cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reasons to avoid Chase, BofA, Elan, Wells Fargo?

tag
azpro
New Contributor

Re: Reasons to avoid Chase, BofA, Elan, Wells Fargo?

I recently opened Elan Co branded card at a Local bank. To my surprise, I got highest interest rate that I have ever been offered and the lowest credit limit in last 20 years of excellent credit history and income reporting. My Card got lost before it could be delivered and they wanted $10 to express ship a new one which is ok. Since the limit is so low that, I need make a payment first, which raises my available limit and then I can pay a large bill. I make payments to Elan thru my bank's bill pay and it show next day arrival always. First time I did overpay the card it was credited in 1-2 days. Second over payment was held for 5 Business days, while it left my account the next day. I called customer service and they said it takes upto 5 days to be credited. It actually cleared 6th day, which was/is very annoying. I don't have any other card that's so slow to process payments.

Message 31 of 36
Crowhelm
Established Contributor

@SoCalGardener wrote:

@Crowhelm wrote:

BOFA is horrible, had a very bad experience, and know 12 other people with bad experiences. Wells Fargo has nothing worthwhile to get from so why even mention them? Plus their scandal a few years back, yeah I would stay clear. Elan I have no idea, I like Elan Musk but that probably has little to do with it.

I doubt Elon Musk has anything to do with Elan bank--considering they're spelled differently. Smiley Happy

As for BofA being horrible--perhaps for you, and those 12 other people you know about, but not for me, or millions of others. As I've said, in my 31 years of experience with BofA, they've been nothing but exceptional in every way. Like everything in life, YMMV--or the OP's. Smiley Very Happy

Well, I do believe it has a lot to do with your local branch. So obviously you got a good one. So maybe base it on that. I just think more people should embrace credit unions instead of filling stock holders pockets with banks. There is a reason banks can't come close to interest rates credit unions offer, especially with credit cards. And AOD has all the big boys beat with their great 3% on everything card with an unheard of 7.49% interest rate. Not all credit unions, yes I know. Small banks can be great as well, got our 2.5% mortgage with a small local bank. Just shop around, there is zero advantage to put all your eggs in one basket just because that is what your parents did.  Let them work for your business. 

Message 32 of 36
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Back on topic please. This discussion is not about BK or the root causes that led to cross-collateralized assets. Keep it simple as the OP isn't asking about BK.

Message 33 of 36
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

@Crowhelm wrote:

@SoCalGardener wrote:

@Crowhelm wrote:

BOFA is horrible, had a very bad experience, and know 12 other people with bad experiences. Wells Fargo has nothing worthwhile to get from so why even mention them? Plus their scandal a few years back, yeah I would stay clear. Elan I have no idea, I like Elan Musk but that probably has little to do with it.

I doubt Elon Musk has anything to do with Elan bank--considering they're spelled differently. Smiley Happy

As for BofA being horrible--perhaps for you, and those 12 other people you know about, but not for me, or millions of others. As I've said, in my 31 years of experience with BofA, they've been nothing but exceptional in every way. Like everything in life, YMMV--or the OP's. Smiley Very Happy

Well, I do believe it has a lot to do with your local branch. So obviously you got a good one. So maybe base it on that. I just think more people should embrace credit unions instead of filling stock holders pockets with banks. There is a reason banks can't come close to interest rates credit unions offer, especially with credit cards. And AOD has all the big boys beat with their great 3% on everything card with an unheard of 7.49% interest rate. Not all credit unions, yes I know. Small banks can be great as well, got our 2.5% mortgage with a small local bank. Just shop around, there is zero advantage to put all your eggs in one basket just because that is what your parents did.  Let them work for your business. 

Until last summer, I hadn't set foot in the branch where I opened my BofA accounts in THIRTY YEARS! Smiley Surprised

I opened it while temporarily living in SoCal (I owned and actually lived in a house in Dallas, but I'm from SoCal and was here temporarily). After that initial visit to open the accounts, I used a branch on Wilshire Blvd in downtown LA all the time (near work), then went back to Dallas and used a branch near my house there. When I moved back home in 2006, I started out going to the BofA branch in Arcadia (where we live(d)) my mom used--and it was awful! I don't mean awful as in a horrible place or horrible treatment--it was just slooooooowwwwww.....  It was like its tellers had never heard of doing anything quickly. A task that should take 5 minutes inside would end up taking 45 minutes. It was so bad I decided to try different branches until I found a better one. There was one a little farther from my house, but we gave it a try one day--and that was that. It was as diametrically opposed to the other one as possible. The tellers were on top of their game, they were fast, efficient, courteous; the bankers were helpful and always answered my questions or helped me with various things; I moved my safe deposit box there, too.

Then the pandemic hit. It closed temporarily....

Last summer I was notified that my branch--my wonderful, perfect, exemplary branch--would be closing permanently. I had to make an appointment to go in and close my safe deposit box. Among its contents were US savings bonds I'd bought 20+ years ago, but since the bank wasn't actually open, they couldn't cash them. So I went to the branch in Pasadena where I'd opened my accounts in 1991. Wow....I didn't even recognize it. But, I guess after 30 years, that's not unexpected!

As for credit unions, I used a couple of them over the decades; I had no real complaints with them, but through trial-and-error settled on using BofA exclusively. I remember them having a more personal feel than some bank branches. The main thing I remember about the last CU was its yellow NSF notices that came in the mail. This was before I separated my banking from my husband's. I could *NOT* deal with bounced checks, just couldn't tolerate it, find it inexcusable, and wanted no part of it. FWIW, he wasn't doing anything bad or underhanded--just stupid! Example: he'd be out somewhere, write a check, and in the register he'd jot down the amount--no other information, no date, no check number, just the amount--and put it in the CREDIT column!!!! He just wasn't paying attention. Later, he'd go back and try to fill in the blanks, and balance the checkbook, and--of course--he ADDED instead of subtracted the amounts that were in the credit column....and, well, you can see where that led. *sigh*

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 34 of 36
azpro
New Contributor

We should 

@Crowhelm wrote:

@SoCalGardener wrote:

@Crowhelm wrote:

We should all move some funds to AOD. It help them to lend for sure. I need put that on my to do. AOD is the best.

Message 35 of 36
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

@Swatch 

As others have said you need to decide to stay with Chase or search for another bank or credit union that meets your needs. I will tell you up front I am biased towards Discover. I have had a credit and banking relationship with them for over 30 years. In my experience I have never had a problem with them. What I like about Discover bank debit card checking there is only one fee that is related to a wire transfer. Other banks have this long laundry list fees and list of how many hoops you have to jump through to avoid them. Discover's  interest rates on their savings accounts is better than many other big banks. I left US Bank becuase of their savings rate was /is  0.01. Anytime I had money to put into savings I would transfer it to Discover.  

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 36 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.