Did you mean: 

Quicksilver for short credit history

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Quicksilver for short credit history

@Remedios wrote:

Who do you bank with? Maybe they would have suitable cards for you 

Unfortuantely they only offer AMEX cards. I'm totally fine with the plan to wait for my secured card to unsecure though, and hopefully soon after to upgrade to the Quicksilver one.

Message 11 of 23
CivalV
Established Contributor

I had a Cap 1 secured card. It unsecured and they gave me a CLI of $500. Sept 18’ I had an offer to upgrade it to the QS & did so with no issues. Apping for another Cap 1 card will be another 3 pulls and if your scores are right you could be approved and also have a good SL. People say to check the prequal site first while others say they never get prequals so they cold app and end up getting approved.
Message 12 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CivalV wrote:
I had a Cap 1 secured card. It unsecured and they gave me a CLI of $500. Sept 18’ I had an offer to upgrade it to the QS & did so with no issues. Apping for another Cap 1 card will be another 3 pulls and if your scores are right you could be approved and also have a good SL. People say to check the prequal site first while others say they never get prequals so they cold app and end up getting approved.

You should always check prequals first. There’s no downside to doing so and being prequalified for a specific card increases your chance of getting that particular card. It’s not a guarantee by any means but it’s a better bet than a cold app and getting denied when you had another card option that would have been approved. 

Message 13 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everyone, that's super helpful!

So, to summarize the timing, I should receive an offer to unsecure and get the Platinum card after approximately a year of good usage. How long after that can I expect to receive an offer to upgrade to the Quicksilver card (assuming I keep my utilization low and my payments on time) ?

Message 14 of 23
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

So, to summarize the timing, I should receive an offer to unsecure and get the Platinum card after approximately a year of good usage. How long after that can I expect to receive an offer to upgrade to the Quicksilver card (assuming I keep my utilization low and my payments on time) ?

Once the card unsecures, wait a few weeks to a month for their system to catch up

If you try doing it too soon, it will still "recognize" it as a secured card

I think I PCd mine three weeks after it unsecured. 

Message 15 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Remedios wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Once the card unsecures, wait a few weeks to a month for their system to catch up

Thank you! Last question: can you confirm that the only way to keep my credit history with Capital One is to upgrade my current card? For instance, I assume that applying separately for the Quicksilver and then closing my secured card won't keep my credit history, right?

Message 16 of 23
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you! Last question: can you confirm that the only way to keep my credit history with Capital One is to upgrade my current card? For instance, I assume that applying separately for the Quicksilver and then closing my secured card won't keep my credit history, right?

The closed card will stay on your CR up to 10 years after it's closed , so you keep history during that time. 

Your file is young, there will be other cards soon. Closing this one down the road when the time comes  will not affect you

Message 17 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Remedios wrote:

Closing this one down the road when the time comes  will not affect you

Well it'll affect my credit age, right? The secured card is my oldest one, which is why I'm trying to upgrade it instead of closing it.

Message 18 of 23
Remedios
Credit Mentor

It wont affect it for up to 10 years, as it stays on your CR and contributes to aaoa.
After it falls off, your other cards will be well aged.

I'd be concerned if this card was your oldest by many years, but in your case it's only couple of months.

If you want a detailed explanation about aging or any other scoring factor, feel free to post your questions in scoring forum. People there know their stuff.
Message 19 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Makes sense, thank you!

Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.