Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebuilder cards

tag
aquatic1
Established Contributor

Rebuilder cards

Ok, I am trying to wrap my head around the different types of cards to assist with rebuilding.  I see that HSBC has different types of cards and also Household.  My questions is which is the BESt route to go.  In my world, I don't have many options but please share your opinion in the starter cards.  Please know that my CU doesn't offer secured cards so that is not an option at this time until I find another CU that I am comfortable with and qualify to join.

Starting Score: EX:603
Current Score: EX:603 (10/16/19)
Goal Score: EX:740

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Rebuilder cards

I like HSBC builder cards.  I have an HSBC/Orchard and it has worked well for me.  I understand it will only grow so far (depending on what type of card you receive), but they're well-behaved and very easy to pay online.  Our local CU will work for us in another six months or so, so the Orchard worked well getting us started.  HSBC also has a pre-approval web site. 

Nice work on pulling those scores up!

Message 2 of 7
aquatic1
Established Contributor

Thank you for your response.  I will check the website out.  i have about three things on my reports that I pending so hopefully in a few weeks I will be able to be in the right place to apply.

Rebuilding credit has many ups and down and sometimes I feel as if I am on a plateau!  But I will not stop until I am in a place to qualify for a mortgage.  Its about time to own  so I am giving myself one more year. 

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

As far as apping for a mortgage, make sure you have one bank (or major i.e. Discover, CapOne, AmEx) card.  CU cards don't count in this category.  They do not care what your CL is, so even a small CL at a bank will work in your favor.

Just a note on the mortgage - we were planning on waiting til next Spring, and assumed we would need to go FHA because we're rebuilding credit.  We decided to app now (that's a different story), and found we were approved with traditional financing at 4 7/8%  Party!  You may not have to wait as long as you think.  Get a bank card under your belt and be prepared - you never know when things will happen!

Message 4 of 7
aquatic1
Established Contributor

Good for you!  I can only wish to qualify for a mortgage sooner rather than later.   I think that my next goal besides getting these last couple of collections off my reports is to get a bank card that doesn't include AF's.  Bank of America doesn't like me anymore so I am dealing with that.  CapOne and I are not friendly and my GW letters are falling on deaf ears!

@Anonymous wrote:

As far as apping for a mortgage, make sure you have one bank (or major i.e. Discover, CapOne, AmEx) card.  CU cards don't count in this category.  They do not care what your CL is, so even a small CL at a bank will work in your favor.

Just a note on the mortgage - we were planning on waiting til next Spring, and assumed we would need to go FHA because we're rebuilding credit.  We decided to app now (that's a different story), and found we were approved with traditional financing at 4 7/8%  Party!  You may not have to wait as long as you think.  Get a bank card under your belt and be prepared - you never know when things will happen!

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah.  CapOne and BofA don't want to come to my party, either.

HSBC is happy to be there. 

I'm actually an AU on BofA - but they're fickle and we're just toying with them.

Message 6 of 7
marty56
Super Contributor

I would check out sams.  Low CL to start and high interest rate.  Dont revolve a balance and you will get auto CLs over time.  Mine started at 300 and in 5 years, its up to 4100.
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.