cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions regarding the Amex blacklist

tag
jenb22

Questions regarding the Amex blacklist

Hi Jen and welcome to the forums. I've split your post off to start a new thread. All I changed is the title - MarineVietVet, myFICO moderator

Hey Everyone! I am a newbie here as well and had a couple questions regarding the Amex blacklist. In college (don't most of the stories start this way), I got a bit over my head in credit cards and Amex blue was one of them I defaulted on. I had to file bankruptcy years later, and my amex was put into the bankruptcy. Fast forward, I now own my own home, nice cars, great job 200k+ and am finally in a much better place than I used to be. I was scared to apply for another Amex despite really wanting to be back in their good graces. My mom has great credit and signed up for a card and put me as the additional cardholder. To my surprise, the amex green she was approved for had my member date as 2012. When we got the amex platinum today, my member since is 01, which was when I originally had my american express. Is this going to help my credit significantly due to backdating? And, does this mean I am no longer on their blacklist? I am afraid to call and ask, am just excited to have this beautiful card!

Thanks for any help !

Starting Score: 657
Current Score: TU 651 EX ?? EQ 657
Goal Score: 730 Across the Board

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Re: Questions regarding the Amex blacklist

A little mixed up as you said your mom got Amex green and added you as additional user as Amex plat. In any case, if you were able to be added as Amex au, then you aren't on their blacklist anymore. Doesn't mean you will get one of your own, but if your fico looks good, you can apply.
               LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 2 of 18
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

And to add, yes if you have a Member Since date of 2001 then any AMEX account you have will be backdated to that year ~ this will help your Average Age of Accounts, although how much depends on how many other accounts are on your reports.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 3 of 18
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I would apply, if you are still blacklisted it will instantly deny the app with NO HP and ask you if you would like to view letter online or mail... and you can go look and it says something like past Amex relationship....

Message 4 of 18
jenb22

Thanks for your help everyone! And to the moderator...MarineVietVet...I am a marine corps vet as well. Thanks again!

Message 5 of 18
drkaje
Senior Contributor

I don't belive You'd qualify for Optima. Allegedly, there's a time-frame when they'll let someone back in post-BK.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Message 6 of 18
jenb22

Yeah , I had read on other boards that they you don't qualify for Optima if it was included in the bankruptcy. Right now, I am just shocked they even sent me the platinum card with the member date from 2001. I am hoping once I do some more gardening, and the bk falls completely off that I will be able to apply on my own and get back in good with Amex.

Message 7 of 18
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@jenb22 wrote:

Thanks for your help everyone! And to the moderator...MarineVietVet...I am a marine corps vet as well. Thanks again!

Semper Fi

Message 8 of 18
beb86
Valued Contributor

AMEX will blacklis you if you owe them money but if you have paid them every penny you should be fine

Message 9 of 18
jenb22

Amex was included in my BK and they don't allow you to repay after bankruptcy, I had already checked. My question was more along the lines of if they have let me be on my mom's account as an AU, green and platinum card....my platinum card was backdated to 2001, when I originally had my own account. I was hoping that the backdating would help my credit significantly, and in time be able to go back to Amex as a standalone card holder. I was assuming if they were backdating my card, and approved me as an AU that possibly I am off their blacklist.

Semper Fi

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.