Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

QuickSilver One Product Upgrade - need advice

tag
fleetfoot
Valued Member

QuickSilver One Product Upgrade - need advice

As part of my rebuild beginning 12 years ago, I opened a CapOne Platinum.  I later upgraded the card to a QuickSilver One, but it has been stuck there for 8 years.  How do I get it upgraded to a no annual fee card?  I will not close it because it is over 12 years old.  For the past four years I have called in January when the AF posts and I have been successful in having it waived.  I just want to change it to a no-fee card.  Any suggestions would be appreciated since the AF is scheduled to post at the end of this month.  It currently has a credit limit of $2600 and recent attempts to have it raised have been unsuccessful.  Thanks.

all FICO8's in mid 700's

credit utilization across all credit cards 21%

AAoA 6 yrs 4 mos

Ex FICO8 762
Eq FICO8 767
TU FICO8 753
AAoA 10 yrs, 1 mo
AoOA 35 yrs, 2 mos
AoYA 3 mos
32 REPLIES 32
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: QuickSilver One Product Upgrade - need advice

If there isn't an offer available you can't pc it. No one knows how to trigger one. The only known time is about the 4th month after opening a new card. Any time after that has been sporadic. I would just close it, which is the plan for mine at AF time. Cap1 is pretty good at reporting it for about 10 more years.

Message 2 of 33
fleetfoot
Valued Member

Thanks for the information. 

Ex FICO8 762
Eq FICO8 767
TU FICO8 753
AAoA 10 yrs, 1 mo
AoOA 35 yrs, 2 mos
AoYA 3 mos
Message 3 of 33
NRB525
Super Contributor

Congrats on your rebuild progress.
Because of your efforts, closing this card won't noticeably change your scores. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 4 of 33
fleetfoot
Valued Member

@NRB525 wrote:

Congrats on your rebuild progress.
Because of your efforts, closing this card won't noticeably change your scores. 

Thanks for your comment about my rebuild.

I don't fully understand how closing this card will not change my scores.  My oldest card is 35 yrs. which I have deliberately left open even though I have other more rewarding cards.  The QuickSilver One is the next oldest at 12 yrs. 

Ex FICO8 762
Eq FICO8 767
TU FICO8 753
AAoA 10 yrs, 1 mo
AoOA 35 yrs, 2 mos
AoYA 3 mos
Message 5 of 33
jcooks
Established Contributor

The 12 year age will still report and contribute to your age of accounts even when closed. It will stay on your report for 10 years from when you close it.

Message 6 of 33
fleetfoot
Valued Member

@jcooks wrote:

The 12 year age will still report and contribute to your age of accounts even when closed. It will stay on your report for 10 years from when you close it.

jcooks -

Thanks.  This information makes my decision easier should CapOne refuse to honor my request to waive the AF.  I read somehwhere else that CapOne will consider permanently waiving the AF.  Any thoughts on that? 

Ex FICO8 762
Eq FICO8 767
TU FICO8 753
AAoA 10 yrs, 1 mo
AoOA 35 yrs, 2 mos
AoYA 3 mos
Message 7 of 33
jcooks
Established Contributor

I haven't been able to get them to waive 1 AF, and mine just posted a few days ago.  Small price to pay in my eyes.  I just put a few $$ on it every few months to keep it going.

Message 8 of 33
boosnark
Contributor

I am a bit confused here. Did you try calling them up and asking to product change to a different card with no annual fee? What was the response?

Alternatively log into your account, navigate to your card landing page, and then append /productupgrade to the URL address to see if any options come up? That was how I did my previous product change.

Gardening until November 1, 2023
Message 9 of 33
fleetfoot
Valued Member

@boosnark wrote:

I am a bit confused here. Did you try calling them up and asking to product change to a different card with no annual fee? What was the response?

Alternatively log into your account, navigate to your card landing page, and then append /productupgrade to the URL address to see if any options come up? That was how I did my previous product change.

Yes, I have called multiple times over the past eight years and asked for a product change with no success.  I have also repeatedly tried the product change on my acocunt by adding  "/productupgrade"  to the end of the url.  That has always given me the message "upgrade no longer available" message.

Ex FICO8 762
Eq FICO8 767
TU FICO8 753
AAoA 10 yrs, 1 mo
AoOA 35 yrs, 2 mos
AoYA 3 mos
Message 10 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.