Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebuilding Credit - Best Cards to Apply

tag
nj23
Regular Contributor

Rebuilding Credit - Best Cards to Apply

Hello

I am trying to rebuild my credit, and am wondering if anyone has any input as to which cards to apply for.  

Currently (checked in past few days) my scores are 690 EX, 686 EQ, 744 TU.  I live in Maryland. 

I have two open accounts, a Target store card with 200 limit (which I'm hoping they will increase - I hear they don't take requests), and a Cap One Quicksilver which was at 750 until very recently they upped it to 2250 when I asked.  Oldest closed account is nearly 10 years old. 

Inquiries are minimal ( maybe one on each) and the newest on any is August 2013. 

I have one delinquent account on each report, which is an Auto Loan that was closed (paid) in August 2007, and has what's described as either "not more than 4 late payments", or "a 30, 60, and 90 Day late" or "a 30 and 60 day late" depending on the bureau.  I'm assuming this will drop off in August or September, but I'm unsure as to how great of an impact this drop will be as my score is already in "good" territory, and these bad items are so old. 

Of course, I'm going to wait for the new CLI to appear on my reports (I figure May) before applying (unless the CLI won't help much - can't see it hurting), and my two open accounts should report a 0 balance for the May report (they are 0 now). 

I recently received a "pre-screened offer" from Discover IT, and recall maybe getting some AMEX offer months ago.

Besides the Discover IT, which others would be good choices, and does anyone know of any that pull TU in Maryland?  I would like to maybe get 2 additional cards (unless that's too many, or if 2 isn't enough maybe more - any help with this one would be appreciated).  FICO says two of the things "hurting" my scores are low number of accounts, and lack of variety of credit (its unlikely I will be taking an auto loan or home loan out anytime soon, I live in an urban area and can get by without a car and too young and single to buy property).  I've heard it's OK to apply to several cards in a short period of time.  Of course I will continue paying in full with any new cards I get and keep utilization low. 

Any other related advice would be appreciated.

Thanks for your time.  

FICO TU: 768 (Post-Spree 7/14 Discover FICO) FICO EX: 734 (post-spree 7/6) FICO EQ: 730 (7/15 Lender pull after INQs)
6% utility July 29th. Back into the Garden after a successful spree...for real this time Smiley Very Happy
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Jamex
Frequent Contributor

Re: Rebuilding Credit - Best Cards to Apply

I'd start with a Barclay's card - they only pull TU. With your score, you'll likely have choices. I'm at 680 TU and got the Rewards for Average Credit at 3k - you'd probably qualify for the Arrival (and get a sweet sign up bonus!)

Good luck, and look forward to hearing what you decide to do.
Starting score 3/30/13: 570s across the board
As of 2/17/18: EX 802 | EQ 809 | TU 811

CSR 34K | Freedom 21K | Marriott 24K | Alaska 21K | Citi Dividend 5.9K | Barclay Rewards MC 15K | DCU Visa 10K | AX SPG 24K | AX PRG NPSL | AX Green NPSL | AX EDP 10K | Cap One Venture 20K | SFCU Visa 15K | Barclay Arrival+ 24K (AU) | BankAmericard 13.5K (AU)

Message 2 of 5
Jeff007245
Regular Contributor

Go for the Discover and AMEX. Only Barclay I would recommend is the Sallie Mae.

Garden
2/16/14
|*****1/2014 - NPSL*****| *4/2011 6,000 CL* |*11/2011 - 5,000 CL*| *9/2012 - 850 CL* | *1/2014 - 500 CL* |*2/2014 - 6,000 CL*|
Message 3 of 5
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

I sent you a personal message I hope it helps.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 4 of 5
HotTamale

Can you send me your recommendations for the best cards to apply for in order to build credit as well?  Thanks in advance!

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.