Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RIP Target and HSBC Discover

tag
MBOhio2
Established Contributor

Re: RIP Target and HSBC Discover

That has to be a good feeling! I cannot wait to close my silly WFNNB Harlem Furniture credit card as soon as it's paid off. They lowered the CL from $2500 to $100 a year back and I've been dying to get rid of it since then!!

Mid-2010 Starting Scores: FAKO EQ 476 FAKO EX 506 FICO TU98 575
July 2017 Current Scores: Approx 710 (waiting for official updates)
Message 11 of 30
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@llecs wrote:

@mauve wrote:

llecs, I'm surprised your Target didn't graduate - they surprised me after a relatively short period of time by upgrading me from my $200 Target card to a $1k Target Visa.  

I tried everything. I carried a large balance. I carried no balance. I used it monthly and PIF over and over. I shelved it for months at a time. Never late. Always on time. Never OTL. I tried every scenario possible to no avail. DW on the other hand got a CLI to $500 after her first month. She maxed hers out on the first purchase and was declined. She removed some items and the following month she got a CLI. : /

I didn't need to close it since there was no AF, but I got tired of juggling so many accounts. It was funny, during the mortgage process in Dec/Jan, the lender saw our 35+ combined total active TLs and gasped. "Why?!" ...I tooked it to be a rhetorical question and smiled.

Smiley Very Happy

btw, and OT of course, this is a useful nugget on the topic of whether lenders will make you close "excess" CC's during the mortgage process. I assume that you came through with all 35+ intact? (until you axed them on your own, of course)

Meanwhile, it's very gracious of you to free up your enormous CL's on these two cards for future users.  Smiley Wink

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 12 of 30
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

@llecs wrote:

@mauve wrote:

llecs, I'm surprised your Target didn't graduate - they surprised me after a relatively short period of time by upgrading me from my $200 Target card to a $1k Target Visa.  

I tried everything. I carried a large balance. I carried no balance. I used it monthly and PIF over and over. I shelved it for months at a time. Never late. Always on time. Never OTL. I tried every scenario possible to no avail. DW on the other hand got a CLI to $500 after her first month. She maxed hers out on the first purchase and was declined. She removed some items and the following month she got a CLI. : /

I didn't need to close it since there was no AF, but I got tired of juggling so many accounts. It was funny, during the mortgage process in Dec/Jan, the lender saw our 35+ combined total active TLs and gasped. "Why?!" ...I tooked it to be a rhetorical question and smiled.

Smiley Very Happy

btw, and OT of course, this is a useful nugget on the topic of whether lenders will make you close "excess" CC's during the mortgage process. I assume that you came through with all 35+ intact? (until you axed them on your own, of course)

Meanwhile, it's very gracious of you to free up your enormous CL's on these two cards for future users.  Smiley Wink

The lender didn't care or at least didn't say anything (other than LO's gasp). They were particular as to whether or not they had $0 balances, though. At App-time, two-thirds were still open and active, but were zeroed out.

Hey, I'm just doing my part to help out the economy. Rest assured that Target and HSBC will resume manual CLIs once again.

Message 13 of 30
demi
Established Contributor

Still trying to figure out how I went from $5000 credit limit on my Target to $500 when I paid it off.  They couldn't wouldn't explain.  Its been two years now, have at times carried 400 or so balance.  Since there is no fee, I like to charge about $10 and pay it off...just to bug them.

Starting Score: EQ 679, TU 697
Current Score: EQ 680, TU 672
Goal Score: EQ 720, TU 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 14 of 30
DI
Super Contributor

@demi wrote:

Still trying to figure out how I went from $5000 credit limit on my Target to $500 when I paid it off.  They couldn't wouldn't explain.  Its been two years now, have at times carried 400 or so balance.  Since there is no fee, I like to charge about $10 and pay it off...just to bug them.

Target dropped me from $1500 to $1000.  Then, I later called and had them to decrease it to $500.   It's my oldest card.  I ask for a CL restoration but they're not doing manual CLI.  I doubt if I ever get a CLI.  I haven't used the card at a Target store in years.

Message 15 of 30
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

BUMP....Update:

OK, so I get a statement from HSBC Discover this weekend. Even though the $59 AF was charged in December, and even though I closed it two months later in mid-February, the statement they just sent over shows a statement credit of negative $59. I guess they refunded the AF even though I closed it a couple of months later. Cool deal.....FYI for those who are thinking about closing AF CCs, but procrastinated a month or two too late. Off to rummage through my piles of unopened mail to see if there's a $59 check in there somewhere.

Message 16 of 30
creditguy-378
Regular Contributor

that great unfortuantly I have to keep my hsbc sig. card it was my first card and when I got it they backdated me from when I was an au on my moms goes back to 97 even though I don't have to pay an af anymore I don't think i'll be getting a cli again it was 6200 then went down to 3800 when the depression hit what can u do at least i don't pay an af anymore

always use credit wisely and you won't ever feel like you're working just for the task master
Message 17 of 30
vish1
Valued Contributor

Citi Hilton Reserve 22.3K | Citi Thank You 8.2K | CSP 15.5K | Chase Freedom 10K | Chase BA 15K | Chase United 8.5K | Chase Marriott 5K | Discover IT 9K | Club Carlson 13K | Amex SPG 20K | BofA Cash Rewards 11K | BofA Cash Rewards 50K
Message 18 of 30
vish1
Valued Contributor

@creditguy-378 wrote:

that great unfortuantly I have to keep my hsbc sig. card it was my first card and when I got it they backdated me from when I was an au on my moms goes back to 97 even though I don't have to pay an af anymore I don't think i'll be getting a cli again it was 6200 then went down to 3800 when the depression hit what can u do at least i don't pay an af anymore

HSBC backdating? I have only heard of amex backdating. I have not heard of HSBC visa signature either. Am I missing something?

Citi Hilton Reserve 22.3K | Citi Thank You 8.2K | CSP 15.5K | Chase Freedom 10K | Chase BA 15K | Chase United 8.5K | Chase Marriott 5K | Discover IT 9K | Club Carlson 13K | Amex SPG 20K | BofA Cash Rewards 11K | BofA Cash Rewards 50K
Message 19 of 30
creditguy-378
Regular Contributor

i only got the card because my family banks there if u go to the us website us.hsbc.com they call it a "world mc card"  it's means the same as "signature" just means they don't report your limit  to the cra's

always use credit wisely and you won't ever feel like you're working just for the task master
Message 20 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.