Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions about Pay Pal Smart Conn. & Pay Pal Debit

tag
GoodCreditIsMyGoal
Established Member

Questions about Pay Pal Smart Conn. & Pay Pal Debit

I need some help.....I currently have a Pay Pal Smart Connect account.  Occassionally, I have read on this forum something about getting the Pay Pal Debit card and connecting it to your Pay Pal Smart Connect acct and you would be able to use it anywhere Mastercard is accepted.  Is this true?

I went on the Pay Pal website to look into it and possible apply, but it brought up a Pay Pal Debit Mastercard Business Card....is this the one? I don't have a business.  Does this matter?  Secondly, it was asking for my Social Security Number.  Is there a credit check involved?? I don't need any new inquiries. 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
unusuallyconfused
Regular Contributor

Re: Questions about Pay Pal Smart Conn. & Pay Pal Debit

I have direct experience with this.

I too was confused by exactly your issue.

But here's the answer: I bet you have a PayPal PREMIER account right?

If you have a Premier account OR a "business" account, then PayPal re-directs you to the PayPal Business MasterCard Debit card app.

That's exactly the one you want to app for!

NOTE: Go back and read the terms and features of what a "Premier" PayPal account is and you'll see why "business" is the most appropiate card here. Plus, a lot of people upgrade to Premier just to have certain higher sending and spending limits. Eventually, if you use PayPal a lot, MOST PEOPLE will upgrade from a "personal" account to a Premier.

P.S.

If you app for the debt card (and are approved), it will come like clockwork within 7-10 BUSINESS days. When it comes (and even before) you'll see a link on the right side of your PayPal screen a link to "activate debit card". When you do that, you'll see an option there where you can attach your Smart Connect credit line to the debt card.

USAA Rewards VISA (7,500 - 03/2013) / DiscoverIT (6500 - 03/2013) / Cap One Platinum MC (2750 - 03/2013) / Credit One Platinum VISA (750 - 03/2013) / First Premier Bank MC (300 - 02/2013) / FingerHut/WEBBANK (5200.00 - 02/2013) / Victoria's Secret/Comenity (1500 - 03/2013) / PayPal Smart Connect/GECRB (2900 - 03/2013) / Lowe's/GECRB (2800 - 03/2013) / Amazon.com/GECRB (4500 - 03/2013) / Chevron Texaco/GECRB (1950 - 03/2013) / J.C. Penney/GECRB (2150 - 02/2013) / Target (750 - 07/2013) / Abercrombie & Fitch/Comenity (1850 - 07/2013) / CareCredit/GECRB (4500 - 08/2013) / DCU Visa (2000 - 11/2013) / NFCU Sig cashRewards Visa (7000 - 11/2013) - MilitaryStar/Chase (4700 /12/2013)

Message 2 of 8
randeman
Frequent Contributor

If you app for the debt card (and are approved), it will come like clockwork within 7-10 BUSINESS days. When it comes (and even before) you'll see a link on the right side of your PayPal screen a link to "activate debit card". When you do that, you'll see an option there where you can attach your Smart Connect credit line to the debt card.

Actually, this may NOT be true.  It took almost a month to get my debit card.  I had to wait for a month for mine.  I have had it for less than a week.  They had some kind of glitch in what they said was the "mass mailing" of cards.  I don't know if this problem has been resolved yet but I can tell you that their web site is a pain in the a$$ when it comes to contacting them with concern that the card had not arrived yet.  Moreover, when I called, I was transferred three different times to another department.  I finally gave up and sent an irate e-mail.

Experian Score: 689--Amex 27 July 2014; Equifax Score 680--MyFICO--17 September 2014; TransUnion Score 718-Discover 20 August 2014--PUH-RAISE JESUS, I finally broke 700!!! Cards and Credit Lines: Escape by Discover, Chase Freedom Signature Visa, Chase United MileagePlus Explorer Signature Visa, Chase Sapphire Preferred Signature Visa, Barclay's Holland America Visa, Citibank Custom Credit Line, Paypal Custom Connect Credit Line, Bloomingdale's, Macy's Premier Elite, Amazon Store Card, Lord & Taylor, Nordstrom, Discover It, Gold Delta SkyMiles from American Express, PayPal BML.
Message 3 of 8
IEM
Established Member

Does applying for the PayPal debit card involve a credit check?

Message 4 of 8
gmason
Contributor

@IEM wrote:

Does applying for the PayPal debit card involve a credit check?

No. There was no hard pull for the debit card. I read everything I could find in this forum and elsewhere, and I could not find a case where there was a hard pull. They may be using some other type of credit check, but no hard pull against TU, EQ, or EX. The card works very well. Mine says 'BUSINESS DEBIT' and my paypal/smartconnect account is 'Premier'.

Message 5 of 8
jsucool76
Super Contributor

My debit card is the business debit card as well. No HP was done. They run chexsystems probably.
Message 6 of 8
GoodCreditIsMyGoal
Established Member

Thank you for the information!! i really appreciate it!  I'm going to think it over some more...lol!

Message 7 of 8
suebee123
Frequent Contributor

I just did this a couple weeks ago.  Mine is a paypal debit business card too, and there was no hard pull.  Took about 10 days to get the card (you have to apply for it) and I linked my smart connect line of credit to it, and use it all the time as a credit card.  Plus you get 1% rewards.  Make sure you use it as "credit" not debit when prompted.

Current: EQ Fico (700), EX Fico AMX (681) TU Fico Walmart (711) MyFico TU (708) Vantage: TU 803, EX 777, EQ 789
Goal: 700+ across the board.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.