Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions about capital one and credit building

tag
Jchuthemyth
Valued Member

Questions about capital one and credit building

My situation is a little complicated, thanks for reading.

Well... Back to 7-8 years ago, when I was first year in college, I have no idea about credit and financial and I applied for capital one cc and got approved for $300 cl. I believe I had no history and score at all in my credit file and yes, I got approved. Since I had no idea about finance management and with stupid teenager mind, I spent all the 300 and didn't pay them back.

Since then, all I use are cash and debit card, no credit, no loan at all.

As a man in mid 20s, I realized that I need loan to buy house and I need credit. I pulled out the score thru trucredit, it shows my score are unavailable. And, under the credit report, they are 2 debt collection report back in 2005 and 2006 for tmobile in tu and eq and 1 in ex, which I never applied for, it about 137 dollars each. Those are what I see in my credit report.

I checked quizzle, it shows my score is 619, I know it's not fico, but is the 619 helpful?

My questions are :

1. Can I still apply for capital one, since it was many years ago, Im not sure if my record still under their database?
2. How to build my credit up fast? Beside apply the secured credit card?
3. Any other honest and positive suggestions?

My mind is stuck, will keep asking if I need more help in future, thanks again, thanks!

After years of spending cash, I wanna build some credit
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
FloridaState12
Established Contributor

Re: Questions about capital one and credit building

I've heard from people that Cap1 can be very forgiving...but they are stingy with CL's. 

I got two (unsecured) cards from Cap1 with recent (<1 year) collections on my file, at the time. 

Photobucket
Message 2 of 15
kwazziee
Regular Contributor

@Jchuthemyth wrote:
My situation is a little complicated, thanks for reading.

Well... Back to 7-8 years ago, when I was first year in college, I have no idea about credit and financial and I applied for capital one cc and got approved for $300 cl. I believe I had no history and score at all in my credit file and yes, I got approved. Since I had no idea about finance management and with stupid teenager mind, I spent all the 300 and didn't pay them back.

Since then, all I use are cash and debit card, no credit, no loan at all.

As a man in mid 20s, I realized that I need loan to buy house and I need credit. I pulled out the score thru trucredit, it shows my score are unavailable. And, under the credit report, they are 2 debt collection report back in 2005 and 2006 for tmobile in tu and eq and 1 in ex, which I never applied for, it about 137 dollars each. Those are what I see in my credit report.

I checked quizzle, it shows my score is 619, I know it's not fico, but is the 619 helpful?

My questions are :

1. Can I still apply for capital one, since it was many years ago, Im not sure if my record still under their database?
3. Any other honest and positive suggestions?

My mind is stuck, will keep asking if I need more help in future, thanks again, thanks!

My experience was like your with CapOne. 10 years ago I charge 1,300 and was not able to pay them back adn let it fall off my CR. 4 years ago they sent me an offer and i apped and approved for 500. been 4 years and CL is 3000. so i think they are forgiving but like previous post said they are stingy.

Message 3 of 15
Jchuthemyth
Valued Member

Should I go ahead and apply one just to build credit, since my credit score is unavailable... And, will cancel after a year or so. By the way, which capital one card should I apply ?
Message 4 of 15
kwazziee
Regular Contributor

@Jchuthemyth wrote:
Should I go ahead and apply one just to build credit, since my credit score is unavailable... And, will cancel after a year or so. By the way, which capital one card should I apply ?

I apped for the platinum visa and 2 years later they offer me the platinum MC and approved for 300CL. hope this help. Answer to your question, only you can decide as I am still a newbie with credit.

Message 5 of 15
john398
Senior Contributor

@Jchuthemyth wrote:

Try to prequalify first before you apply to see what it says

Message 6 of 15
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

I believe that Cap One is fairly good about granting credit, even if you have had past issues with them.

However if you do not currently have any open CC accounts, you might need to go the secured card route.   

When you do get approved, I would recommend keeping at least one CC open, even if you only take it out of the sock drawer every other month.

Your FICO score will look better with an open CC account.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 7 of 15
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@Jchuthemyth wrote:

IMO, Secured cards are the best way to build credit fast.    Capital One has a very good one.   Suggest you reconsider this.

Message 8 of 15
Jchuthemyth
Valued Member

I already tried the pre-qualified, it said :

we couldn't match your records to a card offer

But based on your answers, we think you might like this card.

Capital one classic platinum.

What does it mean? Is it a yes or no. I assume it's a no.

I don't prefer secured card because it seems more time needed. If I choose an easy unsecured card, it will boost faster, it's just what I think, not sure if this is true.

Btw, do you guys any store financing that easier to get approved? Like those department store card, amazon, Sony....etc. Plan to apply One cc and one store card first to build the foundation. But, I need advise because I don't want to get declined and make it even worse. Please let me know if you guys know any easy approval cc and store card, thanks

Message 9 of 15
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@Jchuthemyth wrote:
I already tried the pre-qualified, it said :

we couldn't match your records to a card offer

But based on your answers, we think you might like this card.

Capital one classic platinum.

What does it mean? Is it a yes or no. I assume it's a no.

I don't prefer secured card because it seems more time needed. If I choose an easy unsecured card, it will boost faster, it's just what I think, not sure if this is true.

Btw, do you guys any store financing that easier to get approved? Like those department store card, amazon, Sony....etc. Plan to apply One cc and one store card first to build the foundation. But, I need advise because I don't want to get declined and make it even worse. Please let me know if you guys know any easy approval cc and store card, thanks

Not sure what you mean by this.  If you get a secured card, there is more time involved in terms of it graduating to an unsecured card (if it can graduate), and so you have funds tied up in the card.  But when you say with an unsecured card "it will boost faster" are you referring to your credit score?  FICO will score the unsecured card and the secured card the same way. 

If you're going to apply to Capital One, apply for one of the unsecured cards like it suggested.  Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe Capital One is one of the lenders that will counteroffer with a secured offer if they deny you for one of their unsecured cards.  No sense in applying directly for the unsecured card if you'd rather have the secured card since they will counteroffer. 

As to what that pre-approval message means, I don't know how much to attach to it, but it is not a definite no.  I got the same message when I was rebuilding, applied anyway and was approved for the Capital One classic platinum with $39 AF.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.