Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions about my scores and applying for an American Express card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Questions about my scores and applying for an American Express card

Okay I’m 17 years old and I recently got my score. My TransUnion is 562 and Equifax is 567. I really want to get a good card before I turn 18. Ik I’m young but still I don’t want to have a low score when I turn 18. Do someone have any recommendations? I really want to get the AMEX Green Card. How will I get that ? And why is my score so low ?

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: American Express green card, is it worth it?

@Anonymous wrote:
Okay I’m 17 years old and I recently got my score. My TransUnion is 562 and Equifax is 567. I really want to get a good card before I turn 18. Ik I’m young but still I don’t want to have a low score when I turn 18. Do someone have any recommendations? I really want to get the AMEX Green Card. How will I get that ? And why is my score so low ?

Because you specifically mention TransUnion and Equifax, I am assuming that those scores are from Credit Karma.  Credit Karma scores are VantageScore 3.0 not actual FICO scores, and they can vary by up to 100 points one direction or the other from FICO scores.  Unless you are an emancipated minor, you cannot legally enter into a credit agreement with a lender (and even then, there would be lots of hoops to jump through). Are you an authorized user on someone else's credit cards?  If so, that would explain why you have a score and information on your credit reports.

Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I’m on my parents Rewards Credit Card. But still why so low ? All my other friends did the same thing and found out there’s is 661 or up. Also would I get in trouble for doing that on credit karma ? All I did was change the year to a year older. Also since I did place a year older, did I merge my ssn or file with someone? Thank you soo much for the info your providing me.💗
Message 3 of 14
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
Yes, I’m on my parents Rewards Credit Card. But still why so low ? All my other friends did the same thing and found out there’s is 661 or up. Also would I get in trouble for doing that on credit karma ? All I did was change the year to a year older. Also since I did place a year older, did I merge my ssn or file with someone? Thank you soo much for the info your providing me.💗

By changing your birthdate, you could certainly be setting yourself up for problems down the road when applying for credit if there are competing birthdays on your credit reports that don't necessarily match what is on your application.  You should be able to see any accounts that you are on in Credit Karma for both of those credit bureaus, so if only your parents' card is showing no merging happened. As for the differing scores, you and your friends would have different scores depending on how old the account is, the payment history, and how much of the credit line was being utilized the last time the card was reported (usually monthly when the statement closes).  Again, VantageScore 3.0 scores are not actual FICO scores and almost all lenders will use some version of a FICO score.

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous

Welcome to MyFICO

I have moved your post to it's own thread for better visibility.  You are free to edit the thread title.  Good luck

Message 5 of 14
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

Re: Questions about my scores and applying for an American Express card

I think you should hit the brakes.   AMEX is not a starter card.   If your FICO scores are like these fake scores, you will not be approved for anything besides a secured credit card or one of the junk card companies with outrageous fees and terms -- Credit One and First Premier to name two.

It's also a very bad idea to start off your credit journey by lying about your age -- (which is fraud).

Sign up for myFICO or Credit Check Total and get your actual FICO scores.   Credit Karma scores aren't used by any lender I've ever heard of.

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

When you turn 18, obtain a secured credit card.  No one will know the difference unless you tell them.  Are you employed?  If you don't have a savings account, you should start one and use those funds for the secured card.  Just my two cents.

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the info ! No I know not to get any credit cards or loans until I’m 18 !
Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes I have a Local Bank checking and savings account I use to get my direct deposit.
Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello!
From my experience as a 19 Year old that applied for AMEX, there is no way they will approve you (your credit thickness and your scores are not up to their standards)—-I got denied with a 702 Fico Ex.

My advice, get a student credit card once you turn 18. I have a discover student that I just got and I Love It!!! Very easy to get approved for!

Another piece of advice that you can do now. Set up a checking and savings if you don’t already have one. Preferably, set this up at a bank whose credit card you may want. (I got approved for a BoA Cash Rewards; I think my relationship really helped with my approval).

Good luck!
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.