Real Benefit of Visa Signature

tag
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: Real Benefit of Visa Signature

@Anonymous wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

There are actually quite a few benefits that you don’t get with Visa Classic/Traditional that you get with Visa Signature

https://wallethub.com/edu/visa-vs-visa-signature/52562/

Right, you do get benefits, but the benefits overall are seldom used. I see a lot more threads talking about VS upgrades compared to threads about actually using a benefit.

In general more marketing and "status" than anything.

Well the benefits are there, people don’t use them, that’s not the fault of Visa. Some of them could be handy. The warranty manager concierge service for managing your extended warranties could be beneficial for one as could the lost ticket replacement and a few others on the list if you travel. 

But the best ones like purchase protection are limited to Infinite cards... and those annual fees are no joke. 

Many of the benefits are travel related, and while I hope I never have to use emergency translation or exacuation services, having them available is nice. Many of these are comparable to AMEX travel services, or MasterCard World and World Elite.

The trick is, remembering which card you used for which part of a travel plan, and which service to call. There also are subtle differences between banks as to the specific benefits. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 11 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NRB525 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

There are actually quite a few benefits that you don’t get with Visa Classic/Traditional that you get with Visa Signature

Right, you do get benefits, but the benefits overall are seldom used. I see a lot more threads talking about VS upgrades compared to threads about actually using a benefit.

Well the benefits are there, people don’t use them, that’s not the fault of Visa. Some of them could be handy. The warranty manager concierge service for managing your extended warranties could be beneficial for one as could the lost ticket replacement and a few others on the list if you travel. 

But the best ones like purchase protection are limited to Infinite cards... and those annual fees are no joke. 

Many of the benefits are travel related, and while I hope I never have to use emergency translation or exacuation services, having them available is nice. Many of these are comparable to AMEX travel services, or MasterCard World and World Elite.

The trick is, remembering which card you used for which part of a travel plan, and which service to call. There also are subtle differences between banks as to the specific benefits. 

Yeah the WMC actually puts Visa Siggy to shame. As much as I dislike my SSFCU Power Cash Rewards for its $25 redemption increments (so I have to put ~$1700 on to get $25, ~$3400 to get $50, etc) and the way they insist on hard pulls to do anything from reduce interest to evaluate for CLIs, I would heavily consider using it next time I buy a TV because it not only has 120 day price protection, it has 90 day purchase protection up to $1K and doubles the warranty up to 24 months as standard WMC benefits. 

The Siggy is far less attractive for large purchases and quite literally the only reason I keep the SSFCU card is because of the WMC benefits for large purchases. 

Message 12 of 18
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yeah the WMC actually puts Visa Siggy to shame. As much as I dislike my SSFCU Power Cash Rewards for its $25 redemption increments (so I have to put ~$1700 on to get $25, ~$3400 to get $50, etc) and the way they insist on hard pulls to do anything from reduce interest to evaluate for CLIs, I would heavily consider using it next time I buy a TV because it not only has 120 day price protection, it has 90 day purchase protection up to $1K and doubles the warranty up to 24 months as standard WMC benefits. 

The Siggy is far less attractive for large purchases and quite literally the only reason I keep the SSFCU card is because of the WMC benefits for large purchases. 

I can't say I've ever had a reason use any of purchase protection type benefits anyway, but it's something to keep in mind for larger purchases.

Message 13 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I can't say I've ever had a reason use any of purchase protection type benefits anyway, but it's something to keep in mind for larger purchases.

The price protection can come in handy when you buy a TV on Black Friday and the price drops another $100+ around Christmas for example. 

The extended warranty... well they don’t make things like they used to these days so it’s a nice to have. 

Message 14 of 18
imaximous
Valued Contributor

This topic comes up pretty often and the reality is NOT that VS has no real benefits or that it's a marketing tactic. Card/lender dependant, the benefits are there. Whether someone finds them useful or not is a different story. 

I have used Trip Cancelation and Trip Delay insurance. It's not something I was looking forward to, but it was there because the card offered the benefit as a VS at no cost.

Another example, I also have the BofA Alaska card. The card's most attractive feature is the Annual Companion Fare. However, for many years, BofA only offered this benefit and the SUB to people who got approved for the VS version. If you got the Platinum card, you received peanuts for a SUB and NO Companion Fare. This policy changed in the past few months, but it was real for years. I fought to get mine converted by moving limits from a different card to get the VS version, and it was well worth it.

Please stop telling people the benefits aren't worth it simply because they don't benefit or work for you. It does make a difference with some cards, but it's a matter of reading the material that comes with each version of the card.

Message 15 of 18
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Sorry, VS will always remind of Victoria's Secret, and truth be told, I've yet to discover itSmiley Wink
Message 16 of 18
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@imaximous wrote:

This topic comes up pretty often and the reality is NOT that VS has no real benefits or that it's a marketing tactic. Card/lender dependant, the benefits are there. Whether someone finds them useful or not is a different story. 

I have used Trip Cancelation and Trip Delay insurance. It's not something I was looking forward to, but it was there because the card offered the benefit as a VS at no cost.

Another example, I also have the BofA Alaska card. The card's most attractive feature is the Annual Companion Fare. However, for many years, BofA only offered this benefit and the SUB to people who got approved for the VS version. If you got the Platinum card, you received peanuts for a SUB and NO Companion Fare. This policy changed in the past few months, but it was real for years. I fought to get mine converted by moving limits from a different card to get the VS version, and it was well worth it.

Please stop telling people the benefits aren't worth it simply because they don't benefit or work for you. It does make a difference with some cards, but it's a matter of reading the material that comes with each version of the card.

As one of the guilty ones (including in a very recent thread), I agree that for some that is true.   But my reaction is more from those posts where people are seeking VS (or WMC) "just because"  (it's something that in theory they could get and so....) without knowing the real benefits, if they will use them etc.   And even for travel, you have to use that particular card to be eligible for those benefits, and people may well have reason to use another one.

Message 17 of 18
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

I have four Visa Signature cards.  I make two international trips and five or six domestic trips a year.  I have never used a Visa Signature benefit.  The whole concept is silly, and utterly useless.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.