Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Really want a chase sapphire preferred

tag
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

Re: Really want a chase sapphire preferred

@gpfirestone wrote:

Honestly if you're only making $25k a year you have 0 chance of getting a CSP.  The minimum starting credit for that card is $5,000.  At that income level you maybe have $3,000 of disposable income a year assuming you're single and have no debt.  Just get the most basic rewards card out there and build your credit until your income is higher.  Credit card reward skills are really only needed for serious spenders.  Get some basic, possibly a low intro APR card.  For you I would personally recommend getting a Discover IT card.  Another one you may want to consider is the Chase Amazon Visa since it is easy to get and you can build a reputation with Chase in order to apply for the CSP down the road.

3,000 in disposable income a year?  where are you getting that number from?  when I was making 25k a year I was spending almost 12k a year on my debit card, I feel like with 25k a year income you're annual spend could be well over 10k a year especially if you're putting a lot of your utilities as well as other house hold spends on a credit card and you don't have a huge rent/housing/car payments 

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 11 of 30
gpfirestone
New Contributor

I guess I assumed they would be attempting to save some money...I forget some people like to spend every dime they earn.

:Capital One Spark Business $45k:::Chase Sapphire Preferred $30k:::Chase Amazon Visa $3k:::American Express BC $10k:::Chase Ink Plus $15k:::American Express Business Plum:::American Express Business Platinum::Citi Thank You Preferred $50k:::City Simplicity $10k:::REI Visa $10k::Capital One Quicksilver $15k:::American Express EveryDay $10k:::Wells Fargo Platinum Cash Back $10k:

FIA/BOA is the plague. AVOID THEM!
Message 12 of 30
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

I'll agree with the others and say you have 0 chance of being approved.

1. Your current score is too low. Realistically you should be around 700 for a good chance of approval. Yes there have been others who were slightly under, but they also don't have your negative history with Chase.

2. Your existing CLs are way too low.

3. Your income is way too low to even consider a card with an AF. This isn't just about the CSP but in general. You simply won't be able to spend enough (because you don't earn enough) to offset the AF. Rewards cards are tilted towards heavy spenders, some moreso than others. With an income of only 25k, you should look into a 0 AF cashback card.

Forget about whether or not you'll be approved. With an income that low, you simply won't be able to spend enough to get any value out of it.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 13 of 30
Butter41
Established Member

UPDATE:

I got a Chase Freedom a couple of months ago, but only a $500 limit. I also got a Discover card with $2000 limit. My income is now $40,000 (changed jobs).

I was going to continue to spend and pay off these cards and build a positive history. However, I was in the market for a new car and was able to get financed through Chase.

My question is, with the freedom card, the increase in income and now a high credit limit through Chase for the new car, am I better positioned for the CSP?

Message 14 of 30
Dustink
Valued Contributor

Give it a year or so and you will have a shot.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 15 of 30
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Congrats on your Freedom approval. The auto loan will not sway an approval in your favor be caused its secured. With the initial CL of only $500 I think that's an indicator of your odds for a CSP.

Keep using your cards wisely and in time you'll get a CSP.
Message 16 of 30
shane82388
Established Contributor

The CSP has a minumum credit limit of $5k?

Message 17 of 30
djc1puno
Valued Contributor

+1 lexie...congrats tho op!

GARDEN GOAL: MARCH 2014
LAST APP: 08/20/2013
---=[NORTHBOUND]=---
Message 18 of 30
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@shane82388 wrote:

yes

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 19 of 30
shane82388
Established Contributor

@Dustink wrote:

@shane82388 wrote:

yes

Ah never knew that. How about on the regular Chase Sapphire?

Message 20 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.