Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re-building credit...credit cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re-building credit...credit cards

Hello All,

I just got approves for a Capitol One unsecured card with a $500 CL. My Equafax was 593, two days after being approved it jumped to 600 which confused me. I assumed my fico would take a hit for the hard inquiry.

Any how, my question is how long should I wait to try to get another cc/store card? I'd like to have atleast two lines of credit to expidite my recovery. I've read that Target is pretty easy, should I wait? or apply now?

Thank! 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
SpeedingWheels
Contributor

Re: Re-building credit...credit cards

You can *try* for ONE GE card such as Amazon, Walmart, Sam's Club etc but you are likely to be declined. 

Personally *if* I were to take that chance I would go Walmart for the monthly FICO score. 

Beyond that, wait 6 months and then go for it. 

Walmart Discover ($5000) - Amazon ($5500) - Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2000) - Meijer ($5000) - Discover More ($1800) - Car Care One ($2100) - Amex Delta Skymiles ($2000) - Citi Thank You Preferred ($2000) - Chase Freedom ($500) - Sam's Club, GE ($1237?)
Message 2 of 7
distantarray
Established Contributor

@SpeedingWheels wrote:

You can *try* for ONE GE card such as Amazon, Walmart, Sam's Club etc but you are likely to be declined. 

Personally *if* I were to take that chance I would go Walmart for the monthly FICO score. 

Beyond that, wait 6 months and then go for it. 

Depends if that's his actual FICO score or not, but I doubt GECRB would take him at this point, but chances are he only pulled a FAKO not a FICO, and if his Fico is above 600 then he could apply for more.

Regardless at this point try to find someone nice enough to add you as an Authorized user to a good account, this way you'll get approved for that walmart card for sure.

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the quick replies. The 600 is from "myFICO" is that accurate? Would I have a better chance with a Target card at this point?

Message 4 of 7
SpeedingWheels
Contributor

GE is probably your best bet but honestly you'll get a very small limit card. 

Either do 1 app like I said before or just wait the 6 months for your account to age and your scores to grow.  You'll get a MUCH better card if you wait. 

Walmart Discover ($5000) - Amazon ($5500) - Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2000) - Meijer ($5000) - Discover More ($1800) - Car Care One ($2100) - Amex Delta Skymiles ($2000) - Citi Thank You Preferred ($2000) - Chase Freedom ($500) - Sam's Club, GE ($1237?)
Message 5 of 7
distantarray
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the quick replies. The 600 is from "myFICO" is that accurate? Would I have a better chance with a Target card at this point?

Depends if you got EQ or TU

EQ is Fico04 and it's pretty accurate, TU is 98 which is iffy at best since Barclay is pretty much the only ones that use it. Even the Walmart score is TU08 and your really looking for TU04 which no one sells.

and No don't get Target is harder than Walmart.

If your serious about rebuilding your credit do yourself a favor and get a good solid SECURED card which will grow with you. DCU.org comes to top of the list because they give you a FREE monthly Fico04 score plus their cards graduate meaning you get your deposit back after a year and you get to keep your card. The Capital One card with you will never grow with you, once your credit grows 99% of people can never get a product change, they just have to apply for another product and close your card out. Which is pretty dumb imo.....

Also good side note is you should ALWAYS have atleast two bank accounts. Bank of America when overdraft protection was new, my debit card got stolen, and because of overdraft protection the idiots allowed a guy to steal my checking AND my savings in one go. I had to explain to creditors that it wasn't my fault my account was stolen etc. They told me I was irresponsible for keeping everything in one account blah blah so I learned my lesson, now I have 5 LOL 6 but got rid BOA yesterday.

Although to be fair DCU = free fico   + Military banking USAA and Navy Federal are pretty much a must. Besides that local credit union that gave me my first secured card, and Chase for credit card benefits (and they're known go Goodwill remove bad things if I ever screw up)

Regardless you got it already, but get a couple secured cards under your belt, and DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOT get subprime cards, Capital One is OK cause no one will avoid you, but if you get cards like First Premier people will avoid you in the future like Amex and Chase do NOT want customers with that kind of history cause they get to see how bad your credit was just until recently. This is why Secured credit cards are the way to go right now. It also shows lenders if you go the secured route that you are not living paycheck to paycheck and actually was able to save additional funds to open up a line of secured credit.   People who get First Premier tend to be living paycheck to paycheck with NO funds.

Also don't be afraid of Secured cards, I had 2 last year, my scores went upto 754 with nothing bad on my reports in 1 year. I have just about all the Prime cards I want minus the US Bank Cash+ but only because I don't want to app because they're inquiry sensitive.

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks again for all the good info, this fourm is great!  

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.