Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RUMOR: Chase CSR to increase to $550

tag
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: RUMOR: Chase CSR to increase to $550

@Anonymous wrote:

https://travelupdate.boardingarea.com/is-the-chase-sapphire-reserve-about-to-undergo-a-refresh/

Saw this a couple weeks ago. Any current CSR holders receive the survey from Chase?  It only really mentions a possible design change, but alludes that it would unlikely be the only modification.

Get surveys all the time from them as on the "committee", but rarely do I have time to look at them most days due to work.. Sometimes I do, but last one I actually did was the card design.  typically they kick around alot of ideas on things and interrest levels etc and feelings etc..Usually like rank design form best to worse and very basic binary type questions with 1-10 type scales

Message 31 of 323
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Chase can shove it with designs. They sent me replacement for CSP (contactless) it was so light blue, it almost looked like freedom. I dislike blue cards, but light blue cards give me hives. 

I put it in that shredding envelope and sent it back to them. 

Anyway, now I'm dwelling on a need for CFU 🤷‍♀️

Message 32 of 323
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Remmy, i prefer the FU for ChaseSmiley Wink
Message 33 of 323
Remedios
Credit Mentor

I like Chase. As far as lenders go, they are solid, stable and have things I want. 

If I did not, I'd cancel cards. I prefer my credit "relationships" to be symbiotic in nature. 

Message 34 of 323
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

I like Chase. As far as lenders go, they are solid, stable and have things I want. 

If I did not, I'd cancel cards. I prefer my credit "relationships" to be symbiotic in nature. 

Smiley Surprised

I was kinda under the impression that they were on your naughty list.   They are definitely NOT on mine.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 35 of 323
Remedios
Credit Mentor

They are not. Their fraud department used to be, but they've learned how to chill since. 

Message 36 of 323
MyFault
Valued Contributor

If the AF goes to $550, i'd like to see points raised to at least 4x. 5x, i think, would be pushing it. However i'd gladly take it! I also would like to see a higher travel credit, or possibly a lift credit similar to the Amex Platinum with Uber.

I think with the Amex green coming out, offering 3x points on travel and dining with a much lower AF it definitely makes a strong case to switch to MR points. If i wasn't so heavily invested in chase right now, i would probably switch, and may still do so after i've gotten my last Chase card (CFU) under 5/24 and use all my points on my honeymoon next year.

The Amex Green and Gold together are a strong contender to the CSR right now. Chase needs to step it up imo.

Personally i would love to see Chase create Sapphire lounges in airports, similar to the Centurion lounge. But i know that's wishful thinking. The CSR would need to become more prestigious, and Chase would also need a card close to the Centurion card, to help pay for the lounges.

|  
Message 37 of 323
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Are they adding anything to make up for the increase? Or is that still unknown? 

I wonder this as well if they are planning to do so.  While CSR is a great card for many people, a lot of us have other cards where an increase of $100 on CSR might have us doing math as to whether it is really worth keeping.  I personally only have mine because of the additional bonus on URs redeemed through the travel portal over CSP, and for the 3x earning on restaurants where I can't use Altitude Reserve.

Same with me, the bonus on my cache of URs still makes it seem worthwhile.   And now there are some other good alternatives out there, such as Double Cash + Premier, which get 2.5 through the portal on general spend, as compared to 2.25% with CSR + CFU

So what would be interesting, but presumably not all possible, would be for Amex to do something similar to the recent (expired) T-Mobile vs Verizon promotion, where you could move your (compatible) VZ phone to T-Mobile and they would pay all your remaining device charges, making it very attractive to switch.    So Amex buys out your URs at 1.5c, or, for those that like transfer, convert them to MRs with some factor.     Yes, not going to happen!

Message 38 of 323
VPExecutive
Frequent Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

I know with the launch of the CSR, Chase spent a lot on all those signup bonuses. However, that was 3 years ago, and they really have not done anything to update the product since then, whereas competitors have. So just increasing the AF and not adding any benefits doesn't seem like a smart move. Chase has to remember they are not the only player out there. Of course, it could be that as consumers have gotten more savvy with maximizing rewards and juggling cards, the CSR is just not profitable.

We will see what they do, but just raising the AF and not adding anything seems like a bad move.

Would have to agree here. I don't see Chase adding to the points earning structure, though, which could ultimately cost them more than what the $100 annual fee increase brings in. Chase would have to offer a new benefit that costs them less than $100, which is hard to find, seeing as most benefits aren't worth it to the cardholder unless they cost more than $100 (ex: Admirals Club Access or something). 

Message 39 of 323
imaximous
Valued Contributor

I've almost stopped using CSR for some time. I have E-ZPass & Sunpass linked to it, so those charges erase my $300 travel credit. Once in a while, there's a Chase Offer on it worth pursuing, but that's about it. I've been using it to transfer points to Hyatt or purchase revenue travel on the portal. URs are basically coming from CF, CFU and CIC. If it weren't for 1.5x on the portal, I'd probably downgrade it to CSP.

I'd love to see some updates - good or bad. I don't care at this point. Just give me something new. Smiley Very Happy

Message 40 of 323
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.