Questions about capital one and credit building

tag
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

Re: Questions about capital one and credit building

@Jchuthemyth wrote:
I already tried the pre-qualified, it said :

we couldn't match your records to a card offer

But based on your answers, we think you might like this card.

Capital one classic platinum.

What does it mean? Is it a yes or no. I assume it's a no.

I don't prefer secured card because it seems more time needed. If I choose an easy unsecured card, it will boost faster, it's just what I think, not sure if this is true.

Btw, do you guys any store financing that easier to get approved? Like those department store card, amazon, Sony....etc. Plan to apply One cc and one store card first to build the foundation. But, I need advise because I don't want to get declined and make it even worse. Please let me know if you guys know any easy approval cc and store card, thanks

Capital One is more likely a yes.   

For credit building and scoring, secured and unsecured are the same.   Secured cards have an advantage in that you can get a larger Cl if you want.  This makes it easier to control utilization for better FICO score.    It can also help get bigger CL down the road,.

I always advise to apply for store cards where you shop.   Using your credit and paying it off builds your credit more than a sock drawer card.  

Message 11 of 15
shane82388
Established Contributor

I would judge by the fact they cant pre-approve you that you wont likely be approve for an unsecrured card but if you apply and are denied they will likely counter offer with a secured card...so you could always just apply but have some cash ready to put down as a deposit on a secured card if you arent approved so you dont have to re-apply later and get hit up for a second inquiry.

Message 12 of 15
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@shane82388 wrote:

I would judge by the fact they cant pre-approve you that you wont likely be approve for an unsecrured card but if you apply and are denied they will likely counter offer with a secured card...so you could always just apply but have some cash ready to put down as a deposit on a secured card if you arent approved so you dont have to re-apply later and get hit up for a second inquiry.

I don't think this necessarily holds true.  As I stated, when I applied I had no preapproval offers and I was approved for the unsecured card.  I had the same experience with Amex.  At the time, I had no preapproval offers and I was approved for a PR Gold charge card.  YMMV.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 13 of 15
shane82388
Established Contributor

yeah...well either way its probably 50-50 chance, so it could definitely work out My main point was just be prepared to get the secured card if they dont approve you for an unsecured one just so you can get started with building your credit and getting closer to getting a real unsecured card.

Message 14 of 15
SevenNEW
Established Contributor

@Walt_K wrote:

@shane82388 wrote:

I don't think this necessarily holds true.  As I stated, when I applied I had no preapproval offers and I was approved for the unsecured card.  I had the same experience with Amex.  At the time, I had no preapproval offers and I was approved for a PR Gold charge card.  YMMV.

I agree. If OP has no credit history, of course he/she cannot be preapproved. On the other hand, he/she does not have recent baddies, so I would certainly apply if I were him/her.

SevenNEW, Garden Nerd - In the Garden until 2015!
4.2K 10K 24.6K
Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.