Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebuilding Credit! CC Help!

tag
crimsondiva26
Established Member

Rebuilding Credit! CC Help!

Hi All!

I am a 25 year old teacher and for the past year I have been attempting to rebuild my credit! When I was in college, I did some foolish things and got behind on a First Premier Bank card (insert groan)! My credit score was at about 614 towards the end of 2013 and it is currently at 653. I have been working really hard to pay off any balances that I owe on my CC's. I make okay money (about $44,500 a year), so I am trying to pay off any baddies that I have on my credit. 

I currently have a Credit One Bank card with a CL of $750.00, a Capital One Platinum with a CL of $750.00, and a department store CC with a CL of $650.00. I recently got approved for an American Express Green Card with NPSL. I don't want to have so many CC's open, so I was wondering should I close 1 or 2 out and which ones should I close out? OR should I just keep all of them open with a balance of 0 and primarily use my AMEX.

I am interested in buying a house around this time next year, so I am trying to make the best decisions that will help my credit score go up!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! 

Thanks!

AMEX Green: NPSL | Chase Freedom: $3.2K | Walmart: $2.4K | Old Navy: $1.9K | Torrid CC: $1.8K | Capital One Quicksilver $1.5K | Credit One CC: $950 | Capital One Platinum CC: $750 |

Current Credit Scores: Experian: 707 | Equifax: 669 | Transunion: 693
Goal Credit Score: 750 or higher in ALL
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
DevotionToU
Regular Contributor

Re: Rebuilding Credit! CC Help!

If they have no AF's, there's really no reason to close them.  Just sock drawer them and let them keep showing a good payment history (use them every once in a while).

$18000 Discover IT / $6000 Chase Freedom / $5000 DCU Visa / $3900 Fifth Third / $2500 Capital One Quicksilver / $2000 AMEX Blue Cash Everyday / $500 Chase Slate
Message 2 of 11
parakleet
Valued Contributor

@DevotionToU wrote:

If they have no AF's, there's really no reason to close them.  Just sock drawer them and let them keep showing a good payment history (use them every once in a while).

There are two different schools of thought on closing cards that you don't need@. Some prefer to do what @DevotionToU recommends and others prefer to close out cards that you have no need for since closing them will not adversely affect your AAOA for 10 years. Closing them may have a negative impact on utlization so it might be a good idea to get cards that you really will use to replace the ones you don't find as useful. Of course, there's absolutely no need to keep sub-prime cards with AF.

Gardening since 7/16/14
Current: EQ 711 7/13/14; EX 724 TU 721 6/19/14
Goal: 760+
Message 3 of 11
PrimeRate
Frequent Contributor

Not sure how long ago you apped for the Green NPSL, but maybe you want to try calling the backdoor credit analyst # and see if they can use the same hard pull for a revolver(2-for-1 is common AMEX practice). If you get approved for a decent CL on the revolver, then maybe consider closing those "Rebuilding Cards" or just SD them as others have said(as long as they don't have annual fees).

☮ & ❤
Message 4 of 11
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

I would not be closing anything, you actually want to have better revolving bankcards than the ones you have (Credit 1 & Cap1). You need to sit down and decide what you want in a card and then go after the ones that will match your spending. You need to have 3 open revolving bankcards to help maximize your score, you have 2 so I would be thinking about what your next one will be. Do not rush into anything if you are going to buy a home next year, you dont want new accounts opened 6 months  prior to the mortgage app. Good luck and welcome to the board Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 11
aubie1kenobie2
Frequent Contributor

I would not close the cards without AFs for now, use it once in a while and pay in full everytime. Once your score gets better and you qualify for better cards, then maybe you can think about closing them if you don't have a need for them anymore. Congrats on raising your score and good luck on your journey!

Starting Score: No credit history in July 2013, 663 in August (lender pulled)
Current Score: 773 (Discover FICO), 749 (DCU EQ)
Ultimate goal: Buy a house in 2016!
Message 6 of 11
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I would not close any cards right now when you have so few.

I would see about Product Changing the Cap1 Platinum to Quicksilver.

Message 7 of 11
crimsondiva26
Established Member

Got a Capital One Quicksilver! Not sure what to do!

Hi All!

I recently applied for a Capital One Quicksilver CC and got approved with a $1000 CL. I currently have a Credit One CC with $750 CL, a Capital One Platnium CC with $750, a Torrid CC (store in the mall) with a $650 CL, and an AMEX Green Card with NPSL. Two of those cards are credit repair cards. Since I was approved to get the Quicksilver, I wanted to see should I cancel out one of my credit repair CC's, preferably the Capital One Platinum OR just keep it and never use it!

Trying to raise my credit score so that I can buy a house this time next year! Any advice would help!!!

Thanks!

AMEX Green: NPSL | Chase Freedom: $3.2K | Walmart: $2.4K | Old Navy: $1.9K | Torrid CC: $1.8K | Capital One Quicksilver $1.5K | Credit One CC: $950 | Capital One Platinum CC: $750 |

Current Credit Scores: Experian: 707 | Equifax: 669 | Transunion: 693
Goal Credit Score: 750 or higher in ALL
Message 8 of 11
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Got a Capital One Quicksilver! Not sure what to do!

@crimsondiva26 wrote:

Hi All!

I recently applied for a Capital One Quicksilver CC and got approved with a $1000 CL. I currently have a Credit One CC with $750 CL, a Capital One Platnium CC with $750, a Torrid CC (store in the mall) with a $650 CL, and an AMEX Green Card with NPSL. Two of those cards are credit repair cards. Since I was approved to get the Quicksilver, I wanted to see should I cancel out one of my credit repair CC's, preferably the Capital One Platinum OR just keep it and never use it!

Trying to raise my credit score so that I can buy a house this time next year! Any advice would help!!!

Thanks!

OP,

I merged your threads together.  In the future, refrain from posting duplicative posts.

thank you!

Lexie, myFICO Moderator

Message 9 of 11
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@crimsondiva26 wrote:

I don't want to have so many CC's open, so I was wondering should I close 1 or 2 out and which ones should I close out? OR should I just keep all of them open with a balance of 0 and primarily use my AMEX.

Make sure you read and understand this sticky to help you make an educated decision.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Closing-Credit-Cards/m-p/347190?jump=true

Also consider this:

http://www.myfico.com/crediteducation/whatsinyourscore.aspx

Don't just consider number of cards but consider your utilization (the 30% slice of the pie in the link above) as well.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.