cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reasons to avoid Chase, BofA, Elan, Wells Fargo?

tag
Swatch
Frequent Contributor

Reasons to avoid Chase, BofA, Elan, Wells Fargo?

Talk me out of wanting credit cards with Chase, BofA, Elan, or Wells Fargo? Or should I ignore negative posts about these banks since it's a small percentage? (I haven't searched for negative comments on Elan.) I have not been too happy with Chase in terms of checking/etc, but they (and the other two) have some good rewards/signup offers especially BofA and Elan. I am trying to avoid banks which are going to annoy me with their customer service, being stingy, asking me jump through hoops, etc but I am also trying to get rewards/cashback, offers, etc. (I've gotten used to the great service with AMEX and Discover and certain newer or smaller banks.)

I do AZEO.
Message 1 of 36
35 REPLIES 35
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Reasons to avoid Chase, BofA, Elan, Wells Fargo?

@Swatch wrote:

Talk me out of wanting credit cards with Chase, BofA, Elan, or Wells Fargo? Or should I ignore negative posts about these banks since it's a small percentage? (I haven't searched for negative comments on Elan.) I have not been too happy with Chase in terms of checking/etc, but they (and the other two) have some good rewards/signup offers especially BofA and Elan. I am trying to avoid banks which are going to annoy me with their customer service, being stingy, asking me jump through hoops, etc but I am also trying to get rewards/cashback, offers, etc. (I've gotten used to the great service with AMEX and Discover and certain newer or smaller banks.)

I think Chase is fine, and its customer service is fine.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 2 of 36
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Swatch wrote:

Well, that can be any financial institution, really. There will be plenty of negative comments with the 4 you mentioned as well as positive experiences. Personally, I've not encountered any major issues with any of those 4, but other folks have had not-so-pleasant experiences. And, the fact is, not every insitution will work for everyone. The same can be said about Discover, AmEx, Capital One, Barclays, Citi, etc.

So, research the products that appeal to you, and if something is suitable for your needs, go for it.

Message 3 of 36
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Chase doesn't support eBills. That kind of irks me and is part of why I very rarely use the cards anymore.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 4 of 36
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

As @FinStar  says, nearly all institutions, including beloved CUs, will receive negative press here.

When evaluating comments on MyFico, remember that most people here are not typical customers, and evaluate how closely you resemble the background of the commenter.   By and large, people here differ from the norm by one or more of:

1) Being rebuilders.  Some portion find this forum when rebuilding, and, (hopefully!) fix their credit and stick around.    Banks will naturally look on these people with a little more suspicion, especially early on.   Complaints may focus on unfair denials, CLIs etc.  Non-rebuilders might get treated better.

2) Credit seeking.   Those always opening more cards and/or CLIs.   Complaints from this group might focus on lack of growth, "denied for no reason" or worse, "closed for no reason".    If your credit seeking is more like a "normal", banks may treat you better

3) Churners, MS, etc.   "Professionals" doing this don't complain when accounts are closed etc, it's part of the price/game, but people dabbling in it might get surprised when a bank gets concerned about you wanting too big a share of their profit!   Again, if you don't do this, banks may treat you well (but you will  be poorer, at least for a bit!)

That's not to say that there aren't useful comments that apply more widely, e.g. @wasCB14 comments about CHase and e-bills.  Such things may not be a real factor or could be a deal breaker.  (Or worse, seems OK now, and when you discover the wonder of e-billing,  seems a deal breaker but too late!)

Message 5 of 36
AwsiDooger
New Contributor

I'll never have anything to do with Wells Fargo. I detailed the reasons months ago. They kept badgering me to apply and then turned me down when I did. It is my only denial. But it wasn't an instant denial. They left me in pending for weeks while insisting I had to send some kind of financial statement. Okay. I sent a brokerage statement with high numbers. Dozens of times any number they would possibly assign as my limit, even though I didn't include either of the IRAs. Brokerage was listed among the accepted statements, in the letter they sent me. No matter. You're rejected. And  the hilarious aspect -- as I detailed here -- was that the phone suspervisor who denied me gave completely different reasoning than the rejection letter I later received from Wells Fargo. 

I could only conclude they have no idea what they are doing. It's also not a trustworthy company. I asked them repeatedly to send back the copy of the brokerage statement. They agreed to do so but never did. I asked them to stop sending me mailers regarding Wells Fargo credit cards, since they obviously won't accept me if I do apply. They put me on hold several times until finally insisting that my name had been removed from their system and I'll never receive anything again. That was a lie. I stopped receiving the mailers only for a few months. Now they come in droves, including one last week.

Message 6 of 36
Gollum
Established Contributor

@Swatch wrote:

Chase, BofA, and Wells Fargo are all in the top 10 banks in the USA; some/many classify large banks like that "too big to fail."

I don't agree with the idea of "too big to fail."

Instead of credit cards from banks that are "too big to fail," I recommend credit cards from credit unions. Credit unions are owned by their members, so credit unions do not have pressure (from shareholders of big banks) to provide profits/dividends to shareholders.

Elan is apparently owned by USBank but I don't know much about it other than a recent Internet search.

Credit Scores: (FICO 8) 846 Experian April 2024, 844 TransUnion April 2024 | (FICO 9) 849 Equifax April 2024
Credit Cards (newest to oldest): NFCU VISA Platinum $25,000 | BECU Cash Back VISA $10,000 | American Express BCE $9000 | Simmons Bank VISA $7500 | Capital One Quicksilver VISA Platinum (PC/upgrade from No Hassle Miles Rewards VISA Platinum) $500
Message 7 of 36
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Gollum wrote:

@Swatch wrote:

Chase, BofA, and Wells Fargo are all in the top 10 banks in the USA; some/many classify large banks like that "too big to fail."

I don't agree with the idea of "too big to fail."

Instead of credit cards from banks that are "too big to fail," I recommend credit cards from credit unions. Credit unions are owned by their members, so credit unions do not have pressure (from shareholders of big banks) to provide profits/dividends to shareholders.

Elan is apparently owned by USBank but I don't know much about it other than a recent Internet search.

If your signature is current, Capital One is "too big to fail" bank, and American Express carries "domestic systematically important bank" designator which is basically the same thing. 

Expressed as percentage, 40% of your accounts fall into category you cannot support. 

Message 8 of 36
SUPERSQUID
Valued Contributor

That cap 1 card in your siggy is a midget among giants, lol

{ BK7 DC 12/2019 } target 1600/ kohls Visa 7000/ discover IT cb 6500 / 2nd discover IT cb 6000/mercury 4100 / firestone 2800 /legacy 3000 /first savings bank cc 3000/ cap1 QS 5000/ cap 1 savor one 3100 /Bread rewards Amex 4k, Penfed PCR signature visa 10k/ penfed gold 7.5k NFCU >signature visa cash rewards 21700/bread cashback amex 8000

>/ nfcu platinum 15k, BABY NEEDS NEW SHOES !!!!!
closed-- reflex, applied bank, first digital, mission lane, ikea, fingerhut, big lots, valero gasoline, ollo, more to come
Rebuilding since September 2020
who i burned - chase, cap 1, TD bank, Sync, were the biggies
Income 40k
Total utilization around 20 pct depending on my current usage/needs
Ficos in the 680 - 690 range, the 9's slightly higher than the 8's
My vantage scores 708 - 711
TCL - about 110k
Retired since 2017
Message 9 of 36
SUPERSQUID
Valued Contributor

@Swatch wrote:

One of the big banks you left out was citi. Years ago i had issues with citi regarding banking issues and moved my accounts elsewhere. then years after that i had 2 credit cards with them which they balance chased just because i took a cah advance and i was nowhere near the cl of the card but i only wished to make a cash private purchase of an item, this was around 2008. i promptly paid off both cards and closed them. before my bk7 in 2019 i thought cap 1 stunk because of the usual stingy cli's but this time around they have been pretty good so no gripes.

{ BK7 DC 12/2019 } target 1600/ kohls Visa 7000/ discover IT cb 6500 / 2nd discover IT cb 6000/mercury 4100 / firestone 2800 /legacy 3000 /first savings bank cc 3000/ cap1 QS 5000/ cap 1 savor one 3100 /Bread rewards Amex 4k, Penfed PCR signature visa 10k/ penfed gold 7.5k NFCU >signature visa cash rewards 21700/bread cashback amex 8000

>/ nfcu platinum 15k, BABY NEEDS NEW SHOES !!!!!
closed-- reflex, applied bank, first digital, mission lane, ikea, fingerhut, big lots, valero gasoline, ollo, more to come
Rebuilding since September 2020
who i burned - chase, cap 1, TD bank, Sync, were the biggies
Income 40k
Total utilization around 20 pct depending on my current usage/needs
Ficos in the 680 - 690 range, the 9's slightly higher than the 8's
My vantage scores 708 - 711
TCL - about 110k
Retired since 2017
Message 10 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.