Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Real Benefit of Visa Signature

tag
kshurika
Frequent Contributor

Real Benefit of Visa Signature

Just got an email from Chase that my CFU is being upgraded to Visa signature. My CSP is already VS. In the past, I've gone to the Visa website to learn what the actual benefit is of having a Signature card. The benefits listed there seem to be those I already have on other cards. I just looked again and the results seem to be the same. However, they do recommend consulting the card issuer to see what special benefits of its own they might attach. So, I thought I'd throw it out to all of you here. I know that the VS is considered a significant upgrade, but I can't tell what the real, actual benefits are.

Your views?
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Real Benefit of Visa Signature

Imo, most folks want VS for status because the majority of VS CL are 5K and above. 

Also imo, a high percentage of people “myself included” do not use the “perks” that comes with VS. 

Message 2 of 18
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Threads about wanting or getting VS vastly outnumber threads about ever actually using the benefits.

Some cards do have really great benefits...but they tend to come from the issuer, and often require an annual fee.

One benefit is to the banks. It allows them to charge merchants higher fees.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 3 of 18
kshurika
Frequent Contributor

Ahhhhhhhhh, it's all becoming clear now. VS isn't some magic mirror taking you into a world of wonderment beyond your wildest dreams. It's a marketing ploy and a status symbol.

Typical

Message 4 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I’ve used the visa signature benefit exactly one time, and this is what happened.
Friend: “Why does your card say Visa Signature and mine doesn’t?”
Me: “Because I’m cooler than you.”
Friend: “Oh.”
Haha
It was also the first time I realized that it said Visa Signature on it.
Message 5 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

There are actually quite a few benefits that you don’t get with Visa Classic/Traditional that you get with Visa Signature

https://wallethub.com/edu/visa-vs-visa-signature/52562/

Message 6 of 18
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

There are actually quite a few benefits that you don’t get with Visa Classic/Traditional that you get with Visa Signature

Right, you do get benefits, but the benefits overall are seldom used. I see a lot more threads talking about VS upgrades compared to threads about actually using a benefit.

In general more marketing and "status" than anything.

Message 7 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Right, you do get benefits, but the benefits overall are seldom used. I see a lot more threads talking about VS upgrades compared to threads about actually using a benefit.

In general more marketing and "status" than anything.

Well the benefits are there, people don’t use them, that’s not the fault of Visa. Some of them could be handy. The warranty manager concierge service for managing your extended warranties could be beneficial for one as could the lost ticket replacement and a few others on the list if you travel. 

But the best ones like purchase protection are limited to Infinite cards... and those annual fees are no joke. 

Message 8 of 18
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I’ve used the visa signature benefit exactly one time, and this is what happened.
Friend: “Why does your card say Visa Signature and mine doesn’t?”
Me: “Because I’m cooler than you.”
Friend: “Oh.”
Haha
It was also the first time I realized that it said Visa Signature on it.

But as a DP, ARE you cooler than your friend?

Message 9 of 18
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@kshurika wrote:
Just got an email from Chase that my CFU is being upgraded to Visa signature. My CSP is already VS. In the past, I've gone to the Visa website to learn what the actual benefit is of having a Signature card. The benefits listed there seem to be those I already have on other cards. I just looked again and the results seem to be the same. However, they do recommend consulting the card issuer to see what special benefits of its own they might attach. So, I thought I'd throw it out to all of you here. I know that the VS is considered a significant upgrade, but I can't tell what the real, actual benefits are.

Your views?

I turned to this thread because I thought "ah finally someone is going to tell me that there is an actual benefit to having a Visa Signature card"

But I guess my quest continues

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.