cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quick questions on becoming an AU...

tag
OhioCPA
Frequent Contributor

Re: Quick questions on becoming an AU...

@j_casteel wrote:

I spoke with my brother and he said he's already made me an AU on both cards and used his own address. Guess we'll see how things go in a month or 2.

Thanks,

John

The nice thing about being an AU is that you can reverse any damage done, if there is any.

________________________________________________________________________________
Message 21 of 30
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

@OhioCPA wrote:

@j_casteel wrote:

I spoke with my brother and he said he's already made me an AU on both cards and used his own address. Guess we'll see how things go in a month or 2.

Thanks,

John

The nice thing about being an AU is that you can reverse any damage done, if there is any.

yeah, i'm thinking that this should really help me out though. Wish me luck....I know this is just a temporary fix, and I'm treating it as such.  As soon as i can get my own prime cards i will remove the AU's.

Learning from my past and rebuilding..

BK discharged 1/10/17
scores: EQ 659 | TU 630 | EX 659

QS 3.8K | WF 500 | Cabela's 3k | ACU 500 |

Message 22 of 30
ajh5408
Contributor

For the most part, all AU accounts are reported to the credit bureaus. Thing is, if the card issuer only asks for your name, they will use the address of the primary account holder. If you don't already have that address on your report, it almost certainly will not show up. On the other hand, if the issuer asks for your name, address, and SSN (like AMEX and CapitalOne) it almost certainly will show up on your report. I would strongly suggest using your real address when given the opportunity... The side effect of your brother using his address (but presumably your SSN) is that his address may end up on your credit report, which could trigger the other accounts (reported under your name/his address) to show up... But it's all very YMMV, since the matching is done by the reporting agencies based on what's passed on to them by the issuer.

Message 23 of 30
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

@ajh5408 wrote:

For the most part, all AU accounts are reported to the credit bureaus. Thing is, if the card issuer only asks for your name, they will use the address of the primary account holder. If you don't already have that address on your report, it almost certainly will not show up. On the other hand, if the issuer asks for your name, address, and SSN (like AMEX and CapitalOne) it almost certainly will show up on your report. I would strongly suggest using your real address when given the opportunity... The side effect of your brother using his address (but presumably your SSN) is that his address may end up on your credit report, which could trigger the other accounts (reported under your name/his address) to show up... But it's all very YMMV, since the matching is done by the reporting agencies based on what's passed on to them by the issuer.

yeah, he's called and confirmed with AMEX already. It will show up...they asked for more info than just my name. Guess, we'll just have to wait and see about Citi. If they don't show up then he'll either call and request that they report for me or i guess we can just remove it.

Learning from my past and rebuilding..

BK discharged 1/10/17
scores: EQ 659 | TU 630 | EX 659

QS 3.8K | WF 500 | Cabela's 3k | ACU 500 |

Message 24 of 30
CruzImperial
Established Contributor

Having such high CLs will help you lots. I just aplied this Wednesday for a HHgregg CC in store and was approved instantly with a 5K CL.

I´m still a student and I bet my parents´ old BoA (only card that would appear in my credit report)  AU did the trick. Btw, they only needed my name as well.

Let us know how Citi handles your request please.

Fico Scores: . Walmart TU 748 . Garden 8/19 2014 .

Cap One Journey 500 | Discover IT 500 | GE Home Design 5.6k | GE HHGREGG 5k | Amex Zync NPSL | Amex BCE 6k | Citi Forward 4.2k | Citi Dividend 3k | GE BrandsMart 1k | GE Lowes 8.5k | Discover Walmart 7.5k | Barclays Apple 2.5k | BoA CR 2.7k | CSP 7.2k | Platinum Prestige 5k | IT Chrome 4k | Slate 2.3k |
Message 25 of 30
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

if citi did not request the op's ssn then how would they report the tradeline on his reports?

NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 26 of 30
Crashem
Valued Contributor

@OhioCPA wrote:

@Crashem wrote:
Also, if you and your brother don't share common address, the cras may not pick up your au accounts as you saw with Citibank, they just asked for your name. Might have to get his address onto your credit report somehow.

Amex does ask for SSN for ACM so it is possible to match on that alone.

Since the OP's brother is going to destroy the cards I see no problem with using his address for the AU. This would give him more control over the account anyway.This would prevent the OP from ordering a replacement card that which would be sent to the address on record.

Thats why I didn't mention the AMEX and only the citibank.  The AMEX will show.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 27 of 30
OhioCPA
Frequent Contributor

@rootpooty wrote:

if citi did not request the op's ssn then how would they report the tradeline on his reports?

As stated above by ajh5408, by matching the name and address. A SSN match is not required for a lot of items that end up on credit reports, such as public records.

________________________________________________________________________________
Message 28 of 30
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

@OhioCPA wrote:

@rootpooty wrote:

As stated above by ajh5408, by matching the name and address. A SSN match is not required for a lot of items that end up on credit reports, such as public records.

so lie and state that you live at an address that you dont live at? seems like a legit way to try and trick the system

NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 29 of 30
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

Keep in mind that the reason authorized users are reported to credit bureaus at all is to allow non-working spouses to develop a credit file independent of the working spouse. At least that was the argument used a few years ago when the credit bureaus tried to stop reporting of authorized user accounts. It is also tacitly understood that parents may use this feature to help establish credit for their children still (officially) living at home, ie college students. Excluding AMEX (additional card member is its own beast), most issuers provide the name of the authorized user, the address the card was mailed to (for most banks, this will be the original cardholder) and any other information they collect as part of the authorized user application. The credit bureaus then attempt to match this information with their files. So to "lie" about your address, you would have to update the address that all 3 bureaus have (not the issuer). If you have other creditors listing your actual address, this could cause problems. It may trigger fraud alerts or cause the address to revert when another account updates.
In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 30 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.