Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Really Barclays, REALLY???!!

tag
ficonightmare
Frequent Contributor

Really Barclays, REALLY???!!

So, I've had their B&N MC for years now. It was my first rebuilder card- and because they've always been good to me with increases, I've given the card plenty of use.

All that has changed now. 

Around April of this year they seem to be verifying every purchase I make over a few hundred $. They won't approve anything until I call in to their automated system and verify it's not fraud. This has caused nothing but nightmares for online purchases and a huge headache when I'm shopping normally.

I'm not charging anything "new". This is not outside of my "normal spending pattern". I pay all my bills on time and I'm never near my limit. There's no reason at all for this. But it doesn't matter, for whatever reason my  8 out of 10 purchases get flagged for fraud.  

It's become so bad I won't even attempt to use them.  

When I called to get this stopped (numerous times) I find out  how horrible their CS really is. They keep saying they can't do anything. They won't even connect me to a manager. Everytime they try, I get disconneted. Ironic huh..

All this experience has taught me is how important good Customer Service really is. Barclays has failed miserably in this situation and I now forever dub them "subprime crap"!

Anyway, I'm done with them.. thanks for letting me vent Smiley Sad

Starting Score: 600s
Current Score: EQ 08 798 on 5/28/14, TU 792 on 5/27/4 via Barclay, EX 798 on 5/28/14
Goal Score: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
tcbofade
Super Contributor

Re: Really Barclays, REALLY???!!

Ouch.  Sorry that you've had that experience.  I wonder what caused it?

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 2 of 13
Mike360
Frequent Contributor

Barclays is right up there with Capital One in regards to being one of the worst customer service. I had to make 4 phone calls to get the right NFL team on my Extra Points card because the automated system gave me the wrong team. 

Message 3 of 13
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Ive began noticing this too. Sure I got a $6500cl on recon for the Trav Amex, and the Credit Analyst was genuinely nice. The CSRs however are some of the most uninformed out there. Every time I call to inquire about a cli, they say diff things every time. Ughhh lame
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 4 of 13
LS2982
Mega Contributor

I'm hoping my experience with Barclays stays positive, they have been very good to me.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 5 of 13
ficonightmare
Frequent Contributor

tcbofade- That's the thing, nothing I've done could have caused this.

Who knows, maybe they developed a new algorithm and it flagged my account.

Whatever it is, people should know what Barclays does.

Use their cards at your own risk. 

Current Score: EQ 08 798 on 5/28/14, TU 792 on 5/27/4 via Barclay, EX 798 on 5/28/14

Message 6 of 13
distantarray
Established Contributor

@Mike360 wrote:

Barclays is right up there with Capital One in regards to being one of the worst customer service. I had to make 4 phone calls to get the right NFL team on my Extra Points card because the automated system gave me the wrong team. 

maybe they thought your team sucked Smiley Wink

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 7 of 13
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

If the scores in your signature are correct, time to choose the card company you want and AP, should get a decent limit and decent APR and excellent rewards. Kick barclays to the curb or just put it in your sock drawer, no reason to put up with crappy service when your scores are 800+. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 8 of 13
ficonightmare
Frequent Contributor

@jamesdwi wrote:

If the scores in your signature are correct, time to choose the card company you want and AP, should get a decent limit and decent APR and excellent rewards. Kick barclays to the curb or just put it in your sock drawer, no reason to put up with crappy service when your scores are 800+. 

The scores are correct (between 785-810 depending on my UTIL on any given month). 

I do have better cards with better limits, but Barclays was always my "go to" card . and with a 7.5K CL, I was content with them. But you're right,  no need to put up with crappy service. 

buh-bye Barclays. Smiley Indifferent

Message 9 of 13
distantarray
Established Contributor

what card or reward kept you loyal to barclay? with your scoreI would've got a better card, unless there's a card  or benefit i'm not aware of in the barclay line up which is possible since I never even looked at those ccards cause it almost never gets discussed here.

also don't close the barclay account keep your oldest account alive, i would just keep buying only toillet paper with that card every few months to just to show them how you feel about their recent lack of customer service =)

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.