Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RUMOR: Chase to increase Travel portal multipler

tag
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

RUMOR: Chase to increase Travel portal multipler

It's been reported in an Award Travel group on FB that I currently belong to that Chase will be increasing the Travel Portal multipler.

This is just a rumor at this point but I thought I would share.

CSP will increase to 1.5x

CSR will increase to 1.75x

I can see some believability to this as other top tier travel cards have been upping the amount of points earned on a transaction.

Honestly think its a cheap move on Chase's part as it doesn't help you earn more points and thus doesnt waterdown the value of points for transferring.

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Noctilum
Frequent Contributor

Re: RUMOR: Chase to increase Travel portal multipler

I can see this happening... at the expense of being able to pool UR points from other cards or perhaps the value of UR points going down.  I just can't imagine us getting this without losing something else.  

Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Maybe the annual fee will be going up? Chase wouldn't increase something like that without taking something away.
Message 3 of 14
BH1985
Regular Contributor

Didn’t Chase recently cut some non-reward benefits from all of their cards? Perhaps that is how this rumored multiplier increase is financed.
Message 4 of 14
NRB525
Super Contributor

This would be an interesting improvement. There is quite intense competition between Chase and AMEX and this little boost would be a way to enhance UR point value, if someone did not have much interest in many of the UR transfer partners.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 5 of 14
jdbkiang
Established Contributor

Hey, I’m part of the same group!

It would make the CFU closer in value to the BBP, almost.

[2/2019]
Message 6 of 14
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@jdbkiang wrote:

It would hurt the popularity of BofA Travel Rewards. 2.625%+ with a little extra hassle would beat a fixed 2.625% st the Platinum Honors tier.

That said, on the few occasions I explored it years ago, book-through-Chase travel pricing was not always on par with competitors.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 7 of 14
redpat
Senior Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

@jdbkiang wrote:

It would hurt the popularity of BofA Travel Rewards. 2.625%+ with a little extra hassle would beat a fixed 2.625% st the Platinum Honors tier.

That said, on the few occasions I explored it years ago, book-through-Chase travel pricing was not always on par with competitors.

Since their change to Expedia I found pricing similar or some lower than others.  Great to use on flights and still get miles and have them count towards status.  I book FC domestic fares and pay the coach fare. Also, if I’m not staying at a Hilton I’ll book a suit and pay standard room rate for some very nice hotel stays.  Omni has counted these bookings towards their award program.

This would be great news to get an extra .25 basis point.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I plan to PC to CSR in June. It would be great if multiplier is higher.

However, if I can't pool points, or AF makes math fail, i will just cancel it and just use my propel, or move to prestige.
Message 9 of 14
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Maybe the annual fee will be going up? Chase wouldn't increase something like that without taking something away.

You can count on the annual fee going up now that both Amex Platinum and Citi Prestige have higher fees than the CSR.  When the CSR was first launched, all three cards were at $450.  I'm sure Chase wants to raise the fee, or reduce the travel credit, without annoying the cardholders.  I see the redemption rate at the portal being a way to do it.  Of course, most hard-core points-and-miles users don't use the Chase portal because they can get better redemptions through the transfer partners -- unless Chase devalues the transfer rates.

I think the real problem is that the CSP has become just a junior version of the CSR.  Some people who choke on the $450 CSR fee are willing to pay the $95 CSP fee, but a quick calculation of earnings on the two cards shows that you come out ahead on the CSR even at lower spending levels.  The CSP is obsolete and compares poorly to the Amex Gold.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.