Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quick question about credit card cancellations

tag
Ralph1611
Established Member

Quick question about credit card cancellations

Hello. I have a question I wish I could get an answer to. I am in the process of paying off all my credit cards(Im just starting). I have a few concerns. My wife paid off 2 of her cards almost a year ago and they canceled them on her without her knowing because she wasnt using them. From what I hear this isnt a new thing.

The question I want to ask is will or could....( or is it more likely than not) they cancel my cards if I am actively paying them every month but not using them. I would hate for that to happen because my plan is to pay them off one by one and then use them every 2 or 3 months and then just quickly pay the balance.

Whats your advice Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Quick question about credit card cancellations

For activity I use every card at least once a month and PIF. Some cards are specifically for utilities; I pay my electric with 1 card, gas bill with another, cable, cell, and water -- 5 different cards, all PIF immediately after using them. My other cards I use regularly - 1 cash back card for gas/groceries and another travel card for bigger purchases.

I guess the point is that if you're worried about losing them from inactivity, then just use them. I couldn't imagine having a card that I couldn't find a use for until I have two or three dozen. There's always something that I'd normally pay for with cash or debit.

With that said, I'm not suggesting manufacturing purchases. I currently own four or five items that I would never have bought but wanted something to register on store card accounts. Not a smart move on my part. Now, I only buy what I need and almost exclusively with credit cards. I'm pretty sure the $47 in my wallet currently are the same bills that I put in my wallet a couple of months ago when I was returning glass milk bottles at Whole Foods.

Message 2 of 6
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

I have never heard of a lender closing an account for non-use when a balance is carried and payments are being made. I had numerous accounts that I didn't use for years but did make payments on. Usually when cards are closed for non-use it's because there has been zero activity whatsoever. Once they're paid off, certainly put a small charge every 3-12 months on there to keep them active if you do not want them closed.
Message 3 of 6
Chris679
Established Contributor

I use every card at least once per year to show activity and keep it open.  If that is not enough then they can go ahead and close it.  So far no one has. 

Message 4 of 6
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@Ralph1611 wrote:

Hello. I have a question I wish I could get an answer to. I am in the process of paying off all my credit cards(Im just starting). I have a few concerns. My wife paid off 2 of her cards almost a year ago and they canceled them on her without her knowing because she wasnt using them. From what I hear this isnt a new thing.

The question I want to ask is will or could....( or is it more likely than not) they cancel my cards if I am actively paying them every month but not using them. I would hate for that to happen because my plan is to pay them off one by one and then use them every 2 or 3 months and then just quickly pay the balance.

Whats your advice Smiley Happy

Payment of a balance is considered activity, so your cards wouldn't be closed for inactivity while paying down a balance.   As for DW's situation, we would need more info.  Did they close her CCs after she paid off balances and didn't use for a long time?   Or did they close the accounts right after she was done paying?  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 5 of 6
Ralph1611
Established Member

Id like to thank everyone for contributing and alleviating my concerns. That was my plan.. when they are paid off then I will use them and pay them off immediately. Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.