Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reasons to keep the Freedom Visa?

tag
PullingMeSoftly
Valued Contributor

Reasons to keep the Freedom Visa?

I'm considering product changing my CF Visa to a Flex, but just want to be sure there aren't any reasons to keep the Visa that I might be missing.

• Since i'm 15/24, a new account is out of the question, so a sub isn't a factor.
  • I won't be exceeding the $1500 quaterly cat spend, so I don't need multiple CF's.
  • Don't need 3% restaurants, covered by my Altitude Go and when Disco and Affinity FCU rotate for half a year
  • Don't really need 3% drugstores, Walgreens is covered by Apple
  • 5% on travel through Chase UR could be useful, I might need to stay a couple nights outside of the Hilton brand for an upcoming trip out of state.
  • Looking at historical category info on TPG, wholesale clubs were last offered Q4 2018, so there's no guarantee I may be able to use the Visa for Costco in the future, but that would be very useful if that category came back.
  • Don't really need the cell phone coverage of the WEMC, since I currently pay my bill with my AOD card for 3% and already have an insurance solution in place.

Any other reasons to keep the Visa?

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
blindambition
Senior Contributor

Re: Reasons to keep the Freedom Visa?

It will convert to MC, so looks like you lose the Offers section for that card.

MC benefits will be slightly different than Visa's, but most rarely use them anyways.

Message 2 of 18
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

It sounds like you won't benefit from the new features (covered by other cards), so I might be inclined to keep it.

• Since i'm 15/24, a new account is out of the question, so a sub isn't a factor.

So that's now, but later on, maybe when there is a major SUB on the CFF (and assuming the only one rule is really enforced) then you could app for it, whereas if you PC now you might not be able to.

Message 3 of 18
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

And I would also add that with your profile, it wouldn't be out of the question for you to eventually see a green checkmark or black star offer in your Chase account for the Flex that will overcome 5/24.

Message 4 of 18
fatcomic
Regular Contributor

I would leave it as the Freedom Visa.   

We spend more than we should on dining out and on our cell phone bill, I got the Verizon Visa for 3% on dining and 4% on gas with no AF.   I haven't been impressed with Synchony's app for the Verizon Card and their daily/weekly CB balance reporting (It hasn't happened in the past few weeks, so hopefully they have stopped that). When Chase announced they FU and FF would have 3% dining it worked for me.  

I have a FU that has a lower limit, my 16yo DD is an AU and she mainly uses it.   I did a PC from my Freedom Visa to the Freedom Flex to take  the dining from the Verizon Visa since I have some remorse on that card, otherwise I would have left mine as a Freedom Visa.   

Message 5 of 18
dragontears
Senior Contributor

I hear the MC is not available in contactless yet so that might be important to some.

Personally, I am not going to switch anytime soon as I don't need the new categories (I also have the unlimited so get the same benefits already) and I am lazy (main reason)

Message 6 of 18
SecretAzure
Valued Contributor

I'm keeping the Visa! I'm a Sapphire hopeful and in case I couldn't swing the AF after the first year, it'd be good to have the Flex available to PC to. 

Reasons to keep Visa:

• An extra PC option from an AF card
  • Tap-to-pay
  • Costco usage
  • Constant special offers through the portal
  • I hear the design is similar on Flex but nicer with the Visa?
  • Don't have to upgrade your details everywhere Smiley Very Happy
"Show your thanks with action! Hit the "Kudos" button (the stripe with the star) for every post you find helpful to show your appreciation to the community of great individuals who help you on these forums" -Me

Active Cards: Chevron Texaco, Amex BCE, Barclays Ring, Chase Freedom, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Best Buy Visa, Marvel MCMust garden until 2/1/2022 to hit my goal AAOA. Smiley Indifferent
Message 7 of 18
PullingMeSoftly
Valued Contributor

Thanks all for the helpful feedback! Definitely better to keep possible future PC and sub options open...the Visa will stay in the stable. 

Makes me wonder if, by moving to a WEMC, Chase might bring back the wholesale club category, knowing Costco will no longer be a possibility for some.

Message 8 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

good thread...i'm kind of pondering the same situation myself on what to do with my freedom.

Message 9 of 18
TSlop
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

good thread...i'm kind of pondering the same situation myself on what to do with my freedom.

I'm still debating to either PC or wait until an offer or when I'm 4/24 in April. I don't have a personal MC, so I'd like that cell phone coverage, since I might buy a Pixel 5 after it is announced next week.

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.