Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebuilding-Need higher limit for business travel

tag
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

Re: Rebuilding-Need higher limit for business travel

Might be a good idea to make friends with one of your co-workers perhaps your manager and have them charge the airline tickets and perhaps motel/hotel rooms for you until you get situated, then they can pick up rewards points, knowing they will get reimbursed from the company. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 41 of 63
swpopham
Established Contributor

I think OP has made up his mind it sounds. I think we should all sit back and see what they have to say.

"As long as the music is playing, you've got to get up and dance," he said. "We're still dancing."---Prince CEO Citi Bank

"Money isn't the most important thing in life, but it's reasonably close to oxygen on the "gotta have it" scale". ~Zig Ziglar
Message 42 of 63
Swiftd03
Established Member

Plane tickets are always paid in advance by the company. When I travel I am not traveling with anyone so having another person pay isn't really an option. Plus I am trying to avoid being "that guy" unless I absolutely have to. So in response to swpopham I am still open to any ideas but at this point I have already E-mailed the EO at Cap One. I will try to work it out with them whether that means getting a CLI (slim chance I know) or opening a partially secured line with the couple hundred dollars I do have available to me that is my first try. After that I will try opening another card with either BOA or something similar. Then move on to a possible loan against my vehicle. If nothing works I am going to have to ask that they accomidate me in some way or borrow from a relative but those are last options.

Message 43 of 63
Swiftd03
Established Member

Scenery_guy,

Thanks for the help, when I am traveling it will be Monday-Friday rental car will be Monday early afternoon to Friday afternoon, insurance is covered if I put it all on my Cap One Mastercard. 4 Nights for the hotel, depending on where I am going and rates at the time it is $115-$185 a night including taxes. Meals are a mix of personal and with others but again are all reimbursed. Reimbursement rate is different depending on where I am at but is around $35 a day usually. Besides that it is just the baggage fees $20 each way and the occasional small supplies. In total maximum I am estimating is $1,500 for the whole week, all reimbursable. 

If I was able to get a CLI to take my Cap One card to $1,000 and do a secured card at $500 I could cover it all. Use the $1K for hotel and gas, $500 for everything else. If anything goes over use debit card for the food and gas. As long as the rental car and hotel can be covered the rest I can cover out of pocket and wait for reimbursement if I have to. I appreciate the optimism, I know I am going to get it done but the road there sucks in the mean time.

Message 44 of 63
toppers555
Established Contributor

@Swiftd03 wrote:

Scenery_guy,

Thanks for the help, when I am traveling it will be Monday-Friday rental car will be Monday early afternoon to Friday afternoon, insurance is covered if I put it all on my Cap One Mastercard. 4 Nights for the hotel, depending on where I am going and rates at the time it is $115-$185 a night including taxes. Meals are a mix of personal and with others but again are all reimbursed. Reimbursement rate is different depending on where I am at but is around $35 a day usually. Besides that it is just the baggage fees $20 each way and the occasional small supplies. In total maximum I am estimating is $1,500 for the whole week, all reimbursable. 

If I was able to get a CLI to take my Cap One card to $1,000 and do a secured card at $500 I could cover it all. Use the $1K for hotel and gas, $500 for everything else. If anything goes over use debit card for the food and gas. As long as the rental car and hotel can be covered the rest I can cover out of pocket and wait for reimbursement if I have to. I appreciate the optimism, I know I am going to get it done but the road there sucks in the mean time.

With that $1500 est IMO you are going to be extremely borderline, unless you have already include holds in that $1500. car rentals alone like hertz usuall place 200% hold.  hotels can vary from $100 to $1000. 

TU 715 No apps to 05/13 cash+ 5/13!!! 738 TU CSP April 13!!!CSP approved May 13!!!

Message 45 of 63
QueenofReinvention
Contributor

@Swiftd03, good luck and I hope Cap One is able to assist in some way. In respect to your rental, etc. I would recommend renting at Alamo, National and Enterprise. They (typically, but can be state specific) do NOT charge over and above the rental amount; ie, if your rental for 4 nights/5 days is $225, that's what will be held on your card. With other companies, like Hertz and Avis, they can and do pull drivers' license records and credit reports too, as well as significant holds.

Also, how much lead time do you have for your trips? Is it something that comes up pretty quickly, or do you have a month or so lead time? Depending on that, I have some options for you too. You'll make it through, and it does suck when companies do that. When I was in Corp America, I had a position where I traveled pretty frequently and I had one ocassion where I had to do the reimbursable thing and I flat out told my manager that I need a Corp card, because I was in school at the time getting my MBA and while the company paid 50% of it, I still had to come out of pocket for the remainder, so I just didn't have extra money lying around to cover expenses that the company would and should be paying for. She got me a card. I understand your position is different in that you are new in this role, as I'd been with this manager for a couple of years, so I had no fear in telling her I wasn't paying anything out-of-pocket. Also, I was good at what I did, so they definitely wanted me in court for them at any hearings and such. Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Message 46 of 63
toppers555
Established Contributor

@QueenofReinvention wrote:

@Swiftd03, good luck and I hope Cap One is able to assist in some way. In respect to your rental, etc. I would recommend renting at Alamo, National and Enterprise. They (typically, but can be state specific) do NOT charge over and above the rental amount; ie, if your rental for 4 nights/5 days is $225, that's what will be held on your card. With other companies, like Hertz and Avis, they can and do pull drivers' license records and credit reports too, as well as significant holds.

Also, how much lead time do you have for your trips? Is it something that comes up pretty quickly, or do you have a month or so lead time? Depending on that, I have some options for you too. You'll make it through, and it does suck when companies do that. When I was in Corp America, I had a position where I traveled pretty frequently and I had one ocassion where I had to do the reimbursable thing and I flat out told my manager that I need a Corp card, because I was in school at the time getting my MBA and while the company paid 50% of it, I still had to come out of pocket for the remainder, so I just didn't have extra money lying around to cover expenses that the company would and should be paying for. She got me a card. I understand your position is different in that you are new in this role, as I'd been with this manager for a couple of years, so I had no fear in telling her I wasn't paying anything out-of-pocket. Also, I was good at what I did, so they definitely wanted me in court for them at any hearings and such. Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

DL record ,and credit pulls are only for rentals with debit card from what I have seen in their policy ,and heard. I have never had my cr or dl record pull. From any rental company.

TU 715 No apps to 05/13 cash+ 5/13!!! 738 TU CSP April 13!!!CSP approved May 13!!!

Message 47 of 63
Swiftd03
Established Member

Some times the trips are last minute, booked Thursday or Friday for Monday departure but these are rare. For most I have at least 2 weeks lead time.

Message 48 of 63
Swiftd03
Established Member

OK so this is slightly off topic but here is the goodwill letter that was just sent to Wells Fargo. Here's hoping. Feel free to tear it apart because it's already been sent.

NAME

XXXX Address

XXXXXXX, XXXXX, XXXXX-XXXX

March 17, 2013

Mr. John Stumpf

Wells Fargo Home Mortgage

P.O. Box 10335

Des Moines, IA 50306-0335

RE: Wells Fargo Home Mortgage account #XXXXXXXXXXXX

Dear Mr. Stumpf:

I am a customer of both Wells Fargo Bank N.A. and Wells Fargo Home Mortgage. I have a pressing issue that I hope to receive some assistance from Wells Fargo with. My wife and I opened a mortgage loan with Wells Fargo in XXXXX 20XX. Due to circumstances out of our control including the loss of 2 jobs and a severe injury that I received while working as an XXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX we fell behind on our mortgage payments.

Once we realized that we were not going to be able to make our payments we contacted WFHM and began working on a modification plan to bring our account current and maintain our commitment to pay our only debt. At this time even though we had put down $40,000 on our home we had a balance of $211,000 and the property's value was still declining down to $150,000 when our modification was completed after more than a year of trial payments. Several individuals, including family, a lawyer and a Realtor all advised us to file for bankruptcy and walk away from the property. We decided that since we had made the commitment to Wells Fargo that we would maintain that commitment and not cause a substantial loss to your company. Due to this we have been struggling ever since to make ends meet.

Recently I was able to gain employment that allowed us to balance our family budget and although we are still struggling we are able to meet our commitments and still put food on the table. I have excelled in this new position and was just offered an opportunity to move up in the company, including a substantial raise. As part of this position I am required to obtain a company credit card to pay for travel expenses. I was denied that credit card due to the reported late mortgage payments on my credit report, therefore the promotion offer was rescinded pending a reevaluation in the next 60-90 days.

I am requesting that, purely out of good will, Wells Fargo Home Mortgage adjust the reported late payments to either no data or paid as agreed to the major credit reporting bureaus. This would allow me to take on this new position which in turn would drastically improve my family's financial situation. I realize this is a substantial request but I can assure you that it would be mutually beneficial to me and to Wells Fargo in the future. I greatly appreciate your service, time and consideration in this matter and all business that I've done with Wells Fargo.

Sincerely,

CONTACT INFO REMOVED

Let me know what you think.

Message 49 of 63
Swiftd03
Established Member

They pulled my driving record once when I was 23 because I was below their "advisory age limit". Other than that never had an issue with it except one time they wanted to do a $600 authorization for a $250 rental when my CL is $500. Spoke to the manager and they reduced it to $450 which is still sort of excessive but more standard.

Message 50 of 63
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.