Quicksilver => Venture X

tag
notmyrealname23
Established Contributor

Re: Quicksilver => Venture X

@Aim_High wrote:

@NoMoreE46 wrote:

OP, 

As @FinStar noted, some will have the choice to PC.  This is a screenshot from my Quick Silver:

c1 upgrade.jpg

With your current profile,  you will not have any offers to PC to any of their other cards.   

Build up your profile and then maybe cold app for the Ven X.   Looking forward to when to report your success!

Just curious, @NoMoreE46 and @notmyrealname23, but is/was your Quicksilver a Visa or Mastercard?  I suspect a Visa?? 

Capital One has issued the card on either network over the years.  Mine (from 2009) is a Mastercard.  They have been offering me the PC option to either Venture or Venture ONE but (NOT) Venture X.  The difference appears to be that the Venture X is a Visa Infinite versus a Mastercard. 

Issued originally as a Venture Visa card and always stayed Visa.

| Charles Schwab AMEX Platinum NPSL | Amex Platinum (I know) NPSL | Amex Gold NPSL | First Tech FCU Choice Rewards World MC 35k | AMEX Hilton Aspire 17.5k | Chase Southwest Priority Visa 15.5k | AMEX Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant 18k | Bilt Rewards MC 14k | Capital One Venture X 13k | Fidelity VISA Signature 11.5k | Citi Custom Cash 11.9k | Citi Premier 8.9k | Chase Freedom Unlimited 9k | SoFi MC World Elite 8k | Barclays AAdvantage Aviator Red 8k | Capital One SavorOne 7.5k | PayPal Synchrony MC 6.4k | Citi Custom Cash 6.9k | DiscoverIt Cashback 5k | Amazon/Synchrony 5k | Hotels.com 5k | Apple Card 3k | Target 800 | Ch 13 filed 12/13 discharged as paid 1/19
Message 21 of 23
NoMoreE46
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

@Aim_High,

So you have the option to PC from your Quick Silver MC to the Venture One or Venture but not the Venture X.    If you had PC'd then the new card would remain on the MC network.   

Although your account is just one DP,  we might be able to corroborate from subsequent posts that Capital One is locked into the Visa (Infinite) for the X as noted.  Your QS being issued as a  MC  might be the unfortunate reason that you don't have the X isn't as a PC option. 

@UncleB wrote:

In the past Capital One never seemed to care what network a particular card was on when it came to doing a product change.  If you dig around enough, you'll even find some members on this site who have a Savor Visa card due to PC (which has never been an option for new apps).

The Venture X seems to be the exception to this, though.  I suspect that's because the Venture X is a Visa Infinite card, and World Elite MasterCard isn't really equivalent.  To get the suite of benefits associated with "Venture X" the account needs to be an Infinite card, which is only possible with Visa.  

Also, FWIW Capital One has never been willing/able to change a card from MasterCard to Visa (or vice versa) on request.  They have been known to change the network of Discover and Amex cards acquired due to mergers, etc. (usually to MasterCard) but those are the exceptions to the "rule."

Just my 2¢.

Message 22 of 23
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@NoMoreE46 wrote:

@Aim_High,

So you have the option to PC from your Quick Silver MC to the Venture One or Venture but not the Venture X.    If you had PC'd then the new card would remain on the MC network.   

Although your account is just one DP,  we might be able to corroborate from subsequent posts that Capital One is locked into the Visa (Infinite) for the X as noted.  Your QS being issued as a  MC  might be the unfortunate reason that you don't have the X isn't as a PC option. 

Exactly, @NoMoreE46.  That's been my suspicion for awhile now but I'm just trying to cooberate it.  The "X" perks are specifically  provided by Visa Infinite (like some other cards including my Chase Sapphire Reserve) and there's no comparable Mastercard perks.  So the only way to PC a card would be to allow it to convert networks.   I suspect that any reports of PC from Quicksilver to Venture X were cards already on the Visa network.  Looks like I'm stuck with Quicksilver or maybe a Venture conversion with this card.   I do find it a little curious that they don't offer me a PC to the Savor card, though.  I thought that was being issued as a Mastercard??   All they've ever given me was Venture/Venture One.  

Really, I don't need the Quicksilver (or) Venture X.  Venture X is compelling but I already have my Chase Sapphire Reserve.  Quicksilver has become passe' with the 1.5% cash back - which used to be industry leading less than ten years ago.  My how times change.  Smiley Surprised  I hang onto Quicksilver for a few reasons.  I like Capital One and they've been a reliable, easy lender.  I hope they might offer improvements to the Quicksilver, such as increasing rewards to 2% (or maybe do what Chase did with Freedom Unlimited and add some higher-earning categories.)  Or I hope they'll offer future product change or credit limit consolidations in the future where this card/limit could be salvaged instead of just closing it.  For now, the extra CL utilization padding and credit age is helpful. (Opened 2009, so above the halfway point in my card ages.) 

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 23 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.