Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reasons to keep the Freedom Visa?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Reasons to keep the Freedom Visa?

I PC'd mine. For me specifically, no real advantage since I have the CFU and other cards with 3%+ dining. Drug stores, 5% portal travel, etc. are covered by my CFU. 

To me, it's more about keeping up with the latest card, because it feels like the CF which will stay out there a while like the Oldsmobile did, is now obsolete. 

Message 11 of 18
Citylights18
Valued Contributor

One of the better arguments for doing the PC is if you put bills & utilities dining onto the same card it tends to run up the balance.

Let's say bills and the occasional non category purchase go on CFU along with the 5% Lyft rides. Then CFF takes the dining and the 5% bonus categories. That seems like a reasonable balance between the too cards.

I think otherwise you lose opportunity cost by not getting the SUB and the potential of PC an additional card into something else down the line.

Official travel point totals as of 12/26/23 (1,382,693 Total Points)
Chase Ultimate Rewards 661,525 | IHG One Rewards 144,443 | Hilton Honors 143,801 | AMEX Membership Rewards 102,729 | World of Hyatt 90,413 | Marriott Bonvoy 65,343 | Citi Thank You 62,712 | Wells Fargo Rewards 33,652 | Southwest Rapid Rewards 28,105 | United MileagePlus 13,316 | British Airways Avios 12,333 | Jet Blue TrueBlue 11,661 | NASA Platinum Rewards 1,883 | AA Advantage 1,744 | Navy Federal Rewards 792 | Delta Sky Miles 175 | Virgin Atlantic Virgin Points 100 | Lowes Business Rewards 6,992 ($69.92) | Amazon Rewards 475 ($4.75) | Discover CB 499 ($4.99)
Message 12 of 18
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@PullingMeSoftly, For now I am keeping my Freedom a Freedom.

For the reasons you outlined, and also the possibility of a CFF green/black LOL/24 SUB.

Message 13 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mines is staying a freedom as well. Besides the 5% travel through chase everything else I got covered with other cards. Plus no more MasterCard cards for me.

Message 14 of 18
Hoben02
Frequent Contributor

Well Costco is a reason if it's included as a bonus category. Unless they count the Costco online website since MC is not physically allowed at stores

Chase (CSP,CF,CFU,southwest premier)
Barclay(jetblue, arrival)
Bofa(US pride, premium, travel, cash, Suzy komen)
Citi(Premier, Double cash, Costco)
Fnbo(Mlife)
Amex(everyday, cash, Hilton)
Blockfi
Caesars rewards
Sofi
Gemini
Cap One Savor One
Message 15 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@blindambition wrote:

It will convert to MC, so looks like you lose the Offers section for that card.

MC benefits will be slightly different than Visa's, but most rarely use them anyways.

It took a few days but my Chase Freedom Flex came alive with offers. What I am finding is quite extensive and even got my "just selected for you" back. Remember they told me at the opening that it could take one to three days for the full card benefits to populate. It actually took a few more days beyond three to see what I think is the whole availability. My offering are many.

Assuming I am talking about the same thing you are referring too? Smiley Surprised

Message 16 of 18
blindambition
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@blindambition wrote:

MC benefits will be slightly different than Visa's, but most rarely use them anyways.

It took a few days but my Chase Freedom Flex came alive with offers. What I am finding is quite extensive and even got my "just selected for you" back. Remember they told me at the opening that it could take one to three days for the full card benefits to populate. It actually took a few more days beyond three to see what I think is the whole availability. My offering are many.

Assuming I am talking about the same thing you are referring too? Smiley Surprised

That's good to know! I'm talking about the offers on restaurants, Kindle, those types.

Hope you enjoy your new Flex @Anonymous.

Smiley Happy

Message 17 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@blindambition wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@blindambition wrote:

That's good to know! I'm talking about the offers on restaurants, Kindle, those types.

Hope you enjoy your new Flex @Anonymous.

Smiley Happy

Talked with Chase ... the offers you are getting are different than what I get. They told me they follow our spending patterns and tailor them accordingly. My profile started as a Business Profile and some offers run that direction. Chase has given me home improvement types and I have taken good advantage of them and earned way beyond their categories of even those available in their stores. They have been good to me and they confirmed they follow the Freedom Visa I had.

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.