cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rakuten Cash Back Visa Spend Offer (Targeted?)

tag
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Rakuten Cash Back Visa Spend Offer (Targeted?)

Screen Shot 2020-09-01 at 10.22.38 AM.pngEarn $50 in statement credit when you spend $750 or more with your Rakuten Cash Back Visa credit card. 

Not too much time to complete it since it's only for the month of September, but this works out to an extra 6.666% back on top of the regular earnings, which are already fairly substantial.  Too bad it's a $50 statement credit; since I elected to earn Amex Membership Rewards instead of cash back, 5000 MRs would be worth a minimum $77, or an additional 10.2666% back!

I am assuming this may be targeted since the fine print in the email says, "This promotion is only available to the recipient of this email. Promotion is not transferable."

Not confident I'll spend $750 this month on the card through the Rakuten shopping portal, but at nearly 8.21% back (1 MR + the effective 6.666% on $750 spend), I can certainly be persuaded to throw some non-category spend on the card this month!  Easy $50.

Anyone else with the card get this offer today?

Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Rakuten Cash Back Visa Spend Offer (Targeted?)

I got the same offer except it was $50 for $250 spend. 

image.png

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 2 of 28
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Smiley SurprisedSmiley MadSmiley IndifferentSmiley Frustrated

Message 3 of 28
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

Where do ya'll be shopping that you are getting these 'exclusive' emails with Card offers us Common folks haven't heard of XD       Isn't Rakuten that money machine?!     or was it just promoting the site or new Bank?!

Message 4 of 28
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Ebates renamed itself as Rakuten.    The portal is useful in its own right but the card (Synchony-issued Visa) makes it even sweeter.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 5 of 28
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@coldfusion wrote:

Ebates renamed itself as Rakuten.    The portal is useful in its own right but the card (Synchony-issued Visa) makes it even sweeter.

ebates was acquired by Rakuten in 2014, and a mere 5 years later adopted the name!

Message 6 of 28
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@coldfusion wrote:

+1  The card is great because it earns an extra 3% back on top of existing cash back for purchases made through the Rakuten shopping portal (i.e. if Macy's is 10% back today, you get 13% cash back on your purchase if you pay with this card) and 1% back on everything else.  In February 2019, eBates (soon to be renamed Rakuten) gave the option to earn Amex Membership Rewards instead of cash back (i.e. instead of $10.00 cash back you earn 1000 points) so for those of us that value those points at more than 1 cent, we are earning more than the percent back stated for the card and the shopping portal (in the aforementioned Macy's example my net would be just above 20% back in points rather than the 13% cash back).

Message 7 of 28
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

That's cause you're a high roller, @K-in-Boston! 😃

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 8 of 28
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

It's interesting even the font used is different between the two offers. 🤔

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 9 of 28
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Adkins wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

That's cause you're a high roller, @K-in-Boston! 😃

But I need to roll those dollars on Delta SkyMiles Platinum Business.  Too many targeted spend offers and only so much spend.

Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.