Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RUMOR: Chase CSR to increase to $550

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: RUMOR: Chase CSR to increase to $550

I hope chase keeps with the standard redeeming situation and avoids going to break credits like lyft or grubhub. The best part of the CSR is how versatile and straightforward it is. Adding fluff to it does nothing for me if that is all I get for the increase AF. 

Message 41 of 323
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Or makes you eat chicken to get statement credit 

Message 42 of 323
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Remedios wrote:

Exactly. Those are gimmicky. The beauty of the CSR for me was how you didn't have to gimmick anything: you get a flat rate travel credit. Points are worth a pretty set amount. Categories are clearly defined and broad for points. It's clear, simple and didn't require much to think about. 

Compare to my AMEX gold, which I am debating closing: most of the value comes from random statement credits and restrictive airline spend that doesn't even properly post sometimes. Not nearly as intuitive and, in my specific case, not that useful (even with a Shake shack near my office)

Message 43 of 323
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Remedios wrote:

*cough*  I get a $0.05 meal and 60 MR points every month from that chicken.  (4x for restaurants on Gold + 1x GrubHub bonus Amex Offer + 1x for going through Rakuten app to GrubHub app.)

kfc_gold_card.png

Message 44 of 323
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

They are not. Their fraud department used to be, but they've learned how to chill since. 

Citi and I both have battle scars from warring over their fraud lunacy. Chase is a walk in the park by comparison.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 45 of 323
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

There are things to potentially add other than improving the earn rate. Perhaps a monthly dining or rideshare credit.

So, you mean AMEX-style credits that are so narrowly-focused that they are cumbersome to redeem and get full value from?  Please no ...  If I wanted these, I would have an AMEX AF charge card.  Those narrow credits that are not organic spend for me anyway are reasons I shy away from those cards. 

@Anonymous wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

Exactly. Those are gimmicky. The beauty of the CSR for me was how you didn't have to gimmick anything: you get a flat rate travel credit. Points are worth a pretty set amount. Categories are clearly defined and broad for points. It's clear, simple and didn't require much to think about. 

Compare to my AMEX gold, which I am debating closing: most of the value comes from random statement credits and restrictive airline spend that doesn't even properly post sometimes. Not nearly as intuitive and, in my specific case, not that useful (even with a Shake shack near my office)

+1  Spot on.  Flexibility.  Simplicity.  If you want to redeem for cash or UR's, you know you're getting exactly 1ccp or 1.5ccp.  And it you want even more value, you have the option of transferring to partners if that's your gig.  And very broadly-defined travel credits that have been extremely simple for me to get back in full both years I've had the card.   All without having to think about it or alter my behavior, as long as I just remember to use the CSR for travel charges.  AMEX needs to learn a lesson here instead of playing games with its' cardholders.  Hopefully, Chase won't make these sorts of changes.  

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$850K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Aug 2023)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 46 of 323
Remedios
Credit Mentor

In fairness, I dont really think all of it is "playing games" 

Amex is best when used as prescribed, no more no less. Unless we're talking about core cards, they require certain level of dedication to the cause. 

I'm a simpleton, so not for me. I value convenience in life more than anything else, but I also end up paying for it. 

Neither CSR or Chicken Card are cash back cards. It's to be expected that maximizing benefits of both will require some finesse and creativity. Sadly, I posses neither. 

But yeah, there are times when I feel you have to stand on left foot, while blinking with right eye, pinching both nostrils  while whistling to Rocky theme song if you want to get something out of Amex. 

Message 47 of 323
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

The games I refer to include travel credits (but only for rideshares or airfare incidentals and only for one preselected airline of record); restaurant credits (but only for certain restaurants or food delivery services); credits applied monthly instead of annually making it more unlikely to get full redemption.   So to me, offering credits with huge restrictions is akin to game-playing.  

Amex ...  require(s) certain level of dedication to the cause.   I'm a simpleton, so not for me.

Agreed, AMEX charge cards are best when MR points are transferred.  UR points are as complicated as you want to make them, but they can be redeemed for better cash value.

Neither CSR or Chicken Card are cash back cards.

Actually CSR UR points can be redeemed as cash-back at a straight-forward 1 ccp vs 0.6 ccp for MR points.  Not their best use but not bad.  You would still get 3% cash-back on travel and dining, albeit with a $450 AF offset by $300 travel credit and lesser offsets and travel protections.  (That 3% is matched on other cards like my CITI Costco or AMEX Propel but without the other benefits on CSR.)  And 1% on everything else, which is lackluster.  But at its' core, it can be used as a cashback card.  That's just not the intention.  Smiley Tongue  But to me, it's attractive that is an option if I were to choose it. 

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$850K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Aug 2023)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 48 of 323
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd pay $750 for the AF, if they'd just send me a dang offer.

Message 49 of 323
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Aim_High wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

The games I refer to include travel credits (but only for rideshares or airfare incidentals and only for one preselected airline of record); restaurant credits (but only for certain restaurants or food delivery services); credits applied monthly instead of annually making it more unlikely to get full redemption.   So to me, offering credits with huge restrictions is akin to game-playing.  

Amex ...  require(s) certain level of dedication to the cause.   I'm a simpleton, so not for me.

Agreed, AMEX charge cards are best when MR points are transferred.  UR points are as complicated as you want to make them, but they can be redeemed for better cash value.

Neither CSR or Chicken Card are cash back cards.

Actually CSR UR points can be redeemed as cash-back at a straight-forward 1 ccp vs 0.6 ccp for MR points.  Not their best use but not bad.  You would still get 3% cash-back on travel and dining, albeit with a $450 AF offset by $300 travel credit and lesser offsets and travel protections.  (That 3% is matched on other cards like my CITI Costco or AMEX Propel but without the other benefits on CSR.)  And 1% on everything else, which is lackluster.  But at its' core, it can be used as a cashback card.  That's just not the intention.  Smiley Tongue  But to me, it's attractive that is an option if I were to choose it. 

I dunno. CSR is as much of cashback card as Disco Miles is travel card..

Message 50 of 323
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.