credit line to do more than purchase a few packs of gum. Certainly not a large enough limit that utilizes the no interest financing of Apple products.

Good luck

Message 8 of 23
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@RunnersLunge wrote:

Is there a variable that you haven't shared because I agree this is not logical with your posted scores and limits?  You referenced an income concern and certainly that would be a factor if your income is very limited to non-existent. 

You have 5k and 10k limits with great bank/CU creditors. Bringing down your "debt" under $650 would require to pay in full prior to statement closing. Such a low number is well below what a lender is expected to see reporting as monthly spend to support those credit limits. 

If Apple/GS is so concerned about you having essentially no use of credit being reported, I cannot imagine you being offered a credit line to do more than purchase a few packs of gum. Certainly not a large enough limit that utilizes the no interest financing of Apple products.

Good luck

Everything I shared was what I was told. Usually the responses I get when applying are "your monthly debt obligations are too high compared to your income" I did check it out tho, reducing my overall debt to below $649 does put me at debt to income ratio of below 30%. So that may be what they're looking for?

Message 9 of 23
Highlighted
Super Contributor

Well, often we reach a point in these discussions where we can't answer why the bank did something. Smiley Happy

Let us know how the Path works out. It's probably worth checking as soon as you get the reported balances lower.

$900 is, after all, high debt... sarcastic eye roll to follow.

Good luck. Apple Card is a good one to get. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.