Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions about US Bank Altitude Reserve card

tag
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

Re: Questions about US Bank Altitude Reserve card

From my understanding of real time rewards. You can use it to cover partial charges as it’s applied as a statement credit with a higher redemption amount.

I haven’t actually used it yet as I’m banking my points but the literature and playing around with the rewards system sure makes it seem that way.
A quick call to USB would get you a for sure answer on that.

With getting the Cash + at 7500. I would say you have a good shot at the Altitude.

My fiancé was approved for the AR with a 699 FICO 04 score. She has good credit but high amounts of student loans. Her FICO 8 scores are around 770

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 11 of 24
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Shadowfactor wrote:
From my understanding of real time rewards. You can use it to cover partial charges as it’s applied as a statement credit with a higher redemption amount.

I haven’t actually used it yet as I’m banking my points but the literature and playing around with the rewards system sure makes it seem that way.
A quick call to USB would get you a for sure answer on that.

With getting the Cash + at 7500. I would say you have a good shot at the Altitude.

My fiancé was approved for the AR with a 699 FICO 04 score. She has good credit but high amounts of student loans. Her FICO 8 scores are around 770

Thanks for the info... if/when I get a little closer to pulling the trigger I might give them a call for clarification.  I'm surprised this isn't stated more clearly somewhere, or else like I mentioned earlier I'm just making it harder than it really is.

When I was approved for my Cash+ I had a FICO 8 of 777 and a TU04 of 760.  My FICO 8's are all a bit higher now, but I don't know about the TU04 (no easy/free way to check it).  Logically it should be fine, but as we all know FICO isn't logical at times (like how my EX and EX mortgage scores are all significantly lower than TU04).

Another concern for me is that while my utilization is good, my total exposure is (very) high relative to my modest income.  Before I move forward with gaining additional exposure with a notoriously conservative lender such as US Bank I want things to be as perfect as possible.

Message 12 of 24
imaximous
Valued Contributor

I hope this doesn't add to the confusion on points redemption, but here's an extract from the Rewards Program Rules on the AR site:

"You may obtain airline tickets with a combination of Points redemption and purchase; however, the first ticket must be covered in full by Points redemption before any additional tickets may be purchased. Other travel-related redemptions, such as for hotels and car rentals, must be paid in full with all Points or purchase."

I've been reading that Real Time only triggers if you have enough points to cover the entire purchase -- not partial. 

Message 13 of 24
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@imaximous wrote:

I hope this doesn't add to the confusion on points redemption, but here's an extract from the Rewards Program Rules on the AR site:

"You may obtain airline tickets with a combination of Points redemption and purchase; however, the first ticket must be covered in full by Points redemption before any additional tickets may be purchased. Other travel-related redemptions, such as for hotels and car rentals, must be paid in full with all Points or purchase."

I've been reading that Real Time only triggers if you have enough points to cover the entire purchase -- not partial. 

I've read that before as well... thus why I'm unsure of exactly how it works in 'real-life'.  Smiley Frustrated

Message 14 of 24
imaximous
Valued Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

@imaximous wrote:

I've read that before as well... thus why I'm unsure of exactly how it works in 'real-life'.  Smiley Frustrated

Ok, since I had time to kill, I went to the AR rewards site and booked a dummy reservation using their internal portal. For hotels and car rentals, you can only make points reservations if you have enough for the entire itinerary. If you don't, it asks for a credit card to pay for the full amount. No option for both points and cash.

For travel, I tested 2 plane tickets at once, and made sure I could cover the first with just points. The site allows you to book with both points and cash, as long as your first ticket can be covered fully with points. You can use your credit card to pay for the rest.

Important: You also need to have enough points to cover entirely the 2nd ticket. I had points leftover after purchasing the first ticket, but not enough to cover the second one completely. It wouldn't take the remaining points and finish the purchase with cash. It wanted the entire second ticket with cash.

I also looked at itineraries where I wouldn't have enough for one ticket, and it requested payment for all tickets. 

I hope that's more real-life for you, haha Smiley Happy

Message 15 of 24
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@imaximous wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@imaximous wrote:

Ok, since I had time to kill, I went to the AR rewards site and booked a dummy reservation using their internal portal. For hotels and car rentals, you can only make points reservations if you have enough for the entire itinerary. If you don't, it asks for a credit card to pay for the full amount. No option for both points and cash.

For travel, I tested 2 plane tickets at once, and made sure I could cover the first with just points. The site allows you to book with both points and cash, as long as your first ticket can be covered fully with points. You can use your credit card to pay for the rest.

Important: You also need to have enough points to cover entirely the 2nd ticket. I had points leftover after purchasing the first ticket, but not enough to cover the second one completely. It wouldn't take the remaining points and finish the purchase with cash. It wanted the entire second ticket with cash.

I also looked at itineraries where I wouldn't have enough for one ticket, and it requested payment for all tickets. 

That's definitely helpful (thanks!) but real-time rewards is still lacking clarity, which is the only way I would redeem the points (the portal would be useless to me). 

I have a feeling it's all-or-nothing with real-time redemption, but that could possibly be worked-around by doing a split-payment at the time of checkout (i.e. have the clerk run a charge for an amount that would be completely covered by rewards, then pay the remaining balance due in a second transaction).

In any case it's still an exceptional card, and I hope they don't mess things up by nerfing it later on.  <fingers crossed>

Message 16 of 24
imaximous
Valued Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

@imaximous wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@imaximous wrote:

That's definitely helpful (thanks!) but real-time rewards is still lacking clarity, which is the only way I would redeem the points (the portal would be useless to me). 

I have a feeling it's all-or-nothing with real-time redemption, but that could possibly be worked-around by doing a split-payment at the time of checkout (i.e. have the clerk run a charge for an amount that would be completely covered by rewards, then pay the remaining balance due in a second transaction).

In any case it's still an exceptional card, and I hope they don't mess things up by nerfing it later on.  <fingers crossed>

Agreed. The only way I plan to redeem my points is with Real Time Rewards. I just tested the portal to get a picture of how redemptions work, and I'm almost positive it works the same for Real Time. I've read a bunch of user data, and they said that you need to have enough points in your account for RTR to trigger the text message.

The system is a little complicated and confusing because I've read that you get the redemption text message when you make the purchase, so that's based on the initial authorization. If you cancel the purchase, you don't get points back, but a $ credit to your account in the respective amount. 

What I'd like to get more data on is when you purchase more than 1 plane ticket. Let's say 5 tickets, for instance. Typically, airlines get an authorization for the full amount (all 5 tickets), but then, they split the purchase by the number of tickets. So you end up getting separate transactions for each ticket individually. If the RTR text message is supposed to trigger upon initial authorization, you may not have enough to cover the whole purchase, but you probably would for single tickets depending on the number of points you have. 

In those situations, your workaround would be ideal because I may not have $5k in points for 5 tickets, but may have $2k in points to cover 2 tickets, and then I'd have to use a different card to pay for the rest. If I don't split the purchase in 2 cards, I won't even trigger the RTR text message because there isn't enough points to cover the initial authorization on the card. Therefore, you lose a chance to use points altogether.

Message 17 of 24
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the infomation.
It was definitely helpful with understanding how it worked.

When I played around with the system. It made it seem like you could cover the rest with cash if you didn’t have enough points. Guess that’s not the case.

Thanks

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 18 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@imaximous wrote:
They are considered a conservative lender, but I was approved with about 7 new accounts in 3 months or so. It wasn't an auto approval for either card, though. I had to call for recon, and they did ask about the inquiries and new accounts. I was actually surprised they approved me for the AR.

I don't have any other banking relationship with them. Cash+ approved about 10 days before the AR. That's it.

That honestly gives me hope. I've opened 4 new accounts since Feb. With one being a business card with Amex (BBP). My scores are all 750 or over. No baddies whatsoever, I always PIF, and my limits warrant a half way decent credit limit if approved. I'm just trying to figure out should I apply for the Cash+ to get in the door or open an account with them? 

Message 19 of 24
imaximous
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@imaximous wrote:
They are considered a conservative lender, but I was approved with about 7 new accounts in 3 months or so. It wasn't an auto approval for either card, though. I had to call for recon, and they did ask about the inquiries and new accounts. I was actually surprised they approved me for the AR.

I don't have any other banking relationship with them. Cash+ approved about 10 days before the AR. That's it.

That honestly gives me hope. I've opened 4 new accounts since Feb. With one being a business card with Amex (BBP). My scores are all 750 or over. No baddies whatsoever, I always PIF, and my limits warrant a half way decent credit limit if approved. I'm just trying to figure out should I apply for the Cash+ to get in the door or open an account with them? 

I think you should get the product(s) that you really need or can take advantage of, and not something to simply get you in. I didn't open a checking or savings because I had accounts at other banks already. I thought about the Gold Checking since the maintenance fee is waived for credit card customers, but adding a 5th checking account didn't make any sense, and the savings rates weren't any better than what I already had. The Cash+ seemed like the right product for the rewards. 

After getting approved on recon for the Cash+, I was really going to garden for at least 6 months before going for the AR. I figured since I barely got in, there was little to no chance I could get the AR -- a more premium product. But, I'm not the patient type so I took another chance. The recon for the AR was a little more difficult because I'd just been approved for the Cash+ after UW review, so they brought that up and said no at first. The underwriter didn't want to submit my AR application for review, so I had to insist a little (nicely, of course) and she finally agreed to send it for second review, but she also gave me little hope. A couple of days later, I noticed the new account online and I was thrilled.

So, keep that in mind too. If you go for the Cash+ first, you'll have to be approved for 2 credit products back to back, and it doesn't always work even if you have a good profile. I think I got very lucky.

Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.