cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RIP Amex BCE and Citi Diamond Preferred!

tag
woodyman100
Valued Contributor

Re: RIP Amex BCE

@baller4life wrote:

Well the purge of useless cards have begun in preparation of fine tuning my portfolio. First up, BCE. Unfortunately Sallie Mae has totally made this card useless to me. And rather than keep it sock drawered, I just decided to close it. I only got it in the first place because I was going to close my old Delta Gold before the fee became due and transfer my $25k limit to BCE which is only $2k. However, I later learned I could simply pc to HHonors which I did. One less card to manage! YAY! Next up Diner's Premier! Smiley Wink

Don't ditch the hidden line?! Oh please say it isn't so

NFCU-ICCU-EECU-PSECU-DoverFCU-DCUFCU-Union Square FCU-Signature FCU-AODFCU-RedstoneFCU-USAllianceFCU-Amarillo National Bank-BHG MC-CapitalOne-CapitalOne Biz-Regions-Goldman Sachs (Apple/GM)-Evolve-Fifth Third-Gemini-Huntington-Imprint-USBank-Pinnacle-Cardless-John Deere-Discover-BofA-BofA Biz-Celtic Bank (M1)-Chase-Chase Biz-Amex-Amex Biz-Wells Fargo-Commerce-FNBO-Citi-Citi Biz-Synchrony-Synchrony Biz-Target TD-Third Coast Bank-USAA-Amegy-Amegy Biz-Dell-Citizens Biz-Comenity-Comenity Biz-Bread (Comenity)-DSNB-Webbank-Bill
Message 31 of 78
baller4life
Super Contributor

@Man-Of-Steel wrote:

Good for you baller.  It looks like that was a good move for you.  Just curious about something.......We know that you are all about Discover Smiley Wink.....and I noticed that you have a freedom card.  Do you find the freedom card useful, in light of the fact that you also have the it card?

I absolutely find them both useful. The 5% rotating categories rarely are the same. Discover is of course running the double cash back promotion for the next year. So, currently Chase is my gas card. I will typical use it for category spending. When I pay off a 0% apr balance with Discover, it will be my catch all for everything else.

Message 32 of 78
Man-Of-Steel
Established Contributor

@baller4life wrote:

@Man-Of-Steel wrote:

Good for you baller.  It looks like that was a good move for you.  Just curious about something.......We know that you are all about Discover Smiley Wink.....and I noticed that you have a freedom card.  Do you find the freedom card useful, in light of the fact that you also have the it card?

I absolutely find them both useful. The 5% rotating categories rarely are the same. Discover is of course running the double cash back promotion for the next year. So, currently Chase is my gas card. I will typical use it for category spending. When I pay off a 0% apr balance with Discover, it will be my catch all for everything else.

Good to know.

Message 33 of 78
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@baller4life wrote:

@Man-Of-Steel wrote:

Eh....I think on a cash back basis, excluding CSP transfers, Discover is hands down better: home improvement vs just Lowe's, online shopping vs just Amazon, etc. No harm in keeping both, I suppose, but I think Discover is the clear winner (at least, it is with my spend lol). I find both to be redundant.

I agree with you OP about BCE though. Mine is basically SD at this point. While I have no bonus grocery card other than it, my actual grocery store spend is not very significant since I get a lot of things at Target (debit redcard) and BJ's (have their 5% mastercard). In light of this, putting my grocery spend on my DC at 2% is really not a huge difference, so the BCE may get closed someday.

Message 34 of 78
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good for you!  Smiley Very Happy  I'm still deciding which of mine will be leaving in Dec.

Message 35 of 78
weehoo
Frequent Contributor

@baller4life wrote:

Well the purge of useless cards have begun in preparation of fine tuning my portfolio. First up, BCE. Unfortunately Sallie Mae has totally made this card useless to me. And rather than keep it sock drawered, I just decided to close it. I only got it in the first place because I was going to close my old Delta Gold before the fee became due and transfer my $25k limit to BCE which is only $2k. However, I later learned I could simply pc to HHonors which I did. One less card to manage! YAY! Next up Diner's Premier! Smiley Wink

Yea that card has got to go. i purged mine as well

Citi AAdvantage WE - 41k | Marriott Bonvoy Brilliance - 29k | Citi Double Cash - 19 .5k | Southwest Premier - 39k | Discover Miles - 23k | GECRB Ebates Visa - 10k | Golden1 Rewards - $10k | Ducks Unlimited - 6k |
Message 36 of 78
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@kdm31091 wrote:

@baller4life wrote:

@Man-Of-Steel wrote:

Eh....I think on a cash back basis, excluding CSP transfers, Discover is hands down better: home improvement vs just Lowe's, online shopping vs just Amazon, etc. No harm in keeping both, I suppose, but I think Discover is the clear winner (at least, it is with my spend lol). I find both to be redundant.

I agree with you OP about BCE though. Mine is basically SD at this point. While I have no bonus grocery card other than it, my actual grocery store spend is not very significant since I get a lot of things at Target (debit redcard) and BJ's (have their 5% mastercard). In light of this, putting my grocery spend on my DC at 2% is really not a huge difference, so the BCE may get closed someday.

Both are redundant IMO.  If you want a no AF card then probably the Disover beats the freedom.. If you have the Freedom/CSP combo imo then Freedom > Discover for the reason of transferring to CSP then to partners(as urs are worth more then 1cpp).  Obviously this is based on what YOUR need is.  You prefer cash and arent persay a big spender thus the discover is better for you. Others the Freedom/CSP combo destroy the discover if the spend is enough and you travel.  So there is no right answer.  Obviously we know KDM you like the Discover card, others prefer the Freedom/CSP combo.  Each case is different

Message 37 of 78
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@weehoo wrote:

@baller4life wrote:

Yea that card has got to go. i purged mine as well

I converted the BCE to BCP earlier this year. I might convert it back to BCE before the next full AF is due. Simply trying to get as much cashback as possible with paying a truncated annual fee. One of the reasons I'm holding it is that it is my only AMEX so far; and I'm really hoping that sometimes this Fall they'll come up with a replacement for their Costco card, and it will have some great benefits, and they'll let me PC my current card to that. 

Message 38 of 78
kdm31091
Super Contributor

But as I stated im not talking about with a csp. Comparing literally just freedom to just discover I think discover wins out but yes its just an opinion
Message 39 of 78
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

@baller4life wrote:

@Man-Of-Steel wrote:

Both are redundant IMO.  If you want a no AF card then probably the Disover beats the freedom.. If you have the Freedom/CSP combo imo then Freedom > Discover for the reason of transferring to CSP then to partners(as urs are worth more then 1cpp).  Obviously this is based on what YOUR need is.  You prefer cash and arent persay a big spender thus the discover is better for you. Others the Freedom/CSP combo destroy the discover if the spend is enough and you travel.  So there is no right answer.  Obviously we know KDM you like the Discover card, others prefer the Freedom/CSP combo.  Each case is different

But this year, with the double cashback, plus the deals, Discover is going to beat Freedom out of the park, even with CSP. I get the travel part, and maybe dining during non-dining quarters on the CSP, but for that you don't need the Freedom. You could argue that it's possible to get 2cpp valuation on UR but I typically get around 1.6-1.7 (without tearing my hair or whatever is remaining of them off). I'll put some gas on Freedom this quarter because 5UR>5.5cents on the SMMC but that's about it.

Message 40 of 78
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.